Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 devices are starting to fail plus system is (generally) old  (Read 1204 times)

Recycled Steel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 devices are starting to fail plus system is (generally) old
« on: December 14, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »

I have an X10 system which has been working fine, however, in recent years some controllers have started to fail and replacing them has been problematic, often having to buy used devices.

My system is all on a DIN Rail so each set of light(s) has only a pos and neg running to it. Modern light bulbs simply do not work well with the system, they now flicker as they come on/off. Some just stay on, some just flicker if on full brightness, some just do not work. I have ended up replacing dud controllers with non-dimmable modules as it seems to work better with modern bulbs but now I can not dim them of course.

I want to replace the system but what with? None of the lights have a "switching" cable in the wall! they are all presented in a cabinet with only a pos and neg to them. I have a CM15Pro and wireless switches stuck to the wall.

This all sounded like a great idea 15 years ago when I installed it and incandescent bulbs were still available (it was so nice with them). My entire house was gutted including all internal walls so it was just a shell. The idea was I could knock down any wall and move if need be and not worry to much about cabling.

So in short, is there a modern DIN Rail alternative to Marmitek X10 inline module that I can simply replace and have some kind of wireless wall switch and if possible work with Alexa(ish) devices.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 devices are starting to fail plus system is (generally) old
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 09:34:29 AM »

Marmitek X10 inline modules.
They are 220V 50Hz.
So you want to find modules or a later system to work on your standards?

Recycled Steel

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 01:44:18 PM »

The problem is the modern bulbs just do not work well with the Marmitek stuff. Even if I get expensive dimmable, etc. tried many types.

Apparently the 60w minimum dimming is not so good these days, needs to be more like 5w. This is what I have been told, I do not know what this means really.

The old incandescent bulbs work really well, however, they are getting hard to find plus we have an energy saving grant thing which you get told off about it you are running these old bulbs. The new types also break often in this system.

On a side note, I had an "argument" with the inspector when he came round because I had incandescent bulbs dotted around the house. I told him it was winter and I put my old bulbs back in as the loose in energy is just heat which it ultimately negated by my heating not working so hard. I did not win as he just ticks boxes so... However, was I right? On reflection am not sure now as my heat pump is probably more efficient at making heat.

Recycled Steel

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 04:29:09 PM »

Can I add images on the forum? Or is it just links to images?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 06:17:43 AM »

You have to have to be past your Newbie status for things like photos.
I understand your problem with modern bulbs. They have a similar action with our X10 modules.
We have found  by trial and error. Some brands do work better than others.
X10 and your Marmitek have issues with those bulbs but the Insteon ones have similar issues.
I have seen some posts here and on the Insteon forums. They have found a add on component you put across the bulb, That sometimes calms thing down.
I have not seen many modules that can dim down to maybe 40% with out the bulb popping Off. Again some brands are better then others.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 06:22:46 AM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »

A choke between the switch and the fixture should solve that.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.