Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What product do I need for controlling a halogen fixture?  (Read 8523 times)

modz

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
What product do I need for controlling a halogen fixture?
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »

Hi,
I need some info on controlling a halogen spot light fixture that I have recently installed.
1. What products do I need to "remote control" this halogen fixture? I'm assuming I need a controller and a regular wall switch module and a wireless wall switch module that I can have at my bedside to control the regular wall switch module? Do these modules work with halogen fixtures?

2. I have another halogen light fixture in another bedroom that is low voltage with a magnetic transformer. What products do I need to control this fixture from the bedside? I have a dimmer switch on this one and would like an X10 dimmer switch for this. Do X10 products support low voltage halogen fixtures with transformers?

thanks,

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What product do I need for controlling a halogen fixture?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »

2) X10 has non dimming switches with a mechanical switch in it. I believe X10Pro makes a dimming one that can do low voltage lights. With the caution that the lights manufacturer says it can be safely dimmed.

cksedg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:42:35 AM »

Hi,
I need some info on controlling a halogen spot light fixture that I have recently installed.
1. What products do I need to "remote control" this halogen fixture? I'm assuming I need a controller and a regular wall switch module and a wireless wall switch module that I can have at my bedside to control the regular wall switch module? Do these modules work with halogen fixtures?

2. I have another halogen light fixture in another bedroom that is low voltage with a magnetic transformer. What products do I need to control this fixture from the bedside? I have a dimmer switch on this one and would like an X10 dimmer switch for this. Do X10 products support low voltage halogen fixtures with transformers?

thanks,

Will these x10 switches work even with no 110v in the box at all?  My switch is downline from the low voltage transformer.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »

Will these x10 switches work even with no 110v in the box at all?  My switch is downline from the low voltage transformer.

AFAIK (As Far As I Know ;) ), ALL X10 modules get their power from the 110V AC line, and MOST of them receive their remote-control signals through the AC line also.

This means the module will need a direct connection to the 110V AC line and your low voltage transformer will have be down-line from it.

Hope this helps some,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:13:37 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

cksedg

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:19:48 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Your answer is what I supposed was the case.  I'll have to figure out how to do it before the transformer.  Thanks so much!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »

You're welcome.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

LittleLarry

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »

I have a halogen floor lamp that has 2 halogen bulbs in it. It doesn't appear to have a transformer as far as I can tell. It plugs into the wall with a standard 2 prong electrical cord and does not have any type of dimmer built in, just a switch that turns one light on, then you turn it again and it turns off the one light, then turns on the other, turn it once more and both come on at the same time.

Would this type of halogen more than likely work ok with a standard x10 lamp module like the lm465 with smart start?

The bulbs are both 120v and I would only need to control 1 of them.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:46:34 PM by LittleLarry »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »

I have a halogen floor lamp that has 2 halogen bulbs in it. It doesn't appear to have a transformer as far as I can tell. It plugs into the wall with a standard 2 prong electrical cord and does not have any type of dimmer built in, just a switch that turns one light on, then you turn it again and it turns off the one light, then turns on the other, turn it once more and both come on at the same time.

Would this type of halogen more than likely work ok with a standard x10 lamp module like the lm465 with smart start?

The bulbs are both 120v and I would only need to control 1 of them.

I would use a AM466 Appliance Module as it won't dim to be on the safe side.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

LittleLarry

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

Well, I know that an appliance module would work, but I was wondering if I could dim the halogen since it doesn't have a built in dimmer. I thought I read that you could dim halogens with x10 lamp dimmers as long as the halogen didn't have a dimmer built in already as they were supposed to act like incandescents or something. This is one site I found on the topic so far.

I know that x10 mentions on their website that you can't dim halogens but it would seem as though the x10 community may have gotten some to work. I think?

http://www.homeautomatedliving.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-1424.html

Below is a quote from the link above and I was just wondering if it is ok, the part at the end where it says 120v halogens acting as incandescents:

"Depends on the light. If you're talking low-voltage halogens with a switching power supply, they are often kiss-of-death for X10. Install one in your house and all your X10 will stop working, and no amount of filtering will fix it. I bought some of them and finally threw them away when it was impossible to make them work.

If you get one that isn't so bad with X10, then it can be used with an appliance module or relay switch like you'd use with fluorescents.

If you're talking generic 120V Halogens, then they are simply incandescent lights and will work with any dimmer."

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »

If the Halogen light uses 120 volt bulbs. It should work.
Many even if they do not dim are a low voltage bulb with a transformer or a AC run DC Power Supply for the bulb. They should only be used with a Appliance type module.

Short test so take it as that.
120 volt 90 Watt GE Halogen Bulb in a table lamp.
Controlled by a LM465 module with Soft Start.
In the pass through outlet of a Smarthome ApplianceLinc; so the electronic warmth of the rear module; was on the LM465s back side.
Ran for 30 minutes. Module varied 100%; 50% and off. With a HR12A Palm Pad.
No problems I could see and the LM465 got hardly warm enough to feel.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »

Well, I know that an appliance module would work, but I was wondering if I could dim the halogen since it doesn't have a built in dimmer. I thought I read that you could dim halogens with x10 lamp dimmers as long as the halogen didn't have a dimmer built in already as they were supposed to act like incandescents or something. This is one site I found on the topic so far.

If there is no dimmer as part of the lamp fixture , AND your bulbs are 120V bulbs (this is important, if you bulbs are 12V stick with the Appliance Module), AND both bulbs together (since you can turn them both on at the same time) total 300 watts or less, then a Lamp Module should work fine.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.