Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there any interest in problems and solutions by members?  (Read 919 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Is there any interest in problems and solutions by members?
« on: February 20, 2024, 05:56:29 PM »

I think that X10 still has a place in HA, though personally not as a purely (100%) X10 system.

Along the way as we encounter HA issues, many of the HA geeks on this board have devised solutions, many of them quite clever and ingenious. For me, I think the geeky problem solutions are what sets this board (and the old timers here) apart.

I have one or two ideas/solutions that I would like to post (like  $100 +/-) auto leak water shutoff system. But, there is no X10 in it.

Do the geeks here welcome that kind of post, or is it beyond what this forum is all about?

Chris

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Is there any interest in problems and solutions by members?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 06:07:34 PM »

I, for one, welcome it as I use a combination of X-10 and other things not all of which involve X10.  I use my Stargate controller for several non-X10 purposes.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 08:28:20 PM »

It depends on what you mean by "purely X10".  If you mean that the system can only have components that operate via X10 PLC/RF, then I would agree because that would be pretty much timers and very basic things triggered by motion sensors.  I personally don't have a need for things like Alexa, but there are a lot of options in-between that may or not meet what you mean.  Like, I use a RPi connected to my CM15A to run the events/timers/triggers/etc because I find Active Home lacking.  I do have a couple non-X10 devices (primarily a hardwired motion sensor) but the core of my system is X10.

To be fair though, many of the things I used to use X10 for have been replaced by lights with motion sensors.  If X10 had updated the PR511 to be compatible with LED (and not look so ugly) I might not have switched.  I'm don't have the biggest system so I'm not the right person to define the rules.   8)

glacier991

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 09:15:07 PM »

Thanks bkenobi... Your response is exactly why I am asking. Posting a HA project that does not have, and never considered having an X10 component on an X10 website is a little presumptious, and perhaps a "bridge too far".

I appreciate your input, will ponder my earlier idea.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 12:10:30 AM »

I'd say that everybody here has X10 components in their system but I don't know if they have primarily X10 anymore.  There's nothing wrong with the protocol but there are a lot of obstacles created by modern electronics.  For those willing to work through those issues, the system is very stable.  I have tinkered with other systems (mostly WiFi based) and it's not like those are perfect.  Alexa type devices are pretty popular but I've seen a lot of posts around talking about issues so I guess they aren't perfect either.

glacier991

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 12:13:33 AM »

Agree, though my system is x10, insteon, z wave and LoRa.

I think another forum may be better suited to this idea.

Thanks for your input.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 12:39:53 AM »

The "Other Automation Systems" topic is a good place for those discussions.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 06:29:19 AM »

I think the key here is X10 forum. It’s probably the last platform remaining where users of X10 can come together to discuss all aspects of X10 and how this technology can continue to thrive within the larger ecosystem that is known as home automation. If we drift too far away from the subject matter of X10 this forum just becomes another general home automation forum and the subject X10 will eventually fade away.

Personally I use both the CM11 and CM15 controllers and with the aid of something as discreet as a Raspberry Pi Zero W and the likes of HomeGenie have turned it into a dedicated X10 controller. When necessary this can be easily extended to incorporate other technologies but the key here is X10 stands at the heart of this setup. If I needed it Alexa can be easily integrated directly into the setup.

I reckon you decide what is important to you and you run with it but for the sake of this forum and it’s user base it’s important we continue to keep X10 at the heart of the discussion.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 06:54:09 AM »

Like many of the long time users here my system is mainly x10 both at my city and off grid place. However with a rasberrypi I've intergrated several other protocols into and meshed with my setup. X10 just doesn't have some modules that will work for some things. Like brobin I think  "Other Automation Systems" section would be the place for a thread like that. Although you never considered a x10 component in the solution it doesn't  mean that one couldn't be incorporated.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 09:13:10 PM »

Indeed but speaking personally I’m here for the expertise of the old guard X10 aficionados. Anything outside of that I’ll be discussing with the relevant experts in their field. I think we know by now that X10 sits comfortably in any home automation ecosystem. In fact I’m currently working on an Open AI project which amazingly can comfortably accommodate and integrate the concept of X10 after all these years. Quite scary because you no longer need any coding experience to create a home automation system. So it’s safe to say that X10 ain’t going away anytime soon. Not something you can say easily about some of the latter day technologies.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.