Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Active Home Pro - some appl mods not working?  (Read 35665 times)

Dave G

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Home Pro - some appl mods not working?
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »

I am having problems using the Active Home Pro software to turn on my Christmas lites.  I have been doing this for quite a few years and have only encountered this problem this year.  (not sure of when I upgraded to the Pro version, but thinking it was earlier this year- after my last use for Christmas lites.)

The software will turn on about 75 % of the modules, and one specifically that doesn't work now, i thought worked the other night.  The remote WILL work to override this problem, but that's not how I need it to work.  I use 2 & 3 pin app modules as well as a few receptacles.  Combined, I probably have about 16-20 being used.

Any ideas??

I tried to add new modules thinking it could have been the 'conversion', but same thing.  Also, they are all the same house/unit code.

Thanks in advance..... 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Active Home Pro - some appl mods not working?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »

I tried to add new modules thinking it could have been the conversion, but same thing.  Also, they are all the same house/unit code.
so you converted a ActiveHome file to a Activehome Pro one?
Chances is that was the problem usualy found in the macros , timers or room. The AHX file is probably corupt and you've just discovered where! ::) ;)
Create a new ahx file and just add those problem modules then test from AHP!  ;)
If they work then the problem was a corrupt AHX file and you need to rebuild from scratch :(
I know of very few users that have upgraded converted from AH to AHP without file problems!
Note: corrupt AHX files also occur when doing an update
one draw back from internet installs this may also of been where the file was damaged! :(
*** ;) Always, Always,Always ;) ***
Keep a good back up copy of your AHX file
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dave G

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »

i tried to create a 'new' file when i opened ahp, created 1 new 3pin, 1 new 2pin and a new recept mod - all set to the same house/unit code.  turned them on and same thing, had problems with the same lites.

i will have to pay more attention later, but am pretty confident that it isn't working.  any other thoughts?  thanks...

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »

Could you give us some info on what House/Unit codes your using and which ones are giving you a problem? Are these modules set to come on with a Timer or Macro? How do you have AHP config as far as transceiver house codes? This info might help us narrow the problem down.

Another thought is, have you added anything to your home electronics since last year? New TV or computer? Maybe a game cube or something? You could be having a noise or signal loss due to a power supply or something.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dave G

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:16:31 PM »

I believe that since last year, when everything worked without a gliche, i bought my new computer and that is when i upgraded to the Active Home Pro. I believe I was able to 'transfer' over my previous macros/timers etc.

I currently am using the 'A' house code for my normal day to day living, but my Christmas lights are set up under the 'C' house code.  For the outside lights that I am having problems with, i am using '5' unit code.  This is used for many modules (2-pin appliance, 3-pin appliance and receptable modules).  I have 4 20-amp circuits running all my lights.  for each circuit, i built a box of outlets - each has 3 pairs of outlets - with one being an x-10.  the other normal outlets, i use appliance modules.  in 2 of the 3 boxes, ALL controls work thru the computer - there is ONE box that is having the problems.  I believe it is either 2 3-pin appliance mods or 1 3-pin app mod and a recept that are having the problems (consistently now).  Keep in mind that if i use my palm pad, it WILL control these lights, it's just the computer (Active Home Plus) that is having the problem controlling them.

** The problem occurs not only with the manual operation thru the Active Home Software, but also with downloaded timers.

I hope this answers the questions.  Thanks for taking the time to help me out... 

PS - i did a search and saw something about NOISE and to try it with the dryer running (doesn't make sense to me, but just so happens that I was testing while the dryer was on ).  Not familiar with what NOISE is....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »

PS - i did a search and saw something about NOISE and to try it with the dryer running (doesn't make sense to me, but just so happens that I was testing while the dryer was on ).  Not familiar with what NOISE is....
Your confusing or the poster was, phase issues  with noise issues.
The post may have concerned both as they are the most common issues facing users!
To see if it is your PC move your CM15A to another location and see if the timers/macros work for those problem modules.
Noise can sometimes be hard to weed out, but not impossible! ;) :D ;D
Is the CM15A in the same location as the CM11A was?  ???
If so look at any new devices on that circit (like your new PC) and unplug them,just turning them off won't work. ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:11:36 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dave G

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »

Your confusing or the poster was, phase issues  with noise issues.
The post may have concerned both as they are the most common issues facing users!
To see if it is your PC move your CM15A to another location and see if the timers/macros work for those problem modules.
Noise can sometimes be hard to weed out, but not impossible! ;) :D ;D
Is the CM15A in the same location as the CM11A was?  ???
If so look at any new devices on that circit (like your new PC) and unplug them,just turning them off won't work. ;)

the pc and interface are in the same spot as the old one.

question about some of the replies about moving things or the pc not working ...  do these recommendations hold true even though similar type modules are working right next to the ones that are not??  The software works for about 85% of the modules I am using - and like i said, the ones that are not working are on the same circuit , right next to the ones that ARE working.   ???

