💬General Category > General Discussion

What is the definition of AI here?

<< < (3/20) > >>

James G:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on March 10, 2019, 09:53:51 PM ---I get the feeling I get WAY more use from my Amazon AI devices than most posters here.... at this particular forum.

--- End quote ---

Dave, what all do you use Alexa for? I am looking for ideas.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: James G on March 11, 2019, 04:45:40 AM ---….. Dave, what all do you use Alexa for? I am looking for ideas.

--- End quote ---

I already have posted to a thread when you asked that before. And... when you PM'ed me.... I replied with a nice long PM about the same.

The thing is.... Alexa is a digital assistance. AI, and Home Automation at the current highest level.. If you're an old PalmPad-button-pusher... like almost everyone of us here is (myself included)…. yeah Alexa can push the buttons for you by voice command too. And if "lighting control" is what you think "home Automation" is... if that is as far as you can imagine HA to be... then Alexa is a voice controlled button pusher. PERIOD.

For many... actually most here. That's it. That's as far as they can comprehend.... and they can't see any reason to use the Internet to push a PalmPad button.

Since you've already posted that you own a Echo device.... then you should already know that There are Now More Than 70,000 Alexa Skills . And I'll bet that nearly 100 have to do with turning lights on and off. But that also means.... there are THOUSANDS of other Home Automation uses that maybe you haven't explored.

If Home Automation was still nothing more than remote lighting control... like it was 25 years ago... I STILL could NOT tell you how to automate your home. One.... because I don't know you. And I know of no way to guess your ambitions and/or desires for Automation. Here at the forum... we usually only offer suggestions about settings and trouble shootings.

The same thing applies to Alexa and Google devices. "IF" you or anyone else would like to upgrade and modernize their Home Automation with the latest greatest AI technology.... YOU have to do the work. YOU have to sort/shop through thousands of the various apps... read the descriptions and user reviews, install, test, and maybe even take notes and schedule time to USE the new skills... to see if they add value to your life. Yeah... maybe it's a bit like work.

It might be a lot easier to just find a "tin-foil-hat warnings" about how scary todays modern cloud can be. Or reminisce about pushing remote control buttons to have lights come on or go off (the GOOD OLE DAYS). Many here (at the forums) has found those technics to be very effective ways to avoid progress. It doesn't matter.

The deal is.... Alexa is now.... THE primary human interface to all Home Automation Systems. Just like the modern computer-based-communications systems have effectively replaced fax machines, letter writing, errand boys, and wired telephones (and soup cans connected by strings). However.... there are still old guys like myself... who still send cards and call friends and loved ones (from my easy chair). I think the human emotional connections are important. But.... my automation devices aren't human. And I don't assign them make believe feeling.

Tuicemen:
James G, despite what Dave's post may imply there are many of us on this forum that use Alexa, Google, Cortana and or other Voice assistants and are comfortable with using them for Home Automation as well as other things.
If you realy wish to learn more about Alexa and any new advancements (skills) that may pop up I suggest you join The un-offical Amazon Echo User forums
They do touch on the other Voice assistants but the Alexa devices get the most posts. Users there are also are very helpful at trouble shooting should you have a issue.
Maybe I 'll see you there!
 >!

bkenobi:
Alexa et al are basically just voice control via a speaker that Amazon et al wired to their search engines.  They don't really have all that much smarts at this point and the same can mostly be done with a phone or tablet (I know Android can and assume iPhone as well).  The difference between the iOS/Android solution and the smart speakers is really just when it listens and how it responds.  The speakers don't have a button that people use to activate the recognition and so they almost feel like an AI assistant.  You can set your phone to do the same thing (Google Assistant is basically identical).  I wouldn't consider my phone running Google Assistant to be AI but some people think that doing the same thing with a small speaker plugged into the wall is.   :'

dave w:
Early Sunday morning heavy winds took out a cable pole down the road from our sub division. Fortunately it was not a power pole. Unfortunately cable TV, internet, and perhaps phone is now down for 50 to 60 homes. And because not being a power pole, the cable company does not know when they can get a contractor to set a new pole. Pity all the Alexa, Google, homes with cloud switches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version