Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Observations of a LampLinc, or, X10 Dimming is Weird  (Read 1256 times)

Tashtari

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Observations of a LampLinc, or, X10 Dimming is Weird
« on: July 27, 2023, 10:07:30 AM »

So, I've been experimenting a bit with a SmartHome LampLinc (2000SHL) module I got on ebay to try and learn more about the nitty-gritty of X10 dimming commands, and its behavior is a bit surprising.

This module responds to the "preset dim" command as detailed in technicalnote.pdf, but curiously, this only accesses the first 32 of apparently 33 dim levels (as read by my old Radio Cack multimeter), with the 33rd level only settable with the "on" command.  The regular "dim" and "bright" commands seem to go down or up by one of the 33 dim levels when sent in double form or in single (non-repeated) form.  When sent a dim or bright command in triple, though, it appears to go down or up by approximately 3½ of the 33 dim levels; in quadruple, 6½, in quintuple, 9. 

In sum, it seems that individual dim/brights are measured on the 33-point scale, but repeated dim/brights are measured on a scale of about 13 points from fully off to fully on.  This is quite different from the 22-point scale assumed by the CM11A interface.  Maybe that's because the LampLinc module is made by SmartHome and not X-10 themselves?  I don't have any X-10 lamp modules to test with to see if they do the same thing, at least not yet, but I'm curious now to see if they hold to the 22-point scale defined by the CM11A.

Anyway, just thought this was interesting.  I might have to change how I represent dimming in pyx10 depending on what I find out...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Observations of a LampLinc, or, X10 Dimming is Weird
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 08:34:41 AM »

First thing I would recommend is doing a Factory Reset (In the attached manual) so you don't have options like Resume Dim or Ramp Rate set to other than known default values .
I believe you are correct on the preset dim findings.
The Insteon models that can also accept an X10 Address (and some a Scene Address also) respond to full On and Off and not follow a preset dim of 100% or 0%.
They also could be controlled in the CM15A Active Home Pro if defined as an old before Soft Start version as the Soft Start  use the extended commands. Smarthome did not use over the Preset Dim.
I have many Smarthome and Insteon manuals in archive if you need them.
You should find some information in the specification page for the 2000SHL Manual attached.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:24:07 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 09:29:40 AM »

There are also other manufacturers module lines that where made for them OEM from X10.
So from time to time they also may show up on Ebay and other places.
Radio Shack's X10 compatible modules. Plug'n Power.
Black and Decker Freewire line is also X10 compatible power line wise but RF differences.
Like the FWLR dimmer module is a before soft start X10 module.
With a protective fuse, rounded cover and nice knobs to set the X10 Address.
RCA's HC10LM
If you do get some X10 dimmer modules. Check the small round white sticker on the back.
That will give you a before or after soft start version.
Although the soft start ramping on and off is a dead giveaway.
I may have data on many R.S., Smarthome, Freewire and X10 devices in my archives.
If you need any information.
There are some here that have used many different manufactures devices. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 09:32:34 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 06:45:15 AM »

Did a test with a Date Code 09J44 Soft Start LM465.
HR12A Palm Pad Remote.
AHP (CM15A Interface Transceived House Codes disabled.) Soft Start Lamps list.
WGL V572A All House Code Receiver through the TW523 Emulation port on a JV Digital XTB-IIR X10 coupler repeater.
The standard Dim commands from the HR12A. It does not dim down below ~20%
Extended Commands from AHP may have gone dimmer but hard to see on a 100W Incandescent bulb.
So you may see a few other quirks in your dim tests of X10 LM465 modules

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.