Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lights dim then pulsate back and forth  (Read 4310 times)

just4fn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lights dim then pulsate back and forth
« on: April 20, 2006, 02:46:45 AM »

This x10 stuff is frustrating.  I have macros set to when motion is detected after 11:00 pm to dim to 40%. The macro works fine except when walking around the room , the lights will go to 100% then back down to 40%. It does this constantly. This doesn't sound normal. Why would I want the lights to go up and down when I am trying to sleep with my wife walking around the room?  Thanks for any advice, Doug

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: Lights dim then pulsate back and forth
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 11:04:18 AM »

This x10 stuff is frustrating.  I have macros set to when motion is detected after 11:00 pm to dim to 40%. The macro works fine except when walking around the room , the lights will go to 100% then back down to 40%. It does this constantly.

This is because each time the motion sensor detects motion it sends the ON command and the macro run.  The problem is the old (cheap) modules don't accept the PresetDim command so the only way to set them to 40% is to brighten them to a known state (100%) and then dim them by 60%.  The easiest option is to make the macro also conditional on a flag being cleared and then have the macro set the flag.  You will then have to create another macro triggered by the motion sensor turning off which clears the flag.  That way the macro will only run once.

Alternately you can use the newer 2-Way Lamp Module (not to be confused with the 3-way wall switch which doesn't support the PresetDim command) which will accept the PresetDim command (note: SmartHome modules use a different type of PresetDim command which is not supported by AHP).

just4fn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »

I am using a wall switch not a module for the lights. If a flag will work I will need to learn how to put them in the macros. i am a lot confused about how to use flags. I think the module you suggested is for a stand alone light?  thanks for the help, Doug

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »

See my response to your other post for a description of how to use flags to control this:

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=8505.0

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »

I just checked my bedroom, which has a WS477 wall switch controlling an outlet with two table lamps on a dresser. I used AHP to turn it on to 50% and wallked into the room, to see the two lanps lit at 50% brightness.

The answer seems to be yes, a wall switch, either WS477 or WS4777 will dim.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.