Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: JDS Time Commander Unable To Comunicate  (Read 4453 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 160
Re: JDS Time Commander Unable To Comunicate
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024, 12:18:39 PM »

Sometimes the USB to serial adapters can be tricky and need adjustment in Device Manager in WIN to work properly.  Might you have an old laptop or PC with a serial port?  Here's how I have my USB adapter configured:

For the TC change it 2400 baud.

RC1953

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2024, 01:33:39 AM »

Sorry Brobin, I missed this. I didn't notice there was a page 2.  My port settings are the same except my Data bits is set to 6. I am able to communicate with the Time Commander and Stargate (when was running).  Should I change the bits to 8?

Do you have a copy of the 2.40 firmware for the Time Commander? i have the 2.04 WinEVM but there are no hex files in that directory. I'm wondering if I can update the Time Commander using FWTool if I have the .hex file.

brobin

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024, 01:53:37 AM »

I would try changing the Data bits from 6 to 8 to see if it helps. 
As for the old TC files, I can't find any on my hard drive but that doesn't surprise me as I've had a number of new PC's over the last 22 years since I upgraded to the SG.  It's a long shot but you might try reaching out to Jeff Stein to see if he still has them.
Are you without a working Stargate now?

brobin

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2024, 05:25:46 PM »

I found the full setup file for 3.1!  You can d/l here:

https://fromsmash.com/bsBHK~C9a6-et

RC1953

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2024, 12:26:59 AM »

Thanks for the files Bruce. I'll give the 8 bits a try too.

The Time Commander is working for basic lighting. The biggest gripe I have is that the EVM & F/W version I'm using does not support "received only" commands. So if I use an X-10 sequence in the If Statement, it may get triggered by a transmitted command. I won't spend too much time on the TC, it just bugs me when I can't get the schedule working right. 

I finally found a replacement Stargate and will be transitioning back soon. I'm straightening up the wiring, installing a surge protector, and eliminating the CAT5 run to the XBT-IIR. That will give me some additional layers of protection. I will still unplug it during storms. 

I will continue to look for another board so I have a backup and I don't end up in this situation again.

I'm considering using a 12v battery backup to prevent unnecessary reboots. Do you use one in your system? If so do you have any best practices for setting it up?

brobin

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2024, 01:18:47 AM »

First, re: using a 12v battery backup, yes I have a 5ah one in the SG cabinet. If a reboot is required though, you have to disconnect the battery. What I did was install a DPST switch with one pole for the + battery lead and the other pole for one side of the 16VAC input so that both can be turned off together for a cold reboot.

2nd, as to getting around the limitation on the TC, instead of looking at signals received, you could look at status.  IOW, instead of looking at
'IF A-1, A-ON Received'
as a condition, use
'IF A-1 is ON'
as the trigger.  At the end of the event you can set A-1 to IDLE if you want to 'reset' the status without turning it off.  In fact, I do the 'IDLE' status at the end of each of my Alexa trigger events.

That does have some limitations but in basic applications it'll usually do the job.

RC1953

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 05:14:58 PM »

Re:12v battery. The switch is a good idea. I would never have thought of controlling 2 different circuits with a DPST switch. Smart! I only used them to break both legs when I wanted something to be totally disconnected. Kind of silly I guess, unless there are 2 hots.

I'll give the device ON/OFF status a shot, that will probably solve my issue. I wasn't thinking that TC was keeping track. I'm

I tried the 8 Bit setting last night but still couldn't establish communication with the "never used" but broken Stargate. I keep thinking that if I could just wake it up and download the F/W that it would come to life. One time Jeff gave me some ASII codes to send to force a F/W download, but that only works if you can communicate with it.   

brobin

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2024, 12:45:46 AM »

Are you using the same cable that you use with the SG1 serial port?

RC1953

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2024, 12:10:31 AM »

Yes, I was using the same cable. And I also used that cable to download my schedule to my replacement Stargate and it did worked for that.

brobin

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2024, 12:22:34 AM »

IIRC, you mentioned that you replaced the MAX 232 chip(s).  Check that the pins are all seated correctly and that one didn't get folded over on insertion. I know for a fact that this can happen!  :'

RC1953

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2024, 12:53:01 AM »

I just checked. Pins are all seated correctly.

brobin

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2024, 01:32:03 AM »

To make sure we're not missing anything, this is my understanding:

1. Known good cable is plugged into COM1 (3d one down) on the SG board and into a Serial-to-USB adapter (preferably with the Prolific
    chipset) and your 32 bit version of WIN is running WinEVM.
2. MAX232 chips are seated correctly and installed with the notch at the top.
3. As configured, the port in your PC works/worked with other SG/TC boards.
4. In WinEVM under UTILITIES|OPTIONS, you've tried all four COM port settings after a cold boot of the SG1.

If all of the above is true it should be working. Do you have another MAX232 chip you can try? (Power off for replacement!)

RC1953

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2024, 11:15:12 PM »

Thank you for your continued help.

1. Cable plugged into com1 on Stargate board. Prolific chipset. 32bit XP WinEVM. Tried both 2.40d & 3.10. (The disks that came with this Stargate were 2.04d)
2. Max 232 chips installed and fully seated. Also tried a new pair of 232 chips.
3. Same setup is communicating with working replacement Stargate and Time Commander.
4. Tried all com ports in WinEVM with cold boot.

When first powered up all 4 LEDs come on, then bottom 3 sequentially go out leaving top red LED on steady.

Another question: Is 18AWG stranded wire large enough for Stargate backup battery? Seems a bit small.

brobin

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2024, 12:36:12 AM »

18AWG is fine for the battery, that's what I use too.

Is this the new board that Jeff sent you or the old one that sustained lightning damage or another one?  From the sound of it, I'm thinking it maybe a corrupted memory chip.  If that's the case, keep searching for another spare and let this one RIP.  I have one in the same condition sitting on a shelf.

RC1953

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2024, 01:14:24 AM »

This is a board from a complete Stargate SG1 that I picked up on eBay in 2016. The owner said he bought it new and never got around to installing it. The box had some original packing in it. The disks, cables, and manual were in plastic and had never been open. I never tested it since it was new. Big mistake as I may have been able to have it repaired back then.

I have 3 boards that are RIP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.