Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MS14A RF range  (Read 27535 times)

houstonaquarious

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS14A RF range
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »

I installed a new MS14A 10 feet from the CM15A and the receiver would not pick up the RF from the motion sensor. When I took the MS14A down from over the front door and brought it into the room with the CM15A, it worked fine. I have had better results with the DM10A motion sensors. Could be that they have more XMIT power. They use 4 AA batteries as opposed to the MS14A's two AAAs. I've found the MS14As to be virtually useless.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: MS14A RF range
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »

Could be more power on the DM10A. Some CM15A units are not known for good RF recpetion. Have you tried the antenna pointed horizontal? That sometimes makes things better. Also if the motion sensor was mounted on a surface close to metal or there was metal in a wall between the CM15A and the MA14A that could also effect the range.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »

I agree with Brian.  Since the DM10A uses 4 AAAs it makes sense that it has better range.  As I have said before, there are 3 classes of X10 wireless transmitters.  The 6V (4xAAA) transmitters have the best range, the 3V thick (2xAAA) transmitters have average range and the 3V thin (button cell) have poor (almost unusable) range.  Things get much better if you use a really good transceiver (such as the V572AB by WGL & Associates).

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:17:24 PM »

Things get much better if you use a really good transceiver (such as the V572AB by WGL & Associates).

Roger are you using the V572AB and are you happy with its performance. Do you have any examples of range improvements? I use several keychain remotes and numerous motion sensors and am looking for a way to improve their performance.  ???

Thanks in advance for any information.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 05:35:27 AM »

JimC

I installed the V572AB about 3 months ago. I am very happy with it. I have a 2 story house, basement and attic. The CM15A is in the basement and the V572AB is in a hall on the first floor. (About the middle of the house.)  Before installing none of the remotes worked unless I was in the basement or top of the stairs going down to the basement. Now all my remotes and motion sensors work no matter where I am in my yard. Lot is about 60' x 125'.  I did however ended up mounting the antenna horizontally for best signal. Even my stick'em switches work upstairs. Its easy to setup and comes with all house codes enabled.

Overall I would say the range on my keychain remotes are between 75 to 100 feet. Never realy tried any further then that. The V572AB gets my vote for best addon, well worth the investment.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:40:36 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »

KDR,

Thanks for the response. If I can get 75 feet of range on my motion sensors I will be happy  ;D.
I currently have transceiver modules strategically located throughout the house and would like to eliminate them.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 06:47:04 AM »

A V572AB in my attic gave me keychain remotes about 150' from the house in a test. It was a test and I aimed the remote directly at the area where the antenna was.

JimC

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 06:53:35 AM »

Brian said
A V572AB in my attic gave me keychain remotes about 150' from the house in a test

Well that is certainly better than the 20 feet I get from my keychain remotes.
Sounds like it is worth the $80.  :-X
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 10:28:43 AM »

Roger are you using the V572AB and are you happy with its performance. Do you have any examples of range improvements?

I don't have the V572AB (the CM15A is meeting my needs for now) so I can't give you any first hand examples, but others have done so both in this thread and elsewhere in this forum.  My one concern about using V572AB in a residential neighbourhood is that the range is so good that if any of your neighbours are using X10, there is no way of preventing it from transceiving their commands (other than by using different house codes).

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 03:46:36 PM »

Sounds like it is worth the $80.  :-X

What about: Dave Houston's Eggbeater Antenna ?  [s/b < $80! ;) ]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:44:09 AM by JeffVolp »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

JimC

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »

TakeTheActive said
What about: Dave Houston's Eggbeater Antenna ?  [s/b < $80!  ]

Nice link, I'll add it to my collection of usefull links supplied by you... Unfortunately I don't have the time right now tobuild anything.  >:(
_ _ ...  ..._ _

JimC

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »

Well, I got my V572AB today. I went around and unplugged all of the transceiver modules I was using including the CM15A so that I could do a test of the range of the new unit. To my surprise I could get nothing to turn on using a Palm pad remote.  :- The LED on the V572AB was indicating that it was seeing the signal and acting on it but nothing would work. The V572AB came with the X10 power line interface (PSC05 ) for getting the signal  into the house wiring and I think that is where the problem is.

I put everything back to the way it was before I got the V572AB and with the PSC05  plugged in I could still not controll anything. As soon as I unplugged the PSC05 all worked fine. I sent an email to Automated outlet late last night and am waiting for a response.

The V572AB appears to be a really nice little unit and very sensitive to incoming RF signals. I was seeing the LED indicating that it was receiving an RF input, with the antenna disconnected,while I was using a Palm Pad on the other side of the room.

I will post my results after I hear from the supplier.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »

Well, I got my V572AB today. I went around and unplugged all of the transceiver modules I was using including the CM15A so that I could do a test of the range of the new unit. To my surprise I could get nothing to turn on using a Palm pad remote.  :-\ The LED on the V572AB was indicating that it was seeing the signal and acting on it but nothing would work. The V572AB came with the X10 power line interface (PSC05 ) for getting the signal  into the house wiring and I think that is where the problem is.

I put everything back to the way it was before I got the V572AB and with the PSC05  plugged in I could still not controll anything. As soon as I unplugged the PSC05 all worked fine. I sent an email to Automated outlet late last night and am waiting for a response.

The V572AB appears to be a really nice little unit and very sensitive to incoming RF signals. I was seeing the LED indicating that it was receiving an RF input, with the antenna disconnected,while I was using a Palm Pad on the other side of the room.

I will post my results after I hear from the supplier.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your V572AB.  I hope you get it resolved soon.  From what I have heard AO provides good support for products they sell, but I am interested to hear your experiences.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 10:27:02 AM »

...The V572AB came with the X10 power line interface (PSC05 ) for getting the signal  into the house wiring and I think that is where the problem is.

...From what I have heard AO provides good support for products they sell, but I am interested to hear your experiences.[/size]

From what I've READ (various forums and newsgroups), Martin (Automated Outlet) is an *EXCELLENT* person to do business with.  Just head over to the forums on CocoonTech and talk to him - AFAICT, he's logged on all day long... ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »

By chance did you check to see if all house codes are enabled? As I recall they should be shipped this way. There is a program to download that allows you to set which house codes you can send on.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.