Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)  (Read 328605 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2006, 09:33:03 AM »

I haven't experimented with anything yet, but what I'd like to do is use microphones connected to my other PCs on my LAN.

There has to be a way to transmit your voice from other PC's mics to the one with BXVC.

There's another option for you Bill!

I know it can be done! ;) :D ;D

Tricky part is your part, "the coding" ;) :D ;D

**Cheers**

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:35:31 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »

The newer version of HS uses a distributed voice application so you can speak on any mic. connected to a computer on your lan. Seems that is a more problematic part of their program - but it can be done.

I use the old version of HS.

GLT

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »

I ordered a wireless microphone (FM) online the other day. Also I ordered a dongle and Bluetooth headset. Hopefully, I will at least learn something.

I am going to attemp to use a wireless Xcam (this weekend) to see if that works.

I also haven't given up on hardwire mic's.... and am currently searching for a small pre-amp.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »

I purchased two Radio Shack intercom units yesterday to see if I could talk/listen to BXVC.  This was to test out my assertion (see below).

Here is how I think it would work.  The Radio Shack intercom has a connection for an external device (audio source).  I would plug the cable from my PC sound card into the intercom.  That would be intercom (unit 1).  I would put another intercom (unit 2) next to my microphone that is attached to my PC.  Intercom (unit n) would be placed in various rooms.  BXVC commands can be directed through intercom (unit n).  Intercom (unit 2) will broadcast the command to my microphone that's attached to my PC.  BXVC and AHP would react to the command.  BXVC responses would be sent to intercom (unit n) through intercom (unit 1).

BXVC commands were easily received by unit 2 (as described above).  However, I was unable to receive BXVC responses through unit 1 (as described above).  I was hoping, by connecting the intercom (it has an audio connection plug) to the PC sound card, that I would get the response sent to the intercom instead of the PC's speakers.  But, that didn't work.  I also tried connecting the intercom to the PC's headset connection.  That didn't work either.

glt -- you mentioned in one of your posts ...
I use the 43-3102's every day for voice in Homeseer.

I just connected a mini plug to the speaker on the receive unit and plugged that into LINE_IN (yes it matters) on the PC.  This gives you volume control over the input and it's correct adjustment is absolutly CRITICAL to good VR.

This didn't work either.  So I'm at a loss right now.  Seems like I should be able to connect (the intercom) to either the "audio line out" connection on my PC or to the "headset" connection on the PC's monitor.  So it's back to the drawing board.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »

Wait --- I'm back testing the Radio Shack intercoms again.  It turns out I needed a audio adapter (stereo to mono) for the intercom end.  That's why it wasn't getting any sound through the intercom.  So now I can get the BXVC response through the intercom.  Now more testing, to see how I want to set everything up.  Stay tuned!!!! ...  if you are interested  ;D

glt

« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »

I just connected a mono mini plug to the speaker on the intercom (which would work on mic in.)

Yea, I guess that is a mono to L/R (stereo) adapter I am using for LINE-IN on my Creative MP3+  external USB sound card.

Sorry for leaving that out!

Remember the volume input level is critical - adjust in very small increments until you get the best results. I DID train a lot using the intercoms.

Good Luck!

Ooops looks like I missed the whole point - still will leave the info though. I think you will get a lot better response if you wire in the intercom to the sound card -but for now you can still return if you have range problems etc.

GLT
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:37:20 PM by glt »

HA Dave

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2006, 08:37:46 PM »

I have just gotten an idea.... and would like any feedback I can get.

Could I use phone wire to connect a small microphone (computer mic type), and if yes to what length?

I am still thinking of some hardwire solutions for whole house voice control. I would like to get a hardwire microphone and small speaker (for BXVC/computer sounds feedback) near the door to my garage. The speaker isn't as big a problem, as I figure I can reach this (and most areas) through the cold air return, duct work.

