Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alexa  (Read 4061 times)

whstoneman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Alexa
« on: December 09, 2023, 07:22:27 AM »

Has there been any discussion with X10 to link with Alexa, etal? 

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Alexa
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 01:46:22 PM »

rofl  >*<  B:(
I wouldn't bet on it. Several other ways to do it though. I control all my X10 with Alexa using a Smartenit Harmony. I also trigger X10 from Yolink sensors through Alexa.

Yolink sensor on package drop--> Alexa--> Smartenit--> X10

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:05:25 PM »

I've been using HA Bridge for about a year. HA Bridge sends TCP commands to a program of my own creation running on a PC, which then drives a CM11A.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 08:25:27 PM »

I control all my X10 with Alexa using a Smartenit Harmony.

I also have been using Alexa with the Smartenit Harmony for a few X10 devices, but recently there have been some significant response delays - maybe 10 or 20 seconds before the X10 command is issued.  Usually it is 3 or 4 seconds.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

SkipWX10

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »

+1 for the Smartenit Harmony

brobin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 12:29:27 PM »

I also have been using Alexa with the Smartenit Harmony for a few X10 devices, but recently there have been some significant response delays - maybe 10 or 20 seconds before the X10 command is issued.  Usually it is 3 or 4 seconds.

Jeff

That's strange... I haven't experienced that at all. I'm seeing response times of typically less than 1 second from the time I hear the Alexa tone. Sadly, Smartenit has been out of stock on the Harmony for many months and the new Harmony Pico has yet to be released.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »

Jeff

That's strange... I haven't experienced that at all. I'm seeing response times of typically less than 1 second from the time I hear the Alexa tone. Sadly, Smartenit has been out of stock on the Harmony for many months and the new Harmony Pico has yet to be released.

Usually it works fine:  I say "Alexa... family room off".  Count 1 - 2 - 3 - click!  But when that doesn't happen I head for the local PalmPad.  Sometimes it turns off before I reach the button, and sometimes it doesn't.

Then I have an Ocelot macro for our media room that gradually dims the lights over a minute using extended codes. The sequence is triggered by "Alexa... theater off".  Sometimes nothing happens, and I dim them manually at the switch.  Several times the lights came back on 10 to 20 seconds later, and dimmed per the macro.  So either the Alexa trigger was delayed or the Harmony took its time sending it to the Ocelot.  It worked 100% when I triggered the macro from a PalmPad.

I wonder if Alexa says "OK" when it accepts the command or when it actually issues it.

Jeff

brobin

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »

I wonder if Alexa says "OK" when it accepts the command or when it actually issues it.

Jeff
I've had times when the action actually occurs before I hear the confirmation if the command is sent directly to an Alexa enabled device i.e. an Alexa lamp module, Jandy iAqualink or Lutron lighting bridge.

Even fairly complex combinations are incredibly fast.  My Yolink door sensor mounted in my porch package box tells Alexa to tell the Harmony to send an X10 code to trigger a macro in the Stargate.  I don't know why, but the only one that consistently takes an extra second or two is the command to close the garage door which is based on Alexa telling the Harmony to send an X10 command that triggers the Stargate to momentarily close a relay (which is hardwired to a garage door remote button).

brobin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »

I should also mention for the OP and others looking to add Alexa control of X10 that the Broadlink RM4 Pro does the job well and is fairly inexpensive at about $40 from:
 https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Universal-Learning-Entertainment-Compatible/dp/B083LBMX64?th=1

A PalmPad is used to train the RF codes and an X10 transceiver or CM15A is used to receive from the RM4 Pro and transmit X10.  When Smartenit had a server glitch about a year ago I bought one as a backup and found that it worked perfectly if located in the same room as the transceiver.  Like the Harmony, I only use it to send on/off commands to trigger macros in my Stargate.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 06:58:55 AM »

I've used the Broadlink  Pro on and off for several years now for Alexa. The only times it failed me was when the grand kids or dog got behind the sofa and knocked out the plug. I've experimented with several methods for X10 Alexa control but always went back to it.
I liked it so well I bought another for my off grid place. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

guyl

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »

As brobin observed, I often hear the "Ok" after the command has been actually sent (with my HA Bridge setup). It's very fast. It might have something to do whether it's something Alexa does over the cloud, vs as a local command over the lan.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:35:05 AM by guyl »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 11:25:38 AM »

The Alexa "Ok" indicates that Alexa recieved the acknowledgement from the other side that the command was recieved. Depending on internet speed and one's network that could be before the module is turned on or after. If a Ok is received but nothing happens there could be a issue with the x10 command not being sent or something is blocking/delaying the signal.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 12:07:30 AM »

The Alexa "Ok" indicates that Alexa recieved the acknowledgement from the other side that the command was recieved. Depending on internet speed and one's network that could be before the module is turned on or after. If a Ok is received but nothing happens there could be a issue with the x10 command not being sent or something is blocking/delaying the signal.

I went back to the PalmPad triggering the macros, and reliability has been 100% with rapid response.  I'd estimate that Alexa was in the 90% range with sometimes a lengthy delay. It seems to be dependent on time of day, with reliability and response time significantly better after 10PM.  So that could indeed be a function of internet delay.

Jeff

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 05:24:25 AM »

Jeff the irony is that everyone in the household these days have at least one mobile device (phone) in their possession which can probably activate any x10 switching device when required either by tapping the screen (local and quicker) or voice activated (slight delay). The secret to improved response times is a local solution rather than a cloud solution. Personally I don’t use cloud services for home automation so I don’t experience the delays outlined here.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 09:08:25 PM »

Jeff the irony is that everyone in the household these days have at least one mobile device (phone) in their possession which can probably activate any x10 switching device when required either by tapping the screen (local and quicker) or voice activated (slight delay).

Not quite...  I do have a cellphone that my wife convinced me to carry when out hiking.  It is on a prepaid plan that costs $10 for 120 days service.  I did use it for awhile when the WM100 came out, but now it lives in my backpack for GPS tracking.  Her cellphone is usually on the kitchen desk when she is home.

A Palmpad or Maxi Controller is usually within reach or just a few steps away.

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.