Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boom and iTunes  (Read 34912 times)

kevinvinv

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Boom and iTunes
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »

Currently there is a special on what looks to be BOOM MP3 software and a PC remote/receiver.  The ad states that one can control iTunes with this thing but I am skeptical... does anyone know if this is accurate?

Thx.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Boom and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:12:10 PM »

I looked at the ad (http://www.x10.com/promotions/goldmine_vk59a.html), which I presume it what you are looking at.  It makes no mention of iTunes.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

kevinvinv

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:50:24 PM »

Take a look at this link:

http://www.x10.com/products/lola2_sp_itune_ps249.html

It says that LOLA controls iTunes...     

I have called X10 a number of times and still can't seem to get the straight dope from them.  It would be great if Lola indeed could run iTunes... but I haven't yet figured out how that could be done.

Comments?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:34:41 PM »

Take a look at this link:

http://www.x10.com/products/lola2_sp_itune_ps249.html

It says that LOLA controls iTunes...
The ad sure isn't clear to me. The only iPod they show the hardware attached to is the obsolete mini iPod.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

kevinvinv

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »

Serious??  I can't think of really a more clear statement... it says   "wireless music control system for iTunes"  -- the iPod doesn't matter b/c iTunes runs on a pC...   I think this is a case of blatent false advertising. ::)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »

...it says   "wireless music control system for iTunes"  -- the iPod doesn't matter b/c iTunes runs on a pC...
...and then it has pictures of a device connected to a mini iPod to further confuse the issue. Is the the product they're selling for iTunes, the mini iPod or both?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:58:32 PM »

Not quite false advertising -- they're very careful about that.

*BUT* -- **VERY DECEPTIVE** advertising.

Lola doesn't "control" iTunes. Lola can load all the songs that you have in your iTunes library into **ITS OWN** song database and play them.

Lola doesn't "control" ANY external apps.

And, the "Lola controller" that allows you to start Lola using the remote has a REALLY annoying "I'm alive" notification device. It flashes a LOLA graphic on the screen as an overlay that shows up on top of ANYTHING (even full screen video set to "always on top") every few minutes.

If you plan to use your computer for ANYTHING other than Lola you have to kill the "Lola controller" -- which means that when you want to actually USE Lola you have to walk over to the PC and start it back up.

I'm fiddling around trying to get BOOM2000 to work with my Lola remotes now. Looks like X10 was pretty careful to leave the commands out of the UR89A that would actually make that work though. That way you have to buy a complete MP3-Anywhere (or other) package -- INCLUDING another transceiver -- to get different functionality.

Gerald

kevinvinv

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »

I tool have tried to get my LOLA remote to work with BOOM...   I haven't managed to get it yet...  have you?

Seems like Boom could be configured to control iTunes... but I can't seem to get the Lola remote to map to proper key presses and run iTunes... or anything...

phorce1

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »

No luck yet. The Lola remote doesn't seem to send the commands that select the "players" from the Boom software. I can see the vol+, vol-, and MANY other commands working in the "test" box but not the ones that actually cause a "player" to start up.

Also, I can't get the Boom2000 software to "play nice". If I try to add a different player it crashes at the "select program" box every time.

Gerald

kevinvinv

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »

That's exactly what I see...  including the crash behavior.  I tried it on both Win2k and WinXp....   no luck.

phorce1

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:47:57 AM »

I'm thinking I'll just end up using my CM19A with one of the Linux control programs that are being written for it. Neil Cherry already appears to have the USB drivers working in kernel 2.6.15 so he'll probably have it working with MisterHouse before too long.

Should work with the CM15A as well (ActiveHome Pro computer interface module). If I can get control of X10 cameras in Linux then AHP will get packed away for sure. X10 doesn't know how to write software that works.

Gerald

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.