Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: firecracker cm17a as maxi controller  (Read 4810 times)

superfly

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
firecracker cm17a as maxi controller
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:01 PM »

does anybody know of a relatively easy to use program which will run on windows that will allow the serial firecracker cm17a to function like a maxi controller where it will send addresses with On or OFF.  I would like to simplify scene programming for smarthome devices.  Thus use of macros would be great too.

It looks like Powerhome may be able to do this but is difficult to understand how to use.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: firecracker cm17a as maxi controller
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:42:47 PM »

does anybody know of a relatively easy to use program which will run on windows that will allow the serial firecracker cm17a to function like a maxi controller where it will send addresses with On or OFF.  I would like to simplify scene programming for smarthome devices.  Thus use of macros would be great too.

It looks like Powerhome may be able to do this but is difficult to understand how to use.

f you're talking about programming Smarthome devices, I aasume you really meant to write "...send addresses WITHOUT an On or Off code."

Unfortunately the CM17A Firecracker cannot send only an address by itself - the Firecracker RF signal protocol as defined by X-10 always combines the address with an On or Off code.

That being said, it's really up to the transceiver to convert the RF signal to a powerline command, and I suppose some enterprising individual could modify the firmware in a TM751 or RR501 transceiver (or even a CM15A) to send only an address and omit the On/Off function.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »

It appears to me that Smart Macros in AHP already provides this function for the CM15A. One of the advanced commands is "Issue An X-10 Address". My only question is why would you want to?  Can someone enlighten me?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

superfly

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »

programming or setting housecodes for switchlincs require sending house codes without "on" or "off".  there are no wheels to set.  The same goes for programming it for scenes.

if the cm17a hardwares limits this ability, then I guess it's a moot point..don't really care to hack it.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »

One of the advanced commands is "Issue An X-10 Address". My only question is why would you want to?  Can someone enlighten me?

As one Old-Timer to another, I'm sure that you just overlooked the concept of "Building a Group to Execute a Command Simultaneously". ;)

For example, comparing the operation of a Palmpad and/or Mini-Controller to a Maxi-Controller (even a BSR or SEARS :o ):

A1 A5 A11 DIM
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 04:21:44 PM »

Oldtimer; The modules in question need a set of X10 House Code Only signals to do things like the clear sequence; O16 N16 M16 P16 M16

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:46:52 PM »

Thanks for the explanantion.  I'm aware of the X-10 group command.  One of the things I don't understand is AHP Smart Macros having an address only function but no additional function to provide the subseqent on, off, dim, etc.  The other thing I don't understand is the string of addresses you mention with no subsequent command.  Can you provide a link to a manual or other reference to the equipment that would receive such a string so I can get a better feel for what's going on.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:04:35 AM »

Oldtimer:
Modules designed and manufactured by Smarthome Inc often have special features that can be programmed, e.g., ramp-up rate for some lamp module.  To program these features, you send the module certain strings of addresses with no intervening functions similar to what Brian H posted.

Here's the manual for one:
 http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2456d3.pdf
Check page 13.

It used to be the case that the only simple way to do this was with an X-10 Maxi-controller.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »

Thank you all for the explanations and the manual reference.  I now understand what the string of addresses with no command is intended to accomplish in the SmartHome hardware. 

As to the AHP address only command but, no function only command, I figured out and tested that if you have, say, four addresses in a string you set up a macro with the first three as address only and the last address with the command for all four.  Works great.  I can see the benefit of this if you're creating scenes. One of the many unexplained features built into AHP.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »

...As to the AHP address only command but, no function only command, I figured out and tested that if you have, say, four addresses in a string you set up a macro with the first three as address only and the last address with the command for all four.  Works great.
Makes sense though!

I have a Motion Sensor on my basement steps for a 40 watt incandescent, and a Stick-a-Switch on the wall at the bottom of the steps for my three main basement fluorescents. Sometimes, depending on timing, when I'm going up for the night I'll trigger the 40 watt and when I shut the shop fluorescent off, the 40 watt will go off too - catches the middle of the second MSxx transmission and overlays the ON with an OFF I suppose.

I've also (very randomly) seen the last device previously addressed (no matter how much time has elapsed) respond in parallel with a Palmpad command to a completely different House and Unit Code.

My point of these examples is that yesterday your thought process was "OK. I can send 4 addresses out individually, but cannot send a command out without an address, so what good is that", whereas today it's "OK. Send 3 individual adresses out, followed by a 4th address with a command, and they all respond as a group", which all makes sense with my 'hanging address without a command' observations.
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.