Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the yellow wire?  (Read 3989 times)

drew65

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What's the yellow wire?
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:32:06 AM »

Hi all,

I've never used X10, but I'm looking into it as a possible solution so I don't have to run new wires to install a 3-way switch.  I found the concept of power-line communications very interesting, but when I looked at the wiring diagrams posted for a 'switchlinc' relay switch, it appears to use a yellow wire to receive signals from the companion devices.

This doesn't appear to use the power line for communication at all, and would seem to prohibit the use of such switches using standard home wiring unless a third wire is available.  Am I misunderstanding something?  I was under the impression that either the hot or neutral wire was used for such communication.

Also, with regard to installing a standard, run-of-the-mill wall switch that uses X10 technology, would you recommend any particular manufacturer?  Is Switchlinc a good one to go with?

Thanks,
Drew

AutomatedOutlet

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Autiomated Outlet
Re: What's the yellow wire?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »

There are a lot of brands that are compatible but since this is an X10 forum, we probably shouldn't get into that here.

The yellow wire is a traveler wire used to communicate between a master and a slave switch.

The X10 commands are received by the master switch.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 03:55:35 PM by AutomatedOutlet »
Martin Custer
Automated Outlet
www.AutomatedOutlet.com

drew65

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »

There are a lot of brands that are compatible but since this is an X10 forum, we probably shouldn't get into that here.

The yellow wire is a traveler wire used to communicate between a master and a slave switch.

The X10 commands are received by the master switch.
I'm confused.  I thought X10 was a communication protocol, not a brand.

Anyway, is there a forum for X10 compatible devices I can ask my question?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 12:50:19 AM »

X10 represents both products of the company which developed the powerline protocol and the name given to that protocol.  However products compatible with the protocol are also manufactured by other companies, e.g., Smarthome.

The X10 3-way module and its companion switch replace a pair of existing 3-way mechanical switches and require the same hot and traveller wires (although used differently).  The advantage is that they can also be controlled remotely.

If your switch boxes contain a neutral wire, you can emulate 3-way switching with a pair of "two-way", i.e., receive and transmit, wall switches and not require the traveller wire.  (The switches must transmit an X10 On/Off when they are manually operated - not all do this.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

drew65

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:08:51 AM »

X10 represents both products of the company which developed the powerline protocol and the name given to that protocol.  However products compatible with the protocol are also manufactured by other companies, e.g., Smarthome.

The X10 3-way module and its companion switch replace a pair of existing 3-way mechanical switches and require the same hot and traveller wires (although used differently).  The advantage is that they can also be controlled remotely.

If your switch boxes contain a neutral wire, you can emulate 3-way switching with a pair of "two-way", i.e., receive and transmit, wall switches and not require the traveller wire.  (The switches must transmit an X10 On/Off when they are manually operated - not all do this.)
Thank you.  That makes more sense.

Drew

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.