Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)  (Read 327532 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »

Dave_x10_L for his continuing ongoing effort to create a "manual" for BVC!   
Eventually, I will include a "credits" list in BVC as well!   ;)   :D

I just emailed Bill a draft of the BVC manual for editing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but here it goes:
I am planning on upgrading the microphone system used with B(X)VC. I am currently using Dave_X10_L's 'poor man' microphone approach (baby monitors), but I would like to use something a little more sophisticated to see if it makes a difference. I am currently looking at 2 options for audio mixers: 1) SHURE AMS8000 http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_AMS8000_ug_27A8273(QC).pdf 
and/or 2) CROWN SMX-6 http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/iqmuxhm.pdf.
For microphones I am planning on using 3 or 4 AMS22 http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Shure-Low-Profile-Microphone-with-20-Cable-and-Male-XLR-Connector-Wired-for-AMS-Shure.
Which audio mixer is better (and why)? I noticed that SMX-6 requires software to configure the various settings and the one I found does NOT have the software. AMS8000, on the other hand, doesn't require any software (at least I didn't see it specified anywhere).
Thanks!
Azzar0

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »

if anyone can give me any help in sorting out the differences in the API's I would be glad to try and support SAPI 4.0!  Heck, that would even allow adding in features of MS Agent!   8)

I might be able to help there Bill as I have a version of X10wavplayer which uses sapi4 and MS Agents! I also have a version of my operator face as an agent! ;) :D ;D
I'll add it to the Pile for that rainy day! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »

I am planning on upgrading the microphone system used with B(X)VC. I am currently using Dave_X10_L's 'poor man' microphone approach (baby monitors), but I would like to use something a little more sophisticated to see if it makes a difference.

This sure is the correct place! bigbear1969 already supplied this info back in post 172. His description is extensive and complete.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »

if anyone can give me any help in sorting out the differences in the API's I would be glad to try and support SAPI 4.0!  Heck, that would even allow adding in features of MS Agent!   8)

I might be able to help there Bill as I have a version of X10wavplayer which uses sapi4 and MS Agents! I also have a version of my operator face as an agent! ;) :D ;D
I'll add it to the Pile for that rainy day! ;) :D ;D

LOL!  Me and my big mouth!   ::)  I think that "pile" has fallen over and attempted to crush me on several occasions lately!   :o
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

azzar0

« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2007, 01:49:52 AM »

I am planning on upgrading the microphone system used with B(X)VC. I am currently using Dave_X10_L's 'poor man' microphone approach (baby monitors), but I would like to use something a little more sophisticated to see if it makes a difference.

This sure is the correct place! bigbear1969 already supplied this info back in post 172. His description is extensive and complete.

I read that post many times Dave. Unfortunately, bigbear1969 hasn't been online in a year. Also, he describes his setup, which is slightly different than what I am looking at. His mixer is gating ( only ONE mic open at any given time), while the one I am looking at does gating differently, by comparing front mic noise level to back of mic noise level. If front sound is louder (by more than 9 dB I think) then it switches that mic on. You could end up with MULTIPLE mics on, but for my application that would be OK. In any event, I believe classic gating is better for speech recognition in general, but given the price and the technology, this mixer (AMS8000) might work just as well. I'll try it and see what happens. I am sure you'll want to see how a professional mic setup helps with BVC :) I will let you know

HA Dave

« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »

I am sure you'll want to see how a professional mic setup helps with BVC :) I will let you know

Your right... and I will be following your posts! I like the idea of a hardwired set-up.
I did considerable research and testing before adapting the Baby Monitors. The entire time there was another member (glt) that kept posting that the correct solution was a certain model of intercoms that worked great in his set-up.

I know there are many ways to skin this [mulitable microphone] cat. I also know I learned a lot from glt's posts. I tried to incorporate everything I learned at one place to save future users any hassle they don't need. UNfortunately, I am not an "audio guy" so I also know there is MUCH more knowledge out there still to be shared.

