Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rws17 light switches coming on by themselves!  (Read 5703 times)

jeff1595

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
rws17 light switches coming on by themselves!
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »

I installed a number of RWS17 light switches.  They work when operated (on/off/dim), but recently the lights have started coming on by themselves.  I haven't noticed them going off.  I purchased the Active Pro hardware/software, but haven't taken it out of the box to install it.  I've just been using the switches like regular light switches.  I think the most likely explanation for the lights coming on is some interference in the electrical system that sends a false signal to the switches.  Does this make sense?  Is it possible to find the source of the interference so that I can try to filter it, or might the problem be in the power itself that I'm receiving from the power company?  What do I do other than remove all the switches and dump the X10 system?  I asked X10 for help and they sent me a letter that says I might have interference, but doesnt't really help me find it, if it exists.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: rws17 light switches coming on by themselves!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »

Install AHP and the CM15A USB interface.  After installing, set up all your modules in AHP and see if they are all properly addressed. AHP shpports the RWS17 under Retail section under Modules (on the left hand side of the AHP screen).

Good Luck!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:52:17 PM »

I installed a number of RWS17 light switches.

What's a RWS17? I can't find the manual for it online.

...I purchased the Active Pro hardware/software, but haven't taken it out of the box to install it.  I've just been using the switches like regular light switches.

After (happily) running ActiveHome [Original - CM11A] for ~10-20 years (my memory is failing! :) ), I just (*FINALLY*) bought the CM15A a few weeks ago (when they included *ALL* the optional software for *FREE*) - haven't installed (opened) it yet. But, the Original AH software has a "Communications Log", which you should look for in the AH Pro. Enter your modules, without any programming, and then WATCH to see what happens.

...I think the most likely explanation for the lights coming on is some interference in the electrical system that sends a false signal to the switches.  Does this make sense?

Nope! The X-10 signal is *WAY* too complex for noise to emulate it.

...Is it possible to find the source of the interference so that I can try to filter it, or might the problem be in the power itself that I'm receiving from the power company?  What do I do other than remove all the switches and dump the X10 system?  I asked X10 for help and they sent me a letter that says I might have interference, but doesnt't really help me find it, if it exists.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

X-10's strength, IMO, is NEAT stuff at LOW prices (when you *WAIT* for the SALES!) - for Tech Support, you need to go to the various Newsgroups and (non-X-10 provided) Forums.

Start out here and be sure to read my Apr/17/2004 @ 6:57 PM FAQ LINK.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:24:49 AM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:15:16 AM »

TakeTheActive; The RW series is the blister packed retail versions of the stuff we normally see here. X10 frequently subs them on web orders. In the AHP program; I believe they are listed in the Retail Modules Tab. Also X10 doesn't seem to provide a cross reference to their numbers and no Retail Manuals on the web, even if they are just a WS467  or WS12A; if decorator type; in  disguise.

turkeytom32708

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »

i found out if you have any of the motion ms13A on the system if it turns one on you have to make sure you don't have another light or device number next in line or it will turn it on when the orig turns off. they run in pairs on this ms13A. i use camera's on mine.
if i don't won't it to effect on i will move my code to the next group like 1-4,5-8  i put one in each group.
maybe this will help

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »

Another thought... anyone near by where you live using x10 products? If so you may need to but a filter on your line coming into the house.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

djohnactor

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »

Change your HOUSE CODE. Your neighbor may have an X-10 system set to the same house code as your system. I remember a sit-com from the 60s (50s?) when TVs were first getting remote control. A guy was changing his neighbor's TV channel. Really confused and pissed off the neighbor.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.