Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Software setup identification?  (Read 5090 times)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Software setup identification?
« on: June 09, 2006, 06:41:16 AM »

OK, so I placed an order that included several pieces of software. AHP, IWitness, SmartMacros, Lola software.

I created an "X10" folder under my downloads folder and used the links in my activation email to grab the setup files. I noticed the poor naming scheme but was in a hurry at the time.

I guess now I'll have to go download them again and create separate folders for each piece of software to keep them straight so I'm not blindly clicking on setup files to figure out which is which.

I have 5 files named as follows and no way to tell which is what:

setup0.468070602118136.exe
setup0.917786693041311.exe
setup0.847768375956552.exe
setup0.250380026483075.exe
setup0.976718087987141.exe

Why not use intelligent names? Include part of the software name? Even the software part number (SW31A, SW25A, etc.)?

I understand you are using a dynamic database to create the filenames based on the link used for download -- but the "setup0" part appears static for each file and it seems it could be changed for each software type to something like "setupSW31A".

ALSO!!

What if I want to install the software on a non-net connected machine? One which has no network card or modem or any ability to connect to the net? It seems that what I've downloaded are just online setup files that will go grab the full package when I start them up? (I haven't tried installing yet.) How can I get the full install package for each program so I can burn them to CD and install that way?

AND!!

Why don't you peole answer emails like you used to 3 years ago? I've sent 3 or 4 emails over the last week to sales@, tech@, and orders@ asking questions about my order. NO REPLIES!! I DO NOT have TIME to sit on the phone waiting for tech support. I use email, period.

Gerald
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:24:07 AM by phorce1 »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Software setup identification?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:46 PM »

^BUMP^  ;D

I would also like to hear an answer to phorce1's original questions.  :-\

i.e.

Is there a DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE of the BASE AHP software if one chooses *NOT* to register *UNTIL* the software PROVES ITSELF *FREE* of BUGS!?!?!  :o
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:24:58 PM »

If you go to "My Computer" and right click on the file, then click "Properties", you will see the description (Name)....................................I agree, the file itself should have a desciprtive name.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:38:44 PM »

Interestingly, Mr.phorce1 AKA Gerald apparently either got his problem fixed, or sent all the items back for a refund, since the original post was  June 09, 2006 with a revision on June 10. It's now Seotember 10, and not a peep.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »

Interestingly, Mr.phorce1 AKA Gerald apparently either got his problem fixed, or sent all the items back for a refund, since the original post was  June 09, 2006 with a revision on June 10. It's now September 10, and not a peep.

No, after reading the forums for a while I simply decided that I didn't want to be a beta tester for badly written software that insists on allowing a corporate author direct access to my home via the Internet with no oversight.

So, I'm messing around with the options available in Linux instead.

I "solved" the program install names for the future by re-downloading the install software and creating a separate, appropriately named, folder for each when I clicked the download link.  I may install a base copy of AHP so I can turn on the "transceive all house codes" feature of the CM15A for use a a transceiver for the CM19A I have working under Linux now (using an RR501 and single house code).

Gerald

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »

My AHP is what you would call a "base installation". No add-ons. Don't need them.  Don't need the security modules and equipement, and all my X10 modules do what I want them to do.

My PC is on broadband, but I will not allow "automatic" upgrades to AHP. Every upgrade since I got it has been from a link in an annoouncement posted about an upgrade  here.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.