I have become convinced.... that it really isn't as hard as it might seem to do a multiple microphone set-up. My baby monitors work near flawlessly. As I am sure glt's intercom set-up does also. I am confident you won't have any trouble getting the results your looking for.

azzar0

« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2007, 09:42:21 PM »

I am sure you'll want to see how a professional mic setup helps with BVC :) I will let you know

Your right... and I will be following your posts! I like the idea of a hardwired set-up.
I did considerable research and testing before adapting the Baby Monitors. The entire time there was another member (glt) that kept posting that the correct solution was a certain model of intercoms that worked great in his set-up.

I know there are many ways to skin this [mulitable microphone] cat. I also know I learned a lot from glt's posts. I tried to incorporate everything I learned at one place to save future users any hassle they don't need. UNfortunately, I am not an "audio guy" so I also know there is MUCH more knowledge out there still to be shared.

I have become convinced.... that it really isn't as hard as it might seem to do a multiple microphone set-up. My baby monitors work near flawlessly. As I am sure glt's intercom set-up does also. I am confident you won't have any trouble getting the results your looking for.
I like your idea and I thank you very much for your research and hard work putting your how-to together, Dave - it's awesome! I was up and running and able to set up a "proof-of-concept" mini system in no time at all because I just implemented your solution. It does work, but I have a wide open space in my family room and the TV is almost always on. My computer always seems to pick up random phrases from the TV and it thinks I asked him to wake up when in fact I didn't. And then he goes into the never ending "Can you please repeat?" routine, which gets old after a while. This is only because the microphone, while very sensitive, picks up everything and is unable to distinguish between "valid sounds" and not-so-valid-sounds. The microphones I purchased use a proprietary technology to separate background noise from actual speech by picking up sounds in front of it only. So everything that is in front of the microphone, at an 120 degree angle, gets transferred into the mixer and gated through. The rest of the sounds, coming from the sides and behind the microphone, are discarded. I really hope this will eliminate the unnecessary TV sound pick up that is going on right now. But we'll see. In any event, I will let you know what I come up with. I am still waiting for confirmation on the mixer, which I haven't yet been able to purchase.
Thanks,
Azzar0

HA Dave

« Reply #353 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »

This is a problem I have never posted about before. I should have.... but I have not.

Microphone adjustment is of course VERY important. I adjusted the microphone (BOTH the baby monitor receiver volume, AND the line-in volume on the computer) with the TV on, and the channel on the news (lots of talking). I adjusted the volume (this takes trial, error and TIME) till I could barely hear the TV and BXVC didnt read anything from it.

I have the baby monitor microphone unit facing a corner in the room away from the sound broadcast by the TV (and me). This allows the TV sound to "break-up", making the sound waves shorter, BEFORE they reach the microphone. However (when properly set-up) it still hears me loud and clear.

I made the finished adjustments (on the computer with the line-in UNmuted) with the TV on, and my wife talking on the phone.
When I could clearly hear my wife talking to her sister, but couldn't hear the TV..... I knew where the "sweet-spot" was at.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:59:44 PM by Dave_x10_L »

azzar0

« Reply #354 on: June 09, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »

This is a problem I have never posted about before. I should have.... but I have not.

Microphone adjustment is of course VERY important. I adjusted the microphone (BOTH the baby monitor receiver volume, AND the line-in volume on the computer) with the TV on, and the channel on the news (lots of talking). I adjusted the volume (this takes trial, error and TIME) till I could barely hear the TV and BXVC didnt read anything from it.

I have the baby monitor microphone unit facing a corner in the room away from the sound broadcast by the TV (and me). This allows the TV sound to "break-up", making the sound waves shorter, BEFORE they reach the microphone. However (when properly set-up) it still hears me loud and clear.

I made the finished adjustments (on the computer with the line-in UNmuted) with the TV on, and my wife talking on the phone.
When I could clearly hear my wife talking to her sister, but couldn't hear the TV..... I knew where the "sweet-spot" was at.
I will need to make adjustments as well, I think the level is too high on mine right now. Thanks for your clarification.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:10:40 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2007, 08:19:01 PM »

I just added some more info over at Bill's Forum about microphone set up.

Not a bad place to "share" info about Bill's X10 Voice Commander.

(Fixed the name on the link to BXVC)  ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:54:13 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »

Finally!  BVC is released!
For information, see the new thread: BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) (Visual BASIC version).  Enjoy!  See you in the new thread!   :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:25:59 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.