Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Under Cabinet Lighting HELP!!  (Read 6333 times)

beckmana

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Under Cabinet Lighting HELP!!
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »

Under Cabinet Lighting HELP!!

I would like to install 4 florescent lights under the cabinets in my kitchen.  I would like to hard wire them directly into an electrical source (an outlet near the base of the cabinets).  I would like to hook them up to a switch, but I don’t want to rip up the drywall.  Is there a product that would work for this application? 

I was told that the WS467 would work, but it says nothing about using florescent applications. 

I guess I am really just completely confused.  HELP!   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Under Cabinet Lighting HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:25:11 PM »

No not with fluorescent type lights. If the wall box has a neutral wire along with the load and line wire. X10 makes a decorator type switch [no dimming a flourescent lamp]. X10 WS13A; X10Pro XPS3-IW. X10Pro also makes a module that goes inside the lights fixture or in the wall box with a blank cover [signal controlled only no local buttons] XPFM.
If interested the users manuals for the X10 items are in the support area in users manuals. X10Pro is www.x10pro.com. Manuals section.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:42:59 PM »

...I would like to hard wire them directly into an electrical source (an outlet near the base of the cabinets).  I would like to hook them up to a switch, but I don’t want to rip up the drywall.  Is there a product that would work for this application?...
Do you need to control them remotely? i.e. Use X10

If not (i.e. You just want a simple switched light), go to your local hardware store and buy a combination switch/outlet. It will have a single outlet with a switch that can be wired to control the outlet. Then replace an existing outlet with it. It's the same size. Plug in the lights and enjoy.

Always try to remember KISS.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:17:00 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »

steven r; Didn't say remote control did we? Good old KISS. Sometime I do forget that ::)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 07:29:21 PM »

steven r; Didn't say remote control did we? Good old KISS. Sometime I do forget that ::)

Do you need to control them remotely? i.e. Use X10

I was told that the WS467 would work, but it says nothing about using florescent applications.

The OP came to the X10 Forum and asked specifically about a WS467 - wouldn't we be safe in 'assuming' he was interested in X10 & remote control?  :-[ ::) ;)

As Brian H already stated, the OP can use an inline fluorescent module, a RR501 or TM751, and a STICK-A-SWITCH (so as not to disturb his drywall) and he's done. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:32:26 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

beckmana

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:03:05 AM »

Thanks for the information guys!  I just want to make sure that I understand what I need to do.  Once all of the florecent lighting is connected to the outlet all I need to do is plug in the TM751 or RR501 to a nearby outlet and add a SS13A slimline switch and I'm done?  Or do you actually have to have the lights pluged directly into the transciver?

How many separate lights can the transciver control? 

What is the difference between the TM751 and RR501?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »

The RR501 is a more robust tranciever than the TM751.  It's also two way, so AHP will display the status (on or off) if it remotely triggered, which the TM751 is not.

When using trancievers they cannot be on the same housecode. If you have two on the same housecode, they will clash with each other.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:19:49 AM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 04:54:38 PM »

One transceiver can do one house code with 16 unit codes in the address. Now more than one module can be controlled  at the sametime. If they have the same address. The TM751 has no powerline receiver in it but could be turned on and off from a remote for the lights. Limited control to remotes only; as no added powerline controllers will access it. RR501 is a better Transceiver though not as easy to find these days.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »

I just want to make sure that I understand what I need to do.  Once all of the florecent lighting is connected to the outlet all I need to do is plug in the TM751 or RR501 to a nearby outlet and add a SS13A slimline switch and I'm done?  Or do you actually have to have the lights pluged directly into the transciver?
Going back to your original question, you wanted to control them with a switch.  If you connect them to a standard outlet, that outlet must be controlled somewhere by a switch.  Just plugging a RR501 module into a nearby outlet doesn't solve the problem unless you wire the fluorescent lights through that RR501.  An RR501 can certainly act as your switch, as can a normal appliance module:

AC power ->  X10 Switch  ->  Outlet  ->  Lights
AC power ->  Outlet  ->  X10 Module  ->  Lights

If you choose to switch the outlet, that switch must be of the type designed for fluorescent or appliance loads - such as the XPS3.  There also is a X10 switchable outlet, but people have complained about its reliability.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:03:53 AM »

Once all of the florecent lighting is connected to the outlet all I need to do is plug in the TM751 or RR501 to a nearby outlet and add a SS13A slimline switch and I'm done?

No! Because you're ignoring what Brian H previously explained to you:

No not with fluorescent type lights. If the wall box has a neutral wire along with the load and line wire. X10 makes a decorator type switch [no dimming a flourescent lamp]. X10 WS13A; X10Pro XPS3-IW. X10Pro also makes a module that goes inside the lights fixture or in the wall box with a blank cover [signal controlled only no local buttons] XPFM.
If interested the users manuals for the X10 items are in the support area in users manuals. X10Pro is www.x10pro.com. Manuals section.

EVERY X-10 installation needs a:

• X-10 PLC Receiver - Lamp or Appliance Modules, Wall Switches, Socket Rockets, etc...
  • X-10 PLC Transmitter - Mini-Controller, Maxi-Controller, Pr511, CM11A, CM15A, RR501, TM751, etc...

In addition, you can optionally add:

• X-10 RF Receiver - such as the RR501, which also contains an X-10 PLC Transceiver (Transmitter *AND* Receiver)
     or the TM751, which contains an X-10 PLC Transmitter (but NO Receiver)
  • X-10 RF Transmitter - such as the Palmpad, Credit Card Controller, Battery-Powered Motion Detectors, etc...

...Or do you actually have to have the lights pluged directly into the transciver?

Now that I've explained the "design", *YOU* tell us!

Do you want to:

• Use an inline module (X10Pro XPFM), and connect that module directly to a circuit breaker?
  • Use a RR501 or TM751 plugged into an outlet and plug the fluorescent lights into the RR501/TM751?
  • Use an Appliance Module plugged into an outlet and plug the fluorescent lights into the Appliance Module.
    Use a RR501 or TM751 plugged into a DIFFERENT outlet
  • Replace the outlet with an X-10 SR227 SuperSocket or X10Pro PAO11?

...How many separate lights can the transciver control? 

Infinite.

...What is the difference between the TM751 and RR501?

Besides what I listed above, the RR501 has COLLISION DETECTION and the TM751 does not.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:06:38 AM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.