Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice For A Dawn Simulator?  (Read 6606 times)

iwmtv

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Advice For A Dawn Simulator?
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:50:40 PM »

What would I need to buy that will work as a dawn simulator.
Basically something I can plug an incandescent floor lamp into that
I can program to not only turn on at a certain time, but so the light
brightens gradually?

I've looked at Dawn Simulators that are sold and they are very expensive.

paulnoel12

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Advice For A Dawn Simulator?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »

maybe if you plug the lamp into a lamp module and set up a macro that would allow the lamp to come on to maybe 20% then delay for a short while then have it brighten to 25 or 30 then delay and then to 35 or 40 then delay and repeat this until you reach 100% it would sort of act as a dawn simulator. you could then set the timer to start this macro at a certain time and then after how ever long of a delay you want after you reach 100% and then have it shut off or shut it off with the timer.

I have not tried it but in therory it should work.

iwmtv

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:26:18 AM »

maybe if you plug the lamp into a lamp module and set up a macro that would allow the lamp to come on to maybe 20% then delay for a short while then have it brighten to 25 or 30 then delay and then to 35 or 40 then delay and repeat this until you reach 100% it would sort of act as a dawn simulator. you could then set the timer to start this macro at a certain time and then after how ever long of a delay you want after you reach 100% and then have it shut off or shut it off with the timer.

I have not tried it but in therory it should work.

Yes, yes, this sounds good! I am completely new to X10 automation. Would you please tell me what I would need from the site.
Not sure I know how to program a macro, is there a guide as well? Will a computer have to be on all the time or just used to program the
macro? This is very helpful. I intend to use it for a relative suffering SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

paulnoel12

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »

if you us the cm15A, and buy the ahp software with the smart macro plugin and then a lamp module it should do what you want. There are packages on the x-10 web site that you can buy with everything you need. the instructions for building a macro are on the web site. IF i get a chance i will try it to insure it works and let you know but also if you look for the name puck in the forum and ask him he can probably let you know right away what the best way is to do it and what is the best to buy to do it.

iwmtv

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:13 PM »

thank you for the help. i'll look those up. also going to try and contact puck  :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:12 AM »

iwmtv: I know you mentioned that you want something that works over 15-30 minutes. But if 9 minutes would work for you, maybe check out the INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 Dimmer, this can be programmed for up to a 9 minute ramp rate. However, you do need a separate controller / programmer for this.

I'm not sure what the brightness resolution of the X10 dimmers are, but I'm thinking it's not high enough to simulate a smooth increase in intensity. It would probably be more of a noticeable jump every few minutes (based on your macro). As paulnoel12 stated, you would need software (I.E. ActiveHomePro) to control this.

Based on the all thats involved with setting up an X10 system and the possibly that the result would not be what you want, it may be cheaper & better to stick with the dedicated simulator like the one you showed me in a PM (Light Therapy Products: Dawn Simulator).

Of course, if you already have an X10 set-up and / or planning on one anyways, then give ActiveHomePro and a macro a try first.  ;)

iwmtv

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »

My thanks to you both, paulnoel and puck, for you help and advice. I think I will purchase the dedicated Pi Square Dawn Simulator for now.
I did come across this, it's a little old but it deals with X10 components.

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~jimmc/dawnsim.html

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Not only is it a little old, it uses the CM11A interface, which has problems on some XP systems with particular motherboards not recognizing .com ports properly.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.