Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switches changing randomily...  (Read 26466 times)

Soul Bandit

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Switches changing randomily...
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:51 AM »

I have had one of my X10 switches switch on and stay on at night and waste electricity several times and was starting me to think that using X10 wasn't a cost effective as I origionally thought and now I want to see what others think might me causine the silly thing to turn it's self on.  I use the FireCracker on one of my computers to control the devices arrounf the home. It uses the "Visual Home Commander" to operate the programmable control module.  Could line noise be causing random signals to cause the commander to turn the light on during the night?

Marksrobotics

Re: Switches changing randomily...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

The WS467 wall switch (and I suspect it's variations, as well) does indeed "randomly" turn on.
This info will void the x10 warranty, however this fix works.
Specifically, under the correct conditions, a WS467 can "glitch" on due to a power spike from a large bank of magnetic ballast fluorescents on the same circuit, large motor, etc. And filter caps across the 78566 chip, resistor change in the "button" line nor MOVs do not help.

The solution is actually quite simple, once it is figured out. The 78566 chip in the WS467 contains 2 unused pins (pin #8 and pin #9) who's function is unknown to me. However, manipulation of pin #9 can cause the WS467 to turn on the light.

After discovering this, I have since tied pin #9 to -v and the "random" light turnons have stopped. My personal preference is to install a 10K 1/8-1/4w resistor across the top of the ic between pin #9 and pin #18. A hard wire will probably be ok, but not acceptable standard practice when dealing with bidirectional I/O pins.

Hope this helps, Marksrobotics

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »

Which version of firecracker are you using? Could be line noise or RF interference
try moving your transciever (tm751  ???) to different locations to see if that helps.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

AutomatedOutlet

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Autiomated Outlet
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »

Do you have anything in your log files to show x10 signals being transmitted?
Martin Custer
Automated Outlet
www.AutomatedOutlet.com

davedirect7

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 09:19:10 PM »

If anybody has installed the popular new screw in fluorescent replacement light bulbs, beware.  They absolutely stopped the signals from getting through to my WS467s and I believe caused them to come on randomly.  I could turn the switches on manually only, but was able to turn them off remotely or through PLC while the fluorescent bulbs on.  After I removed the fluorescent bulbs from the system the entire system reliability significantly improved.  I still have dual 4 ft. fluorescent in the garage and other rooms, but they don't seem to have any noticeable impact.  Check it out! If you've got these lights in you house, they could be the culprit.

Dave A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 07:14:58 AM »

davedirect7;
CFL; fluorescent tube types and Low Voltage Lights [to name a few] are not to be used on ANY dimming type module. Both the lamp itself and the triac [electronic device in the module] can be damaged in such a combination. That said some here may dispute this ans yes sometime you can get away with it. I have a CFL in a LM15a Socket Rocket and it works fine with one brand bulb. While another brand makes so much noise it kills my X10 signals in many parts of the home.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »

One other thing is that since standard X10 brand wall switches don't use a neutral wire, the signal needs to travel through the load.  As a result the switch needs the load resistance to be low.  For more information, check out Fluorescent Lights in the X10 Wiki.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.