Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 4306 times)

sebastian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help Needed
« on: May 03, 2006, 03:47:52 PM »

I am new to X10 and I would like some info on what I need to get things started. I have a 64bit Duelcore 3500 PC running win xp/media centre. A One for All mosaic remote that is compatable. and I have installed the cat5 LAN network to the various rooms. i would like to be able to use speech to controle lights and later on the cooker and immersion heater. so will need info on mikes and how many can i have as i wish to be able to do this from different rooms than PC.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »

Well these forums are the best place to be for advice.
As others have said it's best to take things one step at a time. ie. Do you have AHP yet?
Before you take on speech recognition, I'd suggest you set up a few macros and get a feel for things.
Do a search also as there is an ongoing discussion about ways to automate with speech input.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »

I agree with Steven R.  Take things one step at a time.  First try getting a few lamp/appliance and wallswitch modules (the RCA giftpack is a good deal).  To use your OFA remote, you will also need an IR543.  Once you get it so that you can control the lights with the remote, then get ActiveHome Pro and set up some timers.  Once you are comfortable with timers, try out some simple macros and gradually get more complex.  At this point you can also try out X10 dispatch, which you will eventually use to get voice control.

As you have problems (as I am sure you will), search this forum to see if anyone has had the problem before.  Bitting off more than you can chew at once will only result in frustration.

sebastian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »

I would like to thank Rodger & Steven r for there advice, it is the way i intend to go. one step at a time. The first two products mentioned, the "RGA Gift Pack." & the "IR543" are they available in the UK, and is there a web address.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »

Would you post the address here. We're hearing rumors that X10 is withdrawing from the UK/Europe market.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »

The first two products mentioned, the "RCA Gift Pack." & the "IR543" are they available in the UK, and is there a web address.

I am pretty sure there is a UK version of the IR543, but the RCA Gift Pack is probably only available for 110V/60Hz.  You will have to check out X10's UK website (http://www.x10.co.uk/), but as Dan implied, it has apparently been down for a while.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:37:03 PM by roger1818 »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:14 PM »

As of two minuites ago, it still is. It "pings' the IP Address back promptly, but the site won't load.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.