Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using x10 appliance module with Audio system.  (Read 16129 times)

pmpddytim

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Using x10 appliance module with Audio system.
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »

I am new the X10 community and was wondering if it is safe to use an x10 appliance module for my Audio system (Reciever, CD, Turtable etc..)

Right now I hate that my equipment is always using power (in standby) and want to be able to completely shut it down. I found the Appliance module and thought maybe I could plug my surge protector into that so that I could shut off the entire system remotly. But I was unsure if the module could handle that so I thought I would ask!

-Tim

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Using x10 appliance module with Audio system.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »

The appliance module Model no. AM486 states :
120volts ac 60 hz.
Resistive Load 15A.
Motor Load 1/3 HP.
Incandescent lamp 500w.
Tv 400w.
As long as your equipment doesn't exceed this you should have no problems If it does use a applance module for each device and set them to the same code that way one press controls them all. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:13:01 PM »

The FWIW "buttinski" answer.

Having gone down this road with my "non audiophile" equipment (Pioneer, Techniques, etc), after monitoring my setup with a cumlulative wattmeter, I came to the conclusion leaving everything in standby added only about $0.50 per month to my electric bill. When living in south Florida I DID disconnect the setup from power to decrease possibility of lightning surge damage from the daily tropical storms. But there was no economic reason nor equipment life expectancy reason to disconnect from power.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:59:13 PM »

...and it's a real pain in the butt to reset up some components after unplugging them. Maybe if I lived in a major storm area I might reconsider. I lease a whole house surge protector from my power company that includes equipment insurance. I also have UPS units for each entertainment area. I figure I'll take my chances during our occasional storms.

Many years ago I worked tech support for a computer company. I remember giving one guy an RMA for his equipment. He had unplugged "everything" including is his dial up modem. (This was before high speed connections were around.) Seems he had forgotten about the lamp that was sitting on the metal table. Lightning came through the lamp and fried everything.

I figure if lightning wants me that bad, I'll have the power company buy me new stuff.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:51:48 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14:23 AM »

I use an appliance module to turn off my computer monitors and most of the plug in power suplies for my computers and radio equipment. I do not use this for any of the devices that require power to maintain memory. I have been doing this for years and have not had a single problem. I would not depend on this for lightning protection as the appliance modules only open one side of the input power. The gap on the open side is not large enough to prevent lightning from arcing across anyway.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »

Correct, an appliance module will not protect against lightining. It was effective at protecting against the power "surges" when "Florida Flicker and Flash" tried to restore power after a storm outage.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.