Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbee - want a email when a light turns on  (Read 38272 times)

bbuck7777

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbee - want a email when a light turns on
« on: September 02, 2006, 03:22:09 PM »

Newbee - done a look of searching and tried some different macros, but can't seem to get AHP and CM15A to just send an email when a light turns on.  I can run the macro manually and get the email.  So I know that part works.  I've tried having AHP send email when the lighting module goes off or on.  I've tried different house and unit codes.  I've tried to only send the email with a time range condition.  I've tried a dummy unit.  I tired to have the macro the same house and unit code as the lighting module.  Nothing seems to work.

I want the email to let me know the system is working when I'm out of town.

PS.  I have had great range increase by soldering extra wire to make full wave antenna to the CM15A.

Thanks for help, X10 doesn't answer my emails.  ???

bbuck7777

Re: Newbie - want a email when a light turns on
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »

Ok, X10 tech reps were no help what so ever.  So you just have to figure it out yourself sometimes.

For everyone else, I was able to get it to work by doing the following:

You have to have a timer and trigger residing in a running PC.  You can't have these stored in the CM15A.

Set a timer to run daily from your PC.  In my case I set "A10" to run 5:30PM everyday.  The "A10" is a Macro that turns on a LM465 for 20 seconds and turn turns it back off.  At the end of this Marco is a "send an email" advanced function.

The AHP sends me an email to my sprintpcs email account which in turn sends my cell phone with an "email waiting" at 5:30 local time each day.  It worked everyday until X10 security pop up ad came up on system and locked it down. 

There are probally other ways to do this, but X10 sure wasn't any help.  Good luck! :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Newbee - want a email when a light turns on
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:18:20 PM »

Can't beleive I missed this post  first time arround but I was away first half of Sept.
Sending e-mail macros have to reside on the PC as you found out! The timer shouldn't need to be saved on the PC it could be downloaded to the interface but if AHP isn't running on the PC with the CM15A connected the send e-mail function won't send!  ;)
You can disable the popup adds by going into preferences and unchecking "Show Featured Plugin" ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »

The OP didn't indicate if he had any of the plug-in's, just AHP and the CM15A.

Don't you need one of the plug-ins to send e-mails?  AHP by itself has no built-in e-mail capabilities.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »

The OP didn't indicate if he had any of the plug-in's, just AHP and the CM15A.

Don't you need one of the plug-ins to send e-mails? AHP by itself has no built-in e-mail capabilities.
Yes but since the OP said they got it working(to send e-mail) then they must have the plugins! ;) :)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »

You must be a mind reader.  I went back a re-read the orginal post, and nowhere is there any mention of any plug-in.   

Here's the exact first post: "Newbee - done a look of searching and tried some different macros, but can't seem to get AHP and CM15A to just send an email when a light turns on.  I can run the macro manually and get the email.  So I know that part works.  I've tried having AHP send email when the lighting module goes off or on.  I've tried different house and unit codes.  I've tried to only send the email with a time range condition.  I've tried a dummy unit.  I tired to have the macro the same house and unit code as the lighting module.  Nothing seems to work.

I want the email to let me know the system is working when I'm out of town.

PS.  I have had great range increase by soldering extra wire to make full wave antenna to the CM15A.

Thanks for help, X10 doesn't answer my emails.  Huh"

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »

You must be a mind reader. I went back a re-read the orginal post, and nowhere is there any mention of any plug-in.
Your correct Dan no mention of a plugin. Maybe I just read this
  I can run the macro manually and get the email.  So I know that part works. 
wrong! Can you make a macro? run it manualy and get e-mails? I know you don't have plugins!
If you can that do that then You only need the plugin to run the macro in auto ! ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

Your correct Dan no mention of a plugin. Maybe I just read this
  I can run the macro manually and get the email.  So I know that part works.

wrong! Can you make a macro? run it manualy and get e-mails? I know you don't have plugins!
If you can that do that then You only need the plugin to run the macro in auto ! ???

Tuicemen,
I'm confused!  I believe the MyHouse plug-in is required to get the "Send Email" action in the Advanced Functions menu.   (The OP refers to this in his second post.)  If so, then one would reasonably infer that the OP does in fact have that plug-in.  Why do you think he doesn't have plug-ins?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bbuck7777

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »

Sorry for all the confusion on what I have or don't have.  It hurts to be new at this! ;D

I have AHP, MyHouse online, Smart Macros and iWitness (package deal for Father's day).  I do have lamp modules and let the macro turn on one lamp for 20 seconds by timmer to act as a trigger.

Hope this helps..

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »

Ok you have to make sure the PC on and AHP is running and the CM15A is pluged into the PC the macro also has to be stored on the PC not the interface! ;)
your macro looks like this with the lamp address as the trigger! a better option is to make a phantom module(dummy module that does nothing) and use its address as the trigger then every time your lamp gets triggered you won't get an e-mail.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:57:23 PM »

Another option is to use conditions but they can get complicated for newbies!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »

Why not use X10Dispatch? It can send you e-mails based on whatever triggers you like. And it's free. Get it here: http://x10dispatcher.com/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »

Why not use X10Dispatch? It can send you e-mails based on whatever triggers you like. And it's free. Get it here: http://x10dispatcher.com/
True x10dispatcher will send a e-mail or MSN message but if you already have the Myhouse Online plugin you might as well use that! ;)
X10dispatcher will not send video but will send auto stills as well as do some other awesome stuff! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
E-mail Bug found!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »

Here's a thing you can try! go to e-mail configuration and change the "transmition mode" to "x10 portal" save your settings, Then trigger the macro with a palm pad or some other rf device. See if you get the e-mail! Then do the same for SMTP and Auto.[/b]
The reason:
AHP seems to Have a bug here!
I've noticed a lot of traffic (questions) about this, PM's, E-mail and a few differrent posts lately  :o ;)
Thinking something was a miss with so many questions I decided to do a simple test with a basic e-mail macro (no conditions or other modules in the mix)
I tried sending to my Hotmail account It blocks X10 e-mail as junk.
Sending as SMTP used the x10 portal ??? ::) Using the x10 portal usedSMTP (my IPS e-mail account) ::) ??? ??? setting to auto sent the email SMTP
If you have filters on your email account, messages from the portal may not come threw others have reported this many times!
If I added conditions to the macros the sends sometimes worked the way they were suppose to and some times not depending on the conditions I used ??? ::) ???
 :o This is going to take the x10 programmers some time to figure out! :o
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bbuck7777

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »

Wow Tuicemen no wonder I could not get some conditions to work!  I thought it was that I did not understand how it was supposed to work.  I did try your suggestion on using a dummy module and works everytime.  It was so frustrating to trade emails with X10 and getting ABSOLUTELY nowhere just before I had to go out of town.  )*!)&)!&777

Thanks for your help..

Each email setting you suggested worked for me.  ???
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.