Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling Two Seperate Lights from two seperate switches  (Read 4666 times)

dlongnecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling Two Seperate Lights from two seperate switches
« on: March 04, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »

I have a detached workshop with a porch light on it, and the switch is inside the workshop.  The side door of my house also has a porch light with its own light switch. 

So, two independent lights and switches.

Is there a X10 solution that I can use and replace the light switches on both porches such that if I turn on the shop porch light, it also turns on the house porch light, and if I turn off the light on my house porch light it also turns off the shop porch light?

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Controlling Two Seperate Lights from two seperate switches
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »

This is a little complicated. The simple answer is Yes...sort-of.
Because of the logic involved, besides replacing the two switches with X10 compatable switches, you would also need the "Active Home Pro" hardware and software. Wall switches from X10 do not send out their status changes, so you would have to use switches from Smarthome, etc which DO send out status changes when they are "flipped".

OR you could replace both switches with X10 wall switches and use X10 "Stick-A-Switch's" to actually control the lights.  In either case you still need the Active Home Pr for the logic.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »

Also.... you could replace both porch lights with the X10 floodlights. Set them to the same code, and leave the switches both on.

The floodlights can be configured (simple little panel on the bottom of the light) to come at night, or at night with motion. They can also turn other devices on and off (at dusk/dawn) and they can trigger other devices (including floodlights) to turn on with motion.

With both floodlights set to the same code...when you exit your house to your shop before dawn...both lights turn ON (shortly after they turn themselves OFF). At night when you return to the house they again turn ON...and then OFF later (time is adjustable). No transceiver or other equipment would be needed.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »

Also.... you could replace both porch lights with the X10 floodlights. Set them to the same code, and leave the switches both on.

...With both floodlights set to the same code...when you exit your house to your shop before dawn...both lights turn ON (shortly after they turn themselves OFF). At night when you return to the house they again turn ON...and then OFF later (time is adjustable). No transceiver or other equipment would be needed.

Dave_x10_L,

What would be the difference between this Dual X10 Floodlight setup that you described and a pair of 'plain-vanilla' motion-detector floodlights from Home Depot?  ???
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »

I have a detached workshop with a porch light on it, and the switch is inside the workshop.  The side door of my house also has a porch light with its own light switch...

...Is there a X10 solution that I can use and replace the light switches on both porches such that if I turn on the shop porch light, it also turns on the house porch light, and if I turn off the light on my house porch light it also turns off the shop porch light?

dlongnecker,

• Why would you want anything more than a pair of 'plain-vanilla' floodlights from Home Depot?

• Do you need both floodlights to remain on *AFTER* motion has ceased?

• Do you need both floodlights to turn ON and OFF in SYNC?

• When you exit the house and trip the house motion detector floodlight, will you be in range to trip the workshop motion detector floodlight also?
    When you exit the workshop and trip the workshop motion detector floodlight, will you be in range to trip the house motion detector floodlight also?
    (i.e. Will the installed floodlights face each other? With their motion detector coverage areas overlap?)

• Do you currently own any X10 devices?

• How much spare cash and time do you have? ;)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »

...Because of the logic involved, besides replacing the two switches with X10 compatable switches, you would also need the "Active Home Pro" hardware and software...

Aw gee! Don't go scaring him off right at the get go!  :o

...Wall switches from X10 do not send out their status changes, so you would have to use switches from Smarthome, etc which DO send out status changes when they are "flipped"...

How does a Smarthome switch 'Status Change' show up in the AHP Activity Monitor?

I still haven't found the ROUND TUIT for installing any of the AHP 'Add-Ons' that I bought last year, so, *WHICH* 'Add-On' can detect this 'Status Change'? Can any 'Add-On' POLL a PR511 Floodlight, AM14A 2-Way Appliance Module or LM14A 2-Way Lamp Module and use the result in a CONDITIONAL?

...OR you could replace both switches with X10 wall switches and use X10 "Stick-A-Switch's" to actually control the lights.  In either case you still need the Active Home Pr for the logic.

Naw! Instead of the CM15A/AHP, he could save a bunch of time, money and HAIR and get a HC60CRX/CM11A Activehome @ $10 to run a 'Simple' Macro. ;)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »

Except the OP may be running WindowsXP, so Active Home and the CM11A may not work due to the possible com port problems that affect some systems.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dlongnecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:02:32 AM »

I do have X-10 switches installed.  I also have the Active Home Pro software installed and operational in the house (having some range problems the the keyfob from the driveway, but I am researching that seperately).  Its nice to sit in my easy chair and turn off the front lights!

