Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)  (Read 328081 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)
« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2007, 11:15:06 PM »

[ I think.... there is a way to use AHP macros to create a voice alarm clock..... but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Speaking of audio files, however, I CAN'T GET BXVC TO PLAY THEM - HELP, PLEASE!
............................... I get an error message: "Cannot play audio file:"Audio Files\E:\X10_BXVC_Audio_Files\close_pantry_door.wav"
It seems that BXVC is adding the "Audio Files\" prefix to all audio files - is there a way to change that?

Where-ever it is you put BXVC (you can put BXVC anywhere) go to its folder/files. Open the folder named: "audio" (or is it "audio files"?)". Then place your "door.wav" in that folder. Then where you've typed: Audio Files\E:\X10_BXVC_Audio_Files\close_pantry_door.wav" ..... replace that with: door.wav.

BXVC will automatically look in it's own audio files for the door.wav
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2007, 11:19:14 PM »

[ I think.... there is a way to use AHP macros to create a voice alarm clock..... but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Absolutely! In AHP you can have, for instance, a dummy module (say D10) set to come on at 7:30 AM (or whenever you want to wake up). In BXVC, you can set up a listener for D10 ON, which will then play a custom audio file OR just make an announcement. The problem with that approach is that you will have to have speakers in your bedroom and you'll have to remember to mute Butler (or whatever you named YOUR BXVC  ;D)
You can also set up a macro that turns on the speakers just before the announcement / audio file and then back off, etc.
Speaking of audio files, however, I CAN'T GET BXVC TO PLAY THEM - HELP, PLEASE!
So I setup a listener, and asked it to play an audio file. The file path and name is E:\X10_BXVC_Audio_Files\close_pantry_door.wav.
Whenever the listener kicks in, I get an error message: "Cannot play audio file:"Audio Files\E:\X10_BXVC_Audio_Files\close_pantry_door.wav"
It seems that BXVC is adding the "Audio Files\" prefix to all audio files - is there a way to change that?
Thanks,
Azzar0

The short answer is "no".

The longer answer:
BXVC in it's present incarnation "assumes" all audio files are stored int its "Audio Files" folder.  Therefore for it to play an audio file, you actually have to place a copy of the audio file in BXVC's "Audio Files" folder.

That is another improvement I made while "translating" BXVC to Visual BASIC... BVC not only lets you "browse" for an audio file to play, but it can play audio files from ANY folder!  You still have the option of manually copying the audio file to BVC's "User Data\Audio Files" folder to make them easier to find, but that is no longer "required" to make it play them.  In a future update, I will add a pop-up question asking if you want to copy the audio file to the "User Data\Audio Files" folder whenever you select a file that hasn't already been copied into that folder, thus eliminating the need to "manually" copy the file.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:21:31 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #332 on: June 01, 2007, 12:06:37 AM »

1) when is BVC coming out? Just curious, I have yet to play with BXVC (I prefer java to .net, but it sounds like the new version is better)
I have gone from "soon" to "very soon!"  ;)

I actually wanted to re-write BXVC in Java so that it could run on more machines and OS's (like Apple and Linux)!  There are (were?) three big road-blocks to that idea:
  1) I couldn't find any USB support in Java (at least not without "buying" someone else's code library.)
  2) There wasn't (still isn't?) any useful information on talking to the CM15A without using the (Windows only) AHP software.
  3) The MS Voice Recognition engine I am familiar with only works under Windows.  (CMU Sphynx looks promising for a Java port, but who wants to wait that long?  i.e. "eighth wonder of the world timeline!")  ;)

2) can you get local weather information loaded into BXVC so that you can ask "What is the temperature outside?" or "Is it supposed to rain today?" or "What's the forecast for the next few days?" etc
Not yet.  However Tuicemen and I have had a few discussions about how to do this and it indeed looks do-able, I'm just not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

3) It would be nice if you can have a "Status" category, where you can add standard and custom phrases. Additionally, BXVC would use an internal flag (boolean) to control Status announcements. For instance, suppose you have a few standard announcements like speak the time every hour (during the day or both day / night), announce the current weather information, next 1/2 day weather information, and top 5 news stories (from a decent source, NOT FOX!). Let's also assume that you define some custom announcements like "Your garage door is still open - remember to close it", etc. If you instruct BXVC to set Status to ON, then every hour these announcements will come on. You can turn the announcements off by saying "Status Off" OR "Standard Status Off" would only play the custom announcements, "Custom Status Off" would only play standard announcements, etc.
I agree, future versions will need some form of boolean flags.  Of course, MACROs to use the flags will be necessary too.  Also, it needs several forms of "memory", like remembering module status, a "conversation memory" so if you say "Turn up the TV" and it does, you can say "Turn it up more" and it will know you're still talking about the TV, etc.

