Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Door Bell Buton  (Read 57082 times)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Door Bell Buton
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »

I would like it if X10 made a wireless door bell button that I could mount at my front door. This could be interfaced to AHP and not only sound a sounder but it could also start macros for video recording and turn lights on.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: Door Bell Buton
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »

They don't sell a "doorbell" button, but they do sell the BIG RED Emergency Button which will send an on signal when you press it.  That could be used to trigger a macro or ring a doorbell.  I don't think it is weather proof though, so you would have to make sure it is in a sheltered location.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »

Only problem with the BIG RED Emergency Button is that requires an additional piece of equipment, either a Security Console or an IR543 to use it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »

You could wire a Powerflash module into an existing doorbell and use that to send a powerline command, either to trigger a macro or control a module directly.

JimC

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »

I currently don't have any doorbell and was looking for a way to add one without running wires that could interface with AHP. This might be something that X10 might concider for a new product. I know I have seen other requests for this posted a year ago by someone who was hearing impaired.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »

Only problem with the BIG RED Emergency Button is that requires an additional piece of equipment, either a Security Console or an IR543 to use it.

According to the KR15A Installation and Operating Instructions, it "sends wireless Radio Frequency (RF) signals to an X10 Transceiver (RR501 or TM751) or any X10 security system base console" so I would guess that it should also work with the CM15A.

I didn't see any reference to needing (or even being able to use) an IR543 however.  I am not sure why you would need one since it doesn't seem to transmit an Infrared (IR) signal.

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 09:46:47 AM »

I currently don't have any doorbell and was looking for a way to add one without running wires that could interface with AHP. This might be something that X10 might concider for a new product. I know I have seen other requests for this posted a year ago by someone who was hearing impaired.

I totally agree!  It shouldn't be too difficult for X10 to make a weatherproof version of the KR15A and remove the panic button features (such as turning on a SH10A siren set to the same address when you push and hold the button).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »

What I think would be at least as nice an item would be a position switch! (Of course I already have a door bell.  :))
ie. A mercury tilt switch configured to send a signal when tilted. Image the ease of being able to just stick one the garage door and have it signal it's status.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »

I would use a motion sensor to announce the presence of some one at the door but I have found them to be too sensitive. I really don't need to know every time a bird flies past the house.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

sebastian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »

I would use a motion sensor to announce the presence of some one at the door but I have found them to be too sensitive. I really don't need to know every time a bird flies past the house.
if you have a deep porch then mount the motion sensor on the outward edge, pointing to the front door, say 4foot away. that way only when soneone is between it and the door would it sound the bell

DragonDave

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »

That is the first thing I did with X-10, mount a motion sensor connected to my chime inside.  It is in an area, where only someone headed to the door would trip it.  Works better than a doorbell (for me, anyway).  DD

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »

JimC

You can also use a regular wireless doorbell and tie the audio output of the doorbell (or the low voltage fed to the solenoid "hammer" if you get a wireless mechanical chime doorbell)  to a Powerflash. The Powerflash will output a X10 code "ON" when the doorbell rings.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 12:45:24 PM »

...You can also use a regular wireless doorbell...

While searching my newest favorite supply site for filters (thanks again, dave w), I saw a wireless doorbell for only $7.95!

Since their minmum order is $20 you might want to see what else they have and perhaps pickup some of the filters.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

seedyburner

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

I bought the doorbell kit from x10 and I'm having trouble getting the big red button to work. The kit came with the TM751, KR15A, and the SC546A. I have connected all of these but cannot get it to work. When I use the KR22A that I bought as well to signal the chime it works fine. For some reason, the big red bell set to the same house and unit code will not work. Any ideas?

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »

I don't have first hand experience with the KR15A, but my thoughts are:

• RF Range.  Did you try moving it closer to the TM751?
  • Batteries.  Are you sure the batteries you are using are good?  Are they alkaline or lithium batteries (heavy duty are not adequate)?
  • User Error. Are you sure the KR15A is set to the correct unit and house code?
  • Otherwise I suspect the KR15A is defective.  Try and see if you can get it replaced.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.