Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens when a timer spans midnight?  (Read 15294 times)

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
What happens when a timer spans midnight?
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »

If I create a timer to turn on a light on Tuesday at 8:00 pm and off at 1:00 am, will it do the right thing, namely turn off the light on Wednesday morning? Or will the 1:00 am Off command be sent on Tuesday, prior to the On command?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: What happens when a timer spans midnight?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 02:10:05 PM »

You betcha!!  I have timers on 11 modules that span midnight. They all turn on at dusk and turn off between Midnight and 1:00AM.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »

Dan, do your timers run the same every day? If so, you wouldn't notice an issue. (Because, e.g., Wednesday's 1:00 am OFF would handle turning off Tuesday's 8:00 pm ON.)

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »

Yes, they are 7 day a week timers.

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »

So I'm guessing that if I need to turn on at 8pm Tuesday evening and off at 1am Wednesday morning, I need two separate timers.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:32:39 AM »

No, one timer (on at 8:00 PM and off at 1:00AM seven days a week) will suffice.

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:15:07 AM »

Sorry, I was unclear. My intention is a timer which happens one or two days a week, not every day.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:16:41 AM »

So I'm guessing that if I need to turn on at 8pm Tuesday evening and off at 1am Wednesday morning, I need two separate timers.

If you want this to happen every day as in Dan's case, no.
If this is a one time event, as I think you're saying, yes.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:25:36 AM »

Sorry, I was unclear. My intention is a timer which happens one or two days a week, not every day.

In that case you will need to create two timers, one to turn the light on and another to turn the timer off a day later.  I have a similar situation where I have one timer to turn the lights on at dusk 7 days a week, a second timer to turn the the lights off at 11:00pm Sunday-Thursday and third timer to turn them off at midnight on Weekends (Saturday and Sunday).

arf1410

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »

This issue was reported many months ago.  I assumed (I guess incorrectly) that X10 had fixed it with a more recent AHP release.  X10 Pro - when will this issue be fixed?

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I understand why timers behave this way, so I can't really consider this to be a "bug".

But the behavior is counter-intuitive. AHP ought to at least display a warning when the user tries to create a timer which spans midnight because it's probably not going to do what he wants unless it's 7 days a week.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 12:21:38 PM »

This issue was reported many months ago.  I assumed (I guess incorrectly) that X10 had fixed it with a more recent AHP release.  X10 Pro - when will this issue be fixed?

This isn't a bug, you just have to know what day you want the lights to turn on or off.  Just like when you program your VCR, if you want to record after midnight, you have to set the date to the next day.

arf1410

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »

Software developers ought to be smart enough to make timers work as intended.  And bad analogy with the VCR...If I tell mine to start recording at 11:00 pm, and stop at 1:00 am, it will record for 2 hours, then stop ...

PS  - this post I've linked to  is another of numerous examples that we're are still dealing with sloppy programing 18+ months after rollout! -  http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=8552.msg51785#msg51785
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 04:33:10 PM by arf1410 »

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »

Software developers ought to be smart enough to make timers work as intended.  And bad analogy with the VCR...If I tell mine to start recording at 11:00 pm, and stop at 1:00 am, it will record for 2 hours, then stop ...

I thought you might say that.  With a VCR timer you are always wanting to first start recording and then stop it a short time later (the normal state is to not record).

With home automation you might want to first turn something off for a short while and then turn it on again later.   For example, lets say I want to make it so that the kids can't watch TV between midnight and 7:00am on weeknights, I would set up a timer to turn the module on at 7:00am and off at 12:00am Monday through Friday.  With your "smart timers" the TV would turn off in the middle of their Friday night movie and let them watch TV into the wee hours Monday morning.

If you try to correct for a user's mistakes in software, other users will complain that the software isn't doing what you are telling it to do.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »

No.

AHP will allow you to creat a timer for specific days.  When you creat a timer for a module (or modules), when the timer disigner opens, click on the View Adavanced Layout (which is underlined). When the Advanced Layout opens, you will see you can create timers for a single day, weekdays, weekends or any combination. You can select certain days, Sunday to Saturday of each week.  Try it, you will see how easy and flexible timers can be, from every day to once a week on Tuesdays, creating is a breeze.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.