So many "to do's", so little time!   :(
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #333 on: June 01, 2007, 01:04:22 AM »

Maybe we can all give a hand to Bill with a little $ and thin slice the .Net project into bite sized chunks so it can get done in some timeline less than building the 8th wonder of the world?

I can throw a few bones and maybe some names for coding help....
Any donation ($ or code) is greatly appreciated!   ;D

Code wise, it would have to be in the form of "donated code" i.e. no royalties expected, or we would have to hammer out some sort of agreement as to what people expect in return for their code contribution.  While I support the idea that "more heads are better" and the sharing of code advances the project, I don't want to get into the sort of situation David Mark did with "My House" (click here for one of his posts on the subject).

The program is killer cool. I wish I was home more to use it. (As I prepare for a new class in Silicon Valley) it would be nice to have that computer reminding me time is slipping... 
Thanks!   :D

I would *love* to see an option to MS Speech. I have licenses to Dragon, Via Voice, Voice Xpress, etc...
BXVC and BVC support any speech engine that is MS SAPI 5.x compatible.  Had I known SAPI 4.x was the most common, I would have coded for it.  However, it looks like most "future apps" will need to comply to MS SAPI 5.x as that is what Windows Vista supports.  That said, there are a great deal of resources out there that only support SAPI 4.x (recognition engines, voices, etc.) and if anyone can give me any help in sorting out the differences in the API's I would be glad to try and support SAPI 4.0!  Heck, that would even allow adding in features of MS Agent!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Tcat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2007, 01:33:19 AM »

"Code wise, it would have to be in the form of "donated code" i.e. no royalties expected"

Of course. I am a bit of a SME on this matter. Code donators are "published". I have launched more than a couple folks as full time book authors this way....
That is the "pay". :)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »

"Code wise, it would have to be in the form of "donated code" i.e. no royalties expected"

Of course. I am a bit of a SME on this matter. Code donators are "published". I have launched more than a couple folks as full time book authors this way....
That is the "pay". :)

Errr... HUH?  I hate to admit it, but the batteries in my "Uneversal Translator" must have finally died!  I must have forgot to change them when DST kicked in!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:48:15 AM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Tcat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »

I should know better than to add something when I am working on another project  :-\

I've written a # of books. I think I am on #'s 35 and 36 (ETA-i.ORG) Computer Service Tech and Computer Network Service Tech. They are books about passing certification tests. <That is what I do, write about computer tests, teach how to take tests>

I did several books where folks wrote say, a chapter. They we're *promised* to never get a dime. However, they we're "published". Really! Nice hardcover and trade cover books. AND they are given away on the Internet too. http://certiguide.com/apfr/index.htm

So the folks who "gave" away their efforts, got to put on their CV/Resume they are published. That puts them to the front of the line in job interviews.
The only guy who didn't see a major jump forward in the career path was the guy who wrote the Safety chapter. He works for a nice gov agency and didn't want to leave town for a new job. I don't think it hurt his performance review though since he was now "an author".

I'm in quotes with "an author" because I have discovered if your code or writing is "in the wild" you get this massive respect in the HR world that is beyond any understanding I can explain. So "free" becomes quite the career boost since it goes on the CV/Resume and people can confirm "I did that".

Maybe it has something to do with being visible... I don't know. But it works.  8)
FYI, same deal with the Security+ book. Just fewer folks.

Tcat

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

Where-ever it is you put BXVC (you can put BXVC anywhere) go to its folder/files. Open the folder named: "audio" (or is it "audio files"?)". Then place your "door.wav" in that folder. Then where you've typed: Audio Files\E:\X10_BXVC_Audio_Files\close_pantry_door.wav" ..... replace that with: door.wav.

