Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Was the "Extended Data" X10 message ever used?  (Read 1375 times)

Tashtari

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Was the "Extended Data" X10 message ever used?
« on: July 19, 2023, 10:22:47 AM »

Reading technicalnote.pdf, it mentions "Extended Data" (1100) as a message type.  xtdcode.pdf redefines this as "Extended Code 2" and specifies that it is "for meter read & DSM".

From what I've been able to glean, it seems like xtdcode.pdf is somewhat aspirational, defining extensions to X10 that were rarely used, if ever.  Does anyone know if the Extended Data/Extended Code 2 message was ever used in an actual product (and what its format was)?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Was the "Extended Data" X10 message ever used?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 10:32:51 AM »

I think it was used on a few niche devices (e.g., curtain openers) but since most people only think of X10 as lighting and those creepy popup voyeurism ads, very few of the extended devices made it into the wild.  Others have more knowledge of the deep cut X10 devices so they may be able to list a few more.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 11:32:30 AM »

I don't remember seeing anything on Extended Code 2.

Extended Code is used by X10 dimmers to directly set the On level.
Called Soft Start. Directly set the On Level. Wall switch dimmers also have a Preset Dim feature.
The older X10 dimmers where On full and then string of dim down commands or Bright commands. Depending if the program knew the original On level. That is why their is two dimmer sections in Active Home Pro.
One called Before Soft Start. Full On string of Dim down or Bright commands.
Both versions will still do the On Full and string of dim down or Bright commands.
Smarthome used a different On Level Command with their X10 compatibles.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:50:47 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 12:52:43 PM »

The X10 Wiki has lots of information in it. If you have not seen it.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

The LM14A and AM14A where two way modules.
You could send them a Status Request and get a status message back.
Since they didn't remember their state at power loss. They also sent the controller a message asking their last known state. At power up.
Some Smarthome X10 compatibles where two way as are the Insteon Modules with optional X10 support. That they have officially dropped for later versions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 01:05:45 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 12:21:50 AM »

Reading technicalnote.pdf, it mentions "Extended Data" (1100) as a message type.  xtdcode.pdf redefines this as "Extended Code 2" and specifies that it is "for meter read & DSM".

All our Leviton Dimmers use extended codes to set brightness directly.  The Ocelot and HomeVision controllers support extended codes.  So do the TW523, CM11A, CM15A, and the XTB devices that emulate them.  Some of the PC-based automation programs that use the CM11A and CM15A for a powerline interface support extended codes.  The Smartenit controllers do not, which is why I ruled them out as a controller.

Insteon products used the pre-set dim commands to set brightness directly, but extended codes offer higher resolution.  When ramping an extended code slowly there is no discernible difference between steps.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tashtari

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 10:27:33 AM »

All our Leviton Dimmers use extended codes to set brightness directly.  The Ocelot and HomeVision controllers support extended codes.

Those use Extended Code (0111) though, right?  What I'm curious about is Extended Data (1100), which doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, except a brief mention in technicalnote.pdf that mentions it should be followed by a length byte and then that many bytes of data, but I don't know if any devices ever used it.  If there is any documentation that anyone knows of, I'd be very interested to see it...

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 08:57:29 PM »

Those use Extended Code (0111) though, right?  What I'm curious about is Extended Data (1100), which doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, except a brief mention in technicalnote.pdf that mentions it should be followed by a length byte and then that many bytes of data.

There is a document floating around the web that goes into detail on extended codes.  Somewhere I have a copy because I used it when designing the XTBM firmware.  As I recall, both the extended command and data codes have similar formats.  I am not aware of any device that expands beyond the 31-bit extended format, which is why I only supported that in the XTB products.

Jeff

Tashtari

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 01:26:10 AM »

There is a document floating around the web that goes into detail on extended codes.  Somewhere I have a copy because I used it when designing the XTBM firmware.

If you find it or know where to find it, I'd love to see it!  It'd be useful to add functionality to pyx10.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 10:00:20 AM »

If you find it or know where to find it, I'd love to see it!  It'd be useful to add functionality to pyx10.

I have it as a .doc file.  If you would give me your email address in a personal message, I'll send you a copy as an attachment.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.