Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are your favorite X-10 (or related) Modules?  (Read 1127 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
What are your favorite X-10 (or related) Modules?
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:11:18 PM »

Over the years I think I have experienced most of the available (even if no longer available) X-10 modules, including the Leviton ones and the Radio Shack ones. I have a number that I consider my favorites.

I really like virtually all of the X-10 remotes, keyfob, credit card, palmpad and one or 2 others I cannot think the name of. Admittedly my discovery of them was in the Pre Alexa and Google days when voice control was yet to be realized, but I still find them useful, for controlling any of my controllable devices, including Z-wave ones.

Admittedly, part of what they worked so well for me was due in large part to the WGL572, an all code receiver with the ability to hook to an external antenna. No more multiple 751 receivers strategically placed around the house! Sadly the 572 is no more, but if you ever run across one for sale, BUY it!

I will restrict my likes to one per post, and, I think it is appropriate to point out other competing items in other systems that are also available where I find them as good as or potentially better than the older X-10 offerrings.

In that vein, I have started experimenting with a new offering called Yolink. Their products are well constructed and very fairly priced, but what I find most interesting about them is that they communicate through low frequency long range radio signals. Their range is supposedly 1/4 mile in open air.

They make a series of 4 key controllers, akin to some of the X-10 offerings. Their range obviates the need for the 572, and using EISY, I believe I can effectively turn them into any kind of controller I like, including an X-10 controller. I say believe because I ordered one to try out, and it should arrive next week. Reading up on it I think it will do exactly as I stated, but I will report back once I have one in hand.

Stay tuned I have several more favorites, some of which I suspect a number of folks might not be familiar with.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 01:15:43 PM by glacier991 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What are your favorite X-10 (or related) Modules?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 01:35:43 PM »

Insteon 2456S3 Appliance Module. With an X10 address added to it.
In between X10 and Insteon. I also have Smarthome X10 compatible modules. Now in a big storage tub.
I could not stand the X10 Appliance Modules loud clunk when changing states. Though many say the clunk is a positive feedback the signal got through.

The Insteon and Smarthome X10 dimmers used a different dim command for setting levels directly but the old full on and dim down does work.
HR12A and UR19A remotes.

There where actually three V572 models. The V572A with no LED on the back used a data wired cable. The V572A/B and the one specially made for a Smarthome kit. Have the status LED on the back and use the phone style cable.
They all used the now discontinued X10 TW523 two way module, XTB523, TW523 emulation port on the side of the XTB-IIR.
The JV Digital XTB523 is still in stock and definitely is a much better interface then a TW523.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 01:43:03 PM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 02:05:38 PM »

I'm a fan of Yolink as well.  I currently have about 35 devices in use.  The longest distance I have is about 120 feet with the hub well inside my concrete block home and the sensor inside a metal mailbox at the curb.  Works perfectly!  They claim a battery life of 2 years on the sensors and I can attest that after just short of two years I haven't had to replace any.  I like that the app displays signal strength and battery level for each device.

I currently use about 10 leak detectors, a motion sensor, temp/humidity sensor, half a dozen door sensors and some appliance modules with 2 speaker hubs and one basic hub.  I'm told that a dimmable lamp module is due this year as well as a new hub with more features.  I like that only the hubs are connected to the web and actions can be paired directly between sensors and modules.  Alexa integration is excellent and everything works without even having to have Alexa 'discover devices' - they just work.

I had one surprising (in a good way) experience with Yolink that even their support people can't seem to explain.  After Hurricane Ian we were left without power and internet.  The whole house genset took care of power but Xfinity was offline for almost 2 weeks.  The router was running without internet and the Yolink hubs remained connected to it.  My phone, which hosts the Yolink app, had WiFi turned off so I could use 5G for internet.  Surprisingly, I was still getting notifications from the sensors!  I asked Yolink support how that could be and the only thing they said is that the hub will look for other networks to connect to.  The only "other network" was my phone but the hub didn't appear in the connected device list so I'm stumped on that one but consider it a plus.

Adding a device is simple as dirt. Every device has a QR code which you scan with the app. Click 'Bind' and you're done!  The automation programming is adequate for most but integrating with EISY or another compatible controller opens up unlimited options.  Being a former user of the ISY994i I can see an EISY in my future as I slowly migrate from X-10.

glacier991

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 02:24:09 PM »

Brian - I have a Jeff Volp XTB523 hooked to my 572 - it blasts the X-10 output everywhere without issue.

brobin - have you used any of their  (new?) push button remotes?

glacier991

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 02:30:54 PM »

Here is another of my favorites. I think this was a rare event where someone else (Leviton) built the product and X-10 branded it and sold it under the X-10 name - there are some things for this that X-10 never had but Leviton did. (see Pictures attached - I do not seem to be able to include them in my posts - user is an idiot.)

