Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exsiting ADT Installation with X10  (Read 16720 times)

chinaboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Exsiting ADT Installation with X10
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:56:19 AM »

Hey guys,

I wanted to see if it was possible to use my existing wired ADT alarm system which I cancel a year ago with my X10 camera system. I simple just want the system to call my cell phone instead of the central ADT office that it use to call. Does anyone know how to change the dial out number for the system. I am aware that X10 has some kind of ADT system, but I was hoping to intergrate what I already have into my X10 system without having to spend to much more. Any suggestions welcomed.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Exsiting ADT Installation with X10
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:33:28 AM »

...Does anyone know how to change the dial out number for the system...
The "got you catch" to many of the commercial systems including ADT is that in exchange for their "low cost instal"l you pay through the nose for the monthly monitoring. In addition they often can't be reprogrammed for anyone else to monitor them. Often requires a new panel.

I hope your situation is better. If there is a way, someone here should be able to help.

As a side note, if anyone in the greater Atlanta, GA is interested in an honest company that will give you a fair price for an install with reasonable monitoring rates I can recommend a company.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

chinaboy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:44:05 AM »

I have been doing some research and it looks like some people have been successful in changing their ADT system to another company. Sounds like the issue is finding the installer code. Having found anything on monitoring ones own system thou.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:33:59 PM »

I have been doing some research and it looks like some people have been successful in changing their ADT system to another company. Sounds like the issue is finding the installer code. Having found anything on monitoring ones own system thou.
I work for an alarm company, and I can tell you that if you want to reprogram the dialout numbers in your system you will need the installer code and an installer's manual for the system.

Without the installer code, some systems can be reset to factory defaults, but this also requires information from the manufacturer of the system.  It also means that the system will have to be reprogrammed from scratch.  User codes, delays on zones, any special programming features, etc. will all be lost and need to be reprogrammed.

Probably the cheapest answer would be to buy some kind of auto-dialer that you can program to your pager number and connect it to the siren output of the alarm panel.  You may need a 12 volt relay between them depending on the auto-dialer.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

chinaboy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »

Thanks for that information. I guess I am out of luck since I don't have the installer code. And ADT either don't want to release that information because I no longer use their service or they don't want someone else using their equipment. I will have to look into the dialer option. If I use the auto-dialer, would I be able to tell which zone was trigger when the dialer pages me?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »

Generally speaking... NO.

The dialer would just be triggered by the alarm going off and sounding the siren.

If you have a digital camera and can email me some pictures of the system, mainly the outside and if you can open it the inside of the main control box (no, not the keypad) probably a metal box in a closet or the garage... I will see if I can dig up anything helpful.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

chinaboy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 08:40:55 AM »

I sent a few pictures of the alarm panel. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:59:32 PM »

Yep... got the pictures and sent you an email.

Anyone out there know the procedure for defaulting a Honeywell (Ademco) Vista 10-SE?

For obvious reasons, if you know the procedure, please email it, don't post it.

Meanwhile, I'll check at work.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.