Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not even a Newbie yet.  (Read 7795 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Not even a Newbie yet.
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »

Greetings all,

I have joined and searched and can't seem to resolve my question.  I have an old house.  Built in the 40's.  Original wiring for most of the house, i.e., no ground wire.  Will X-10 work in this context?

thanks,

Billaban

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Not even a Newbie yet.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of home automation!

I could be wrong but I don't see why X10 wouldn't work for you. You'll need to stay away from the grounded appliance modules. Also some light switches need a neutral wire that your home may not have. I think everything else should work. Just like newer homes, you may experience some "phase problems" where the X10 signal has problems and you may need to get a signal bridge. Most of us long time X10 users have one. A signal tester can come in handy also.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 03:29:59 PM »

Greetings all,

I have joined and searched and can't seem to resolve my question.  I have an old house.  Built in the 40's.  Original wiring for most of the house, i.e., no ground wire.  Will X-10 work in this context?

thanks,

Billaban

The house I live in was built in the 30's.  Most of the receptacles are just 2-prong.  X10 works fine, including 3-prong modules connected via a 2-prong adapter.  The only shorcoming is that I can't use wire-in modules which require a neutral in the older switchboxes.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Billaban

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 03:31:20 PM »

Great.  So I had a break-in at my house this past summer and part (if not all) of my motivation here is home security.  That may change but for the moment..... I'm looking at some of the kit offers from the likes of x10.com, e.g., http://www.x10.com/products4/google/x10_home_security_system.html#up2

I'm wondering if this is truly quality equipment or should I expect to spend more for equipment that will work well. I'm definitely a quality over quantity kinda guy and there does appear to be an abundance of traffic on this forum talking about all kinds of problems getting these systems working.  I am a S/W engineer and know enough about H/W to be dangerous but would like to think this is and s/b quite simple.

thanks,

Billaban

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »

...I had a break-in at my house this past summer and part (if not all) of my motivation here is home security.  That may change but for the moment....
I recommend that you seriously look at the experience that some of the posters have had here.
In all fairness to X10, I expect that there are many happy people out there using X10 for their security. I opted for a professionally installed system that is monitored. I recommend staying away from the names like ADT, however. They lock you in with their controller and force you to over pay for monitoring services. My alarm does have an optional output that I have wired to powerflash module to flash my lights when the alarm is triggered.

This discusion would worry me the most about an X10 system.

We have at least one professional installer that is active on this board that may toss in his 2 cents also.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 04:11:40 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:03:10 PM »

Another thing to consider is how many windows, doors and if used motion sensors will you need? X10 has a limit on the number of zones it has. Radio Shacks 49-1000 is made by X10 for them and has 32 zones. X10 IIRC has 16. Spend some time searching the boards and comparing.

Please keep in mind that many posts here are from people that had or have problems and in many cases call X10 junk. X10 can and does work good. There are many talented people here that will help you. Welcome to the boards :)
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:48 PM »

I have an old house.  Built in the 40's. 

My home was built in 1943! The wiring has been semi-updated, so I have a mix of grounded (3 prong) and older (2 prong) outlets. I haven't had any special problems do to wiring.

However (big red letters for TTA) the walls have caused a small work-around. The walls are not "dry-walled" like newer homes. They are constructed of "blue board" with a plaster top coat. That makes them about an inch thick and like concrete. In the garage... the builder used blue board and metal lath to support the plaster.

The construction seems to limit RF transmission. So I try to locate things like the transceiver, video sender and (camera) receiver, in the basement. The floors (and windows) seem much easier to transmitt through, as compared to the walls.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Billaban

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:23:33 AM »

OK, I'm willing to believe.  Thanks for the assorted response's.  I think I'll "jump in" sometime soon. 

Perhaps I should start a new subject thread but I'll ask here anyway.  I intend to implement what I presume to be a standard configuration with motion sensing indoors and sensors at the obvious points of entry.   I'll put a sign in the yard and a few stickers on the house.  My primary concern is deterrence during the day and when I am away, e.g., a week for thanksgiving.  Having said that I have two other concepts of interest:

1.  I have several motion sensor flood lights outside that work reasonably well but would consider upgrading(?) to X-10 capable units for all the obvious reasons.  What I have read indicates that the integrated flood light motions sensors have a range of only 20'.  This is remarkably inadequate.  Comments?

2.  I have also read about fake video cameras that have motion sensors that will "appear" to track anything that the sensor picks up and a blinking LED to augment the stooge.  I would presume that this is an excellent deterrent if it looks realistic and actually works as advertised.  Certainly I could do the real thing but this seems like overkill for an average home.  Comments?

thanks,

Billaban

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »

Hello Billaban,
First I would recommend that if you use the X10 signs that you cut off the part that says X10.
You, certainly would want people to know that you have a security system.
BUT NOT what kind.

If someone really wanted to get into your house, knowing what system you're using HELPS them.
They could easily get on the internet and learn of it's shortcomings and how to circumvent them.

Secondly, X10 has sales where you can get the REAL THING for about the same or even lesser price than some of the FAKE ONES.

BTY: Even if it's only 20' that should be sufficient. You wouldn't want cars & people passing by to constantly trip your floodlights. Only when they approach your home.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:29:50 AM by Duck69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 11:32:13 AM »

1.  I have several motion sensor flood lights outside that work reasonably well but would consider upgrading(?) to X-10 capable units for all the obvious reasons.

Do upgrade to X10. But don't JUST upgrade ADD MORE. The more the better!

2.  I have also read about fake video cameras that have motion sensors that will "appear" to track anything that the sensor picks up and a blinking LED to augment the stooge.  I would presume that this is an excellent deterrent if it looks realistic and actually works as advertised.  Certainly I could do the real thing but this seems like overkill for an average home.  Comments?

I agree with Duck69... get the real cameras! It's not overkill, or that pricey (check X10 deals and sales). You can even set-up for email alerts when your out of town. Or check to see if that package arrived. Try that with a fake camera.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »

I have to agree as well with Duck69!
X10 continually has deals on various cams even ones with pan&tilt bases which triple your viewing area!
If in doubt about a particular cam check the forums many have posted pics so you can see the quality of various cams! ;)
Read the forums here and learn as much as you can before you perchase it will make the setup go much smoother! ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.