Anyhow.  I want more than motion lights.  My dog kennel is outside my workshop, and I don't want the lights going on and off when he walks around.  I really only want them on when I am in the shop, taking the garbage out, or other various times....the need is very random.  I like the stick-a-switch option, but I there is no way the switch could send its RF signal from the shop to the RF reciever plugged into my PC....its a LONG way away.

I thought it would be as simple as setting both switches to the same code and when I pushed the button it would say change status on C-4 and send that signal along the wires....but then each would need to know the status of the other.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:14:33 AM »

I do have X-10 switches installed.  I also have the Active Home Pro software installed and operational in the house...

WOW! Now that's quite a bit different from a Newbie posting:

...Is there a X10 solution...

:)

...(having some range problems the the keyfob from the driveway, but I am researching that seperately)...

That's an easy one, with various solutions:

• Cut off the tip of the CM15A's antenna and extend it another ΒΌ wavelength - SEARCH for Dave_X10_L's posts; he did it recently and posted PICTURES!

• Install a 3rd party antenna (WGL-800???) - SEARCH for JimC's posts; IIRC, he did it last year. (BTW, I'm not positive about the Make & Model - I'll look it up and edit if necessary)

• Install a RR501 Transceiver in your attic - I'm not sure, but dave w is the first name that comes to mind. Whoever did it, though, it's not complicated - Plug-N-Go.

...Anyhow.  I want more than motion lights.  My dog kennel is outside my workshop, and I don't want the lights going on and off when he walks around.  I really only want them on when I am in the shop, taking the garbage out, or other various times....the need is very random...

Here's an idea that I used for my 2nd PR511 Floodlight on the backyard deck (I was a Green Newbie when I installed my FIRST HeathKit SL-XXX Floodlight over the garage for the front driveway and just followed the directions. :o ):

Separate the LAMPS from the RELAY:

• The LAMPS are NOT wired to the PR511; they are wired to a WS12A wallswitch.

• The PR511 is wired to a non X10 wallswitch.

• One of the four 'Motion Detected' Slide Switch addresses on the PR511 control the WS12A.

• When we're out on the deck and want the lights to STAY ON, we SHUT OFF the PR511 wallswitch and control the floodlights with the WS12A wallswitch.

• You could replace my PR511 wallswitch with an in-line Appliance Module (XXXX) or Wallswitch With Relay Not Triac (YYYY). When you want the lights controlled by the Motion Detector, turn the AM ON. When it's just the dog running around, turn the AM OFF.

...I like the stick-a-switch option, but I there is no way the switch could send its RF signal from the shop to the RF reciever plugged into my PC....its a LONG way away.

We already solved that problem with the three choices above.  8)

...I thought it would be as simple as setting both switches to the same code and when I pushed the button it would say change status on C-4 and send that signal along the wires....but then each would need to know the status of the other.

Everything I have is X10, except for some ACT Filters and an ACT Coupler, so I'm interested in learning how dave w's Smarthome Switches would work with AHP.  Keep in mind, though, once you stray from the X10 SALES, the prices rise DRAMATICALLY. :(

Have you MAPPED out your circuits yet?

If not, for a solid foundation of X10 Operation, spend some time reading:

Then:
MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT - be sure to read the EXCELLENT articles written by JeffVolp and Puck

Finally, with your CIRCUIT MAP and SIGNAL METER in hand, finish up with:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:34:28 AM by JeffVolp »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:33:47 PM »

...Wall switches from X10 do not send out their status changes, so you would have to use switches from Smarthome, etc which DO send out status changes when they are "flipped"...

How does a Smarthome switch 'Status Change' show up in the AHP Activity Monitor?

Same as a 2-way module:

"[Switch address] ON" or "[Switch address] OFF"

Perhaps I should have used the term "state" change.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 05:44:45 PM »

Dave_x10_L,

What would be the difference between this Dual X10 Floodlight setup that you described and a pair of 'plain-vanilla' motion-detector floodlights from Home Depot?  ???

The beauty of the X10 floodlights are they can turn each other ON (via X10 line signals). So you can light a path l o n g e r than a motion detectors normal range. That means you walk towards a lighted area, not just with light to your back.

But with a dog in the area..... motion sensors aren't always a good choice.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.