BXVC will automatically look in it's own audio files for the door.wav

Well that explains it... I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Thanks!
Azzar0

azzar0

« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »

That is another improvement I made while "translating" BXVC to Visual BASIC... BVC not only lets you "browse" for an audio file to play, but it can play audio files from ANY folder!  You still have the option of manually copying the audio file to BVC's "User Data\Audio Files" folder to make them easier to find, but that is no longer "required" to make it play them.  In a future update, I will add a pop-up question asking if you want to copy the audio file to the "User Data\Audio Files" folder whenever you select a file that hasn't already been copied into that folder, thus eliminating the need to "manually" copy the file.

I still dislike (for lack of a better word) .net  BUT GET ME THE BVC ASAP :) I'll take even the pre-alpha version, the least I can do is test it for you. And trust me, I will be doing a lot of testing. I want to get my wife to talk to "Butler" too ;) and my kids eventually - talk about system stress!!! :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »

Bill is on Yahoo messenger almost nightly!
If you catch him there you can get the program (BVC) real quick!
I think that is the only way Bill is handing it out right now as testers can quickly report the bugs to him via messenger! ;)
I must say every one will be impressed when it is finally released it is very solid! ;) (at least in my tests)
Note: when you create a yahoo account use your same handle that you use here, if it is taken add " _x10 " to the end of it
that way Bill and the rest of us there will know who you are! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

azzar0

« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »

Great! My Yahoo messenger ID is azzar0, so it should be easy. I take it yours is tuiceman and Bill's is BXVC?
I'll try to get on later tonight to chat with you guys.
Thanks!
Azzar0

azzar0

« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »

One more question - is it possible to have BXVC start up automatically when Windows / AHP starts? While I'm asking this - is it possible to start AHP automatically when Windows starts? I tried using the Start Up shortcut (and dragged activehome.exe) but it doesn't work. I already setup my Windows XP account to autmatically sign me in, but now I have to figure out how to start these things so that if the computer reboots (autmatic updates, etc) I won't be disconnected...
Thanks,
Azzar0.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #342 on: June 01, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »

Bill is billofbxvc
I'm tuicemen_x10 I've sent you a contact request. ;)
You Probably won't catch me as I'm heading to the cottage so as the wife gets home!
Yes it is possible to have AHP and BVC start with windows I even think BXCV can although it Has been a while since I used that! ;)
Basically right click on start, then click on open click on programs,click on start!
Now right click in the window scroll down to new and click on it, click on shortcut, in the window that opens browse to the location of AHP and click OK ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #343 on: June 01, 2007, 09:46:11 PM »

Bill is billofbxvc
I'm tuicemen_x10 I've sent you a contact request. ;)
You Probably won't catch me as I'm heading to the cottage so as the wife gets home!
Yes it is possible to have AHP and BVC start with windows I even think BXCV can although it Has been a while since I used that! ;)
Basically right click on start, then click on open click on programs,click on start!
Now right click in the window scroll down to new and click on it, click on shortcut, in the window that opens browse to the location of AHP and click OK ;)

billofwgjohnscom also works to get to me!   ;)

Yes, you can create a shortcut to BXVC's program file the same way.  Browse to wherever you put BXVC and find the file "Bill's X10 Voice Commander.hta" (the ".hta" may not show depending on your Windows settings.  ;)  ).

P.S.
AHP does not have to be "running" i.e. "visible" for BXVC or BVC to work.  AHP will have to be "running" if you have created any MACRO's in AHP that "run from computer" only.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #344 on: June 01, 2007, 11:06:12 PM »

Tcat:

Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, I see your point now.  Especially in the acedemic and scientific communities, being "published" is a BIG feather in your cap!

I do my best to acknowlege ALL contributions ($ or code), although I must admit I have fallen a bit behind on that.

To bring us up-to-date (I think), I would like to thank:
Don N, steinie44, and "Mr. Y." (since I can't seem to link you to your X10 nic!) for their $ contributions!   8)   ;D

I would also like to thank Tuicemen (yet again!) for his wonderful new "Operator" Face Graphic set which he has graciously given me the permission to include in future releases (if, and only if, I remove the "old" one ;)  )!   8)   ;D

Oh, yes and of course Dave_x10_L for his continuing "emotional support", as well as his ongoing effort to create a "manual" for BVC!   8)   ;D

Eventually, I will include a "credits" list in BVC as well!   ;)   :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:13:38 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.