Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wall outlet module clicks but does not turn on  (Read 7091 times)

buster hyman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wall outlet module clicks but does not turn on
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:07:34 AM »

I have two X10 wall outlet modules (I believe they are both SR227s), each with one controlled receptable on the top.   Unlike my other wall outlet modules, these two are highly unreliable.   They often respond to a ON signal by clicking 3 times rapidly, but failing to turn on the lamps which are plugged in.   A 100 watt lamp is plugged into one outlet and a 3-amp Malibu light transformer is plugged into the other one.

What's odd is that I have a similar Malibu light transfer in another X10 outlet which works fine.   Both Malibus are on the same phase.   Could I just have bad outlet modules?   Do these modules have a reputation for getting stuck?   Should I replace the outlet modules with something more robust?   Or just stay clear of these single receptable controlled outlet modules altogther?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by me, and my wife who gets annoyed by the rapid clicking sounds.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wall outlet module clicks but does not turn on
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 06:58:09 AM »

The modules sometimes do stick as you thought. They do chatter trying to turn on or off. I had one break off the little actuator and fail. I don't have enough of them to say if they are reliableand if mine was just a quirk. Others may have more in service.

buster hyman

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 01:03:50 AM »

I just replaced one of the "triple clicking" wall outlet modules with a regular $2 walll outlet.   I moved the Malibu light transfer plug into a normal hardwired wall outlet (without X10) and used the Malubu light's built in mechanical timer.   There is something to be said about the reliability and instant peace of mind to be had by just removing troublesome X10 appliances, and replacing with normal mechanical on/off switches & times.  You know these won't act up again.   It's not always worth the cost and effort to get every last item in the house to respond to X10 signals.

I left all of the other previous X10 outlets and switches as X10 modules and they seems to be OK.  I aslo just recently through out my CM15A Computer Interface and replaced it with an old CM11A.    That was such a godsend.    Everything works on both phases every time with just one "on" or "off" signal.   Even my pool pump & cleaner which are over 150 feet away.

There's something to be said for keeping it simple.   For some switches, it may even be cheaper & more reliable to just pay someone to turn it on and off for you at the appointed times.   

Adam

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:21:21 AM »

Sounds like the best move; in that situation.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »

The modules sometimes do stick as you thought. They do chatter trying to turn on or off. I had one break off the little actuator and fail. I don't have enough of them to say if they are reliableand if mine was just a quirk. Others may have more in service.

I don't have any, but have read that they do tend to fail.  I don't know if the Leviton brand of sockets are more reliable or not.  For more information see Report on defective supersocket.

GregH

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:04:22 PM »

I have one that is doing the "triple click" when receiving the x10 "on" command.  I've had pretty spotty reliability with x10 branded devices.  I just lost an outdoor floodlight after 14 months.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »

I have one that is doing the "triple click" when receiving the x10 "on" command.  I've had pretty spotty reliability with x10 branded devices.  I just lost an outdoor floodlight after 14 months.

Yes, there are reliability problems with many of X10's cheap modules.  Common reliability issues include:

Lamp Module: Triac will sometimes blow when light bulb burns out.
Wall Switch:  Push button stops working (metal tab inside breaks)
Super Socket: Plastic piece (spring?) inside will break.
Floodlights: apparently seem to only last between 1 and 2 years

One module that seems to be very reliable however is the plug-in appliance module.  I don't think I have heard of any problems with it (though I did have one start to melt on me, but I think I may have been approaching its current limit.  It still works though).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »

FWIW (for what its worth)
"Clickity-clickity-click"...indicates the logic chip in the appliance module or receptacle module is not seeing the contacts of the relay close when it triggers the solenoid. So the logic "fires" the solenoid two more times in rapid succession. After three attempts, the logic chip stops triggering the solenoid until it receives the next ON command. This behavior is usually caused by
1. loss of feedback from switched side of relay back to the chip, or more commonly
2. Stuck contacts which do not change state when the solenoid is triggered. I have fixed several clickity-clickity-click appliance modules by taking apart and spraying silicone lube on the cam assembly. I have experienced most of my "clickity clicks" in modules used outdoors. The cold seems to harden the grease which  X10 uses to lubricate the cam, thus stopping it's rotation.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.