Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: JDS Time Commander Unable To Comunicate  (Read 4454 times)

RC1953

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
JDS Time Commander Unable To Comunicate
« on: July 05, 2024, 12:55:01 AM »

I have a JDS Time Commander that I took out of service in the late 90s when I upgraded to a Stargate. I was very dependable and was in working order at the time. I want to put to back in service but when connected it won't communicate with WinEVM. I get a check serial connection error message. It lights up and both LEDs are on solid when connected to the PLI, and the receive LED responds to X-10 traffic. I've tried it with both a new and old version of WinEVM (2.40 & 3.10) running on XP. The serial connection is working with my Stargate. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong. Thanks

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 160
Re: JDS Time Commander Unable To Comunicate
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 01:09:52 AM »

Sounds like you might need to change the COM port in WinEVM (you'll have to change it back for the Stargate). 
1. Open WinEVM
2. Click 'Utilities'
3. Click 'Options'
4. Select a different COM port and try to connect. One of the 4 should work.

RC1953

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 04:30:40 PM »

Thank You Brobin!  You pointed me in the right direction. Actually none of the com ports would communicate with the Time Commander.  But while playing around with them I noticed on the older version of WinEVM (2.40D) there was a setting for Baud Rate. So I tried changing it from 9600 to 2400 and low and behold it worked. I guess my Time Commander is so old it won't support 9600. On the newer 3.10 version of WinEVM that I use for Stargate I don't see an Option to change the baud rate.

brobin

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 04:42:58 PM »

Glad you figured that out. I forgot about the baud rate being limited to 2400 on the TC since, like you, I retired mine over 20 years ago.  At least it's now posted here for posterity!  What are you going to use it for?

brobin

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2024, 09:41:56 PM »

BTW, keep in mind that the old version of WinEVM has the old DST dates hardcoded so you'll have to work around that.

RC1953

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 12:48:05 AM »

I'm having some Stargate issues so I'm using the Time Commander to control lighting in my house until I get the Stargate back up and running. After I figured out the baud rate I thought I was home fee but that was short lived. The Time Commander would lock up whenever I started the schedule. I was running software version 2.40 and the firmware is 2.29. Then I found in the README file that firmware 2.40 was required for the 2.40 software. I scrounged around and finally found the original floppy disc with software version 1.12 and that solved the problem. The Time Commander is now running great. I do need to replace the coin cell because if the power gets interrupted I have to reset the date and time.

It doesn't appear that the firmware can be updated with FWTool like Stargate. I guess you had to get a new chip from JDS to update the firmware. Too bad because the 2.40 software is much nicer.   

brobin

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 01:48:15 PM »

I don't know if these will help but they're old versions that may be useful. Download them here (link expires 7/15/24):
https://www.filemail.com/t/ZqcoXyaL

Let me know if you need help troubleshooting the SG-1.

RC1953

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 12:13:09 AM »

Thank you Bruce. Are these Time Commander files? Do you know what version? Years ago I downloaded all the files from the JDS site. At the time I had moved on to the Stargate but I downloaded Time Commander files too. I'm glad I did because they are gone now. The TC versions I have are 1.12, 2.40d and 2.43d. The firmware in the TC is 2.29, it seems like there would be a WinEVM to match. I'm not spending a ton of time on the TC but I've written a schedule that closely matches my Stargate schedule. Then it will be ready as a back-up, and I'm also thinking of using it when I'm on vacation so I don't have to leave the Stargate plugged in. Too many lightning issues in Florida (I've lost two mother boards). When I hear thunder I unplug the Stargate, the XTB-RII, and my audio equipment. Sorry to ramble, thanks again for your help.

brobin

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 12:54:37 AM »

I've had those files for a long time and don't know remember much about them.
Where are you in FL? I'm in Naples.
Even with a direct hit to the street transformer I've never had a problem. The only things I've ever had to replace are the serial port chips and the optoisolator on the phone board which I've since removed.
I do have whole house protectors in each electrical panel and another on the main feed to the house. I have an inventory of several SG1 boards and some other JDS hardware in my bins as well. Our house has a Lutron QS lighting system so X10 is only used for some plug-in modules, security system interface and some digital inputs and relays. I use Alexa to tie everything together including my Yolink stuff.

RC1953

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 03:47:57 PM »

I live in Tampa, we're practically neighbors.

I lost the first Stargate board in 2018 from a nearby lightning strike, it had been running since 1998  I had it unplugged from power but the surge came in through my XTB-RII and then up the Cat2 to the Stargate. Jeff fixed the XTB and said he had never seen it get past the opto isolation. Lesson learned - unplug the power and the XTB-RII.  Fortunately I had a back-up board I'd picked up from JDS in 2008.

I lost the second Stargate board just a few weeks ago from a lightning surge. This time I had the XTB unplugged but did not get to the Stargate power in time. I'm sick about that.

I have another back-up Stargate that I picked up in 2016 from a guy that had never used it. It still had the cables and floppy discs (labeled Win95) sealed in plastic. But I can get it to communicate with WinEVM, it just tells me to check serial ports and connections. I replaced the serial port chips, as I saw in one of your posts, but that didn't fix it. Now I'm thinking it may be a firmware issue similar to my Time Commander experience. So I'm thinking of loading the floppy program and seeing if that works. Do You have any other suggestions?

In the meantime I'm looking for another mother board. I also purchased a beefy surge protector from ZeroSurge. And I thinking of going back to one of Jeff's XTB TW523 interfaces and eliminating the Cat5 connection to the XTB-RII.

I use the Stargate mainly for lighting, IR to my audio equipment, and a few digital inputs.

brobin

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 04:13:27 PM »

If you can use the floppy and run WinSetup you should be able to get it working. Then use FWTool to update the F/W.

I found that I got better performance using a TW523 plugged into the XTB-IIR than the direct cable connection. Maybe that's saved me some lightning damage! 
Both my WebX boards are wonky now even after being repaired. They will only send emails for a couple of hours after a reboot so I have them rebooting throughout the day. 

RC1953

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2024, 02:16:51 AM »

I'm going to try loading the floppy disk program and see if I get lucky. They don't have a version on them but it must be an early one as it says Win95 on the disk. I am running version 3.10 WinEVM   and the readme file states that you must also be running the 3.10 F/W. So it does make sense that it won't work with earlier F/W.

I think using the TW523 is safer as it adds more distance between Stargate and the electrical panel (my XTB is at the main panel).

I have a WebX board but don't use it. I never could get it to work

RC1953

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 12:52:37 AM »

Brobin, I had high hopes that loading an earlier version of WinEVN would revive the Stargate but unfortunately it did not work. I still get a check connection/serial port error. I also tried using FWTool to update the firmware, which failed as well. When I connect it and power it up all 4 LEDs light up solid and then the bottom 3 go off one at a time and the top Red one stays on solid. Do you have any suggestions on what else I might try? I did try replacing the two serial chips.   

brobin

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 12:45:27 PM »

Have you tried running WSETUP?  Are you connecting to the PC with a serial cable or USB adapter?

RC1953

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 01:13:51 AM »

I have run WSETUP and all of the parameters are correct. I am using a USB to serial adapter from the PC.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.