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »

Keep in mind that if i use my palm pad, it WILL control these lights, it's just the computer (Active Home Plus) that is having the problem controlling them.

** The problem occurs not only with the manual operation thru the Active Home Software, but also with downloaded timers.

By any chance, do you have a 2nd Transceiver in your setup?

If the CM15A is the only one, and your PalmPad is successfully controlling all lights thru it, then Phase & Noise are most likely not a problem.

It is very strange that manually selecting the lights in AHP has a problem where the remote does not. Is the remote set to trigger a macro or for directly addressing the modules?

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:42:03 AM »

Keep in mind that if i use my palm pad, it WILL control these lights, it's just the computer (Active Home Plus) that is having the problem controlling them.

If the CM15A is the only one, and your PalmPad is successfully controlling all lights thru it, then Phase & Noise are most likely not a problem.

It is very strange that manually selecting the lights in AHP has a problem where the remote does not. Is the remote set to trigger a macro or for directly addressing the modules?

good question - i do have a tranceiver in my garage so that I can use the remote.  Is the interface capable of receiving the signal of the remote?  Should i try to unplug the tranceiver?  last year, i usually have 2 tranceivers set to the same house code ('C') - one in my L/R and the other in my garage so i can use the remote wherever i am in the house..   i still haven't put the one in the LR yet..

i think i may have addtl app mods, so i was going to try and replace them with diff ones.  i am also thinking of taking one that i know is working and plugging the lites in and see if i can't eliminate the module as being bad..

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:10 AM »

question about some of the replies about moving things or the pc not working ...  do these recommendations hold true even though similar type modules are working right next to the ones that are not??  

YES!!
Noise does do some strange things!
and can only effect certain house/unit codes.

Since you say every thing works with remotes just not with the AHP software I'd tend to be looking at the PC.
more things to try :
Try removing the USB cable from the CM15A and test a timer I've heard of problems with thouse. also ceck to make sure all connections to the PC are tight ;)
Do you have a tv tunner in the PC if so swap out the cable with a newer one I've heard on noise comming from bad ends.
Try swaping modules out that are right next to each other (change each ones house/unit code to that of the other)
Do an Advanced Search on "power line noise" you'll find over 5 pages of post on this.
As Puck stated
if so this maybe the problem! Ahp needs to be configured properly for those to work!
depending on the OS you are using you may then need to add "send RF" comands in your macros/timers
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »

Chances is the module isn't bad if the remote controls it!
Try removing the other tranciever
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dave G

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

Thanks for the info - i will try this stuff tonite and report back....   

Dave G

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »

well - as i was walking in from work, i grabbed the transeiver out of the outlet and come 5pm - the lites came on, so it must have been that.

Now that you guys helped me identify where the problem was - is there anyway i can use the tranceiver?  I think i still need it for when i want to control the lights manually, right?

Thanks again...

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »

I think i still need it for when i want to control the lights manually, right?

You should be able to control it with the remote thru the CM15A. Just make sure you have the CM15A set to Transceive house code "C".

Dave G

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »

well - as i was walking in from work, i grabbed the transeiver out of the outlet and come 5pm - the lites came on, so it must have been that.

Now that you guys helped me identify where the problem was - is there anyway i can use the tranceiver?  I think i still need it for when i want to control the lights manually, right?

Thanks again...

GRRRR !!!   >:(

I hope this ends soon ....

Ok, they came on no problem, but come the end of night - problem occurs again ..  I look outside and sure enough, all the lights that I was having problems with are still lit.  I used the remote and they turned off fine.

I believe I have another tranceiver in my shed, but i highly doubt it's the same house code - could this be a problem? 

Sorry all - this stuff has been working trouble free for me for the past MANY years, now these little annoyances are popping up and driving me nuts..
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.