However speaker location is important. It might be helpful/easier to use two of the (extra wires in my case) already strung and waiting at the phone plates. I could put together adapters, and use the handy wires to plug-in the microphone, however it would mean at least a sixty foot extention.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2006, 09:30:28 PM »

Could I use phone wire to connect a small microphone (computer mic type), and if yes to what length?

Hey Dave: you should have no problems with length restrictions within your house for a wired mic using phone cable. The XCAM's still have good sound reception at 60'.  ;)

...as I figure I can reach this (and most areas) through the cold air return, duct work.

I don't know what the building codes are for this, and hopefully some other member can shed more light on it, but I don't think it's advisable to run wires through duct work (albeit low voltage), but you might want to check with your insurance company before doing this... just in case.

HA Dave

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2006, 10:05:07 PM »

...as I figure I can reach this (and most areas) through the cold air return, duct work.
I don't know what the building codes are for this, and hopefully some other member can shed more light on it, but I don't think it's advisable to run wires through duct work (albeit low voltage), but you might want to check with your insurance company before doing this... just in case.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about the building codes, I should remember to do that.

But what I meant, and should have been more clear about is: distributing sound via the cold air (return air) duct-work.

I did this once (many years ago) with a siren. By mounting a small speaker (or siren) in or ON a centrally located (or easy to get to) area of the "return air" duct, you can get pretty fair sound distribution. Not music quality or anything, but enough to hear a BXVC wav.

P.S. Though codes do vary considerably, they at least sell (a special high-temperature) CAT5 in this area for HEATING ducts.

glt

« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2006, 08:54:44 AM »

Hopefully not OT for this forum BUT both HAL and Homeseer use the unused pair of phone wires for voice communication to the modem (Voice Portal).

They both have wiring diagrams on their sites for how to do this.

They are YOUR wires - see who pays if wires IN your house break.

Use 'em for whatever you want - or course considering safety and building codes.

"The cause for the fire was a microphone connected to the phone wires." Golly, I kind of doubt it.

GLT

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2006, 09:53:18 AM »

glt good idea!
Hopefully not OT for this forum BUT both HAL and Homeseer use the unused pair of phone wires for voice communication to the modem (Voice Portal).
Can you post a link  for the lazy users that can't find it for them selfs! ;) :D
Most people have more than one phone jack in the house!

As long as they only have one line there will be a free set of wires at the jacks! ;) :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:55:39 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »

The only problem I can see is possible power interfirence in the phone lines. In standard four wire telephone cable, red and green are tip and ring, the two halves of the talking path. Black is ground and yellow is power for lighted phones.

If you want to use phone wire for voice communication for BXVC, pull separate cables for it.

BTW, if anybody doesn't know, ringer current is 92 volts DC. That is why Bell System banned telephones in bathrooms for years.  92 volts can kill you!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

glt

« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2006, 10:05:15 AM »

Your wish is ....

GLT

P.S. I believe black and yellow are for an optional second line (#)  and are unused typically. And, yes ringing voltage is substantial, please disconnect before doing any work. I am QUITE willing to be corrected. Also, it is always preferred to have seperately pulled and dedicated wires for anything, and always to avoid wireless . If I could find anyone willing to do that in my concrete block (top row FILLED concrete) house, I would be more than willing to pay. Out here in the sticks, I can't find anyone who will change an outlet. I've tried.

For the lawyer types: Do NOT attempt this (or anything else) at home. Hire a professional if you are unsure about anything. If you harm youself I am NOT responsible (and will probably call your Mother and tell on you)!

[TTA Edit: Added descriptions to LINKs.]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:32:29 PM by TakeTheActive »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:20 AM »

Dan: That is definitely something to be aware of (if your not a tech type). I think the idea though is to isolate the yellow & black at the phone's junction box so they are just free wires. However, I don't know what (if any) voltage will be induced into those wires when the phone rings.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »

Good point Dan!

Some may not be able to use this idea  but if  one has the 2 free wires it is easy to tell at least in my area the phone company doesn't even connect these at the main junction box at the house. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.