It was called a wall mounted controller. There was the typical switch type of unit that was box mounted like any other switch, except, it there was no switch! Instead there was a plug in connector that would accept different switches, single or multiples. Mix or match.

There was a single switch with a dimmer, 4 button switches, one with 3 buttons and a dimmer button.

Leviton went a step further and offered faceplates with on/off LED's beside them. The only drawback using them in an X-10 setup was that the switches were sequentially numbered...A1, A2 etc.

In retrospect I suspect these were an answer to the Insteon keypad controllers.

With EISY that is no problem, I can make then anything I want in programming.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:50:43 PM by glacier991 »

glacier991

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 04:46:05 PM »

Ok, one more, for now....

It is one thing to control a 60W incandescent (or 8 watt LED) light. What about high load things, like a hot water heater?

It wasn't X-1o that came up with a solution, rather Insteon, back in the insteon/X-10 "Partnership". They came up with a high load 240 V controller. X-10 manageable.

I have used this for a Looong time (in fact on my 2nd controller as the first one died after nearly a decade of faithful service),I found a deal and bought 4, and they can still be found, often at a great price.

Perfect for electric hot water heater setback programming... s'what  I use mine for.

Attached pic is of my installed box...

I haven't found anything better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:59:21 PM by glacier991 »

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 05:52:29 PM »

My favorites are the Smarthome Switchlinc 2384 wall switches. These are pre-Insteon products. I have lots of them in the house and they are simple and do the job, and have been for almost 25 years. I actually keep an eye on ads for any that might come up (hint hint) to have spares. The issue that has come up with them is the push buttons beneath the paddle getting intermittent. I have repaired several. Otherwise, they work great, even with dimmable LED bulbs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:54:02 PM by guyl »

brobin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 05:57:32 PM »

My favorites are the Smarthome Switchlinc 2384 wall switches. These are pre-Insteon products. I have lots of them in the house and they are simple and do the job, and have been for almost 25 years. I actually keep an eye on ads for any that might come up (hint hint) to have spares. The issue that has come up with them is the push buttons beneath the paddle getting intermittent. I have repaired several. Otherwise, they work great, even with dimmable LED bulbs.
I still have some as well as the keypads. I have no use for them so PM me if you're interested.

brobin

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 06:07:10 PM »

Brian - I have a Jeff Volp XTB523 hooked to my 572 - it blasts the X-10 output everywhere without issue.

brobin - have you used any of their  (new?) push button remotes?

1. I haven't used their keypads as I have Alexa devices (my favorite is the discontinued Flex) in every room.

2. To post pics upload them as jpg files instead of docx.

3. I used the now called XPS2 double pole 20A 240VC switch for my pool equipment 40 years ago and still have them in my X10 bin.  They used to have a Leviton part number.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 06:29:53 PM »

Happy to hear about good luck with YoLink.

I have multiple (11) customers in a condo association that need to have installed water sensors and automatic water shutoffs. Some are units and some freestanding homes. All of them have internet and wireless routers and I was looking at YoLink for the hub and sensors and also the add on ball valve shutoff kit. Each customer would be in for only about $300 in parts and all would be compliant with the new insurance regulations.

Really looks like a no-brainer...

brobin

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 08:23:46 PM »

That would work well and not be affected by internet outages as well.  Also take a look at their Raedius console designed for industrial and tenant applications.
https://shop.yosmart.com/pages/raedius-web-console

glacier991

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 09:25:04 PM »

Yo link also uses the bulldog turn off device. It is easy to install and has available battery backup all for $275. Highly recommended.

Bro in I have a number of the 240 volt dpst switches as well, still new in box.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:21:32 PM by glacier991 »

glacier991

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 10:01:52 PM »

Skip.. That system can be controlled in multiple ways. Search the web for bulldog controller or econet (one seller) who I bought mine from.

With what brobin has suggest about the console, mix and match might work too..mine has multiple sensors some hardwired, and battery back up pretty bullet proof.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:44:52 PM by glacier991 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 06:01:37 AM »

ELK still makes their ELK9200 220VAC 30 Amp interface.
Is in a enclosure and you turn it on and off with an appliance module.

Long time a go. Simple Home Net now called Smartenit.
Made a EZSwitch 30. That was a 220VAC 30 amp relay assembly.
NO and NC relay contacts and could be programmed with an optional X10 address.

glacier991

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 01:11:40 PM »

I guess what I like about the Insteon is that is essentially plug (wire in) and play. Pigtails ready to wire into the water heater connection box. Looks good and easy to just wall mount. Nothing extra needed.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.