Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What in God's name I am not getting right?  (Read 14774 times)

OttawaPilot

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What in God's name I am not getting right?
« on: March 18, 2007, 05:59:30 PM »

I am trying to set up a simple macro to turn on one x10 controlled lamp module (LM465), conditional to another x10 controlled light being on. Like everyone else puzzled by how these Smart Macros work, I can trigger it manually using the "Run Macro" button, but haven't been able to make it work otherwise. I am using a CM15A.

I seem to be missing that "ahaa" moment. Ultimately I want to use an X10 Slimline Wireless Remote Switch 3+Dim [X10 SS13A] (that I will carry around with me) to turn on all my house lights as I walk in the house (by turning on one light since the wireless remote can only control 3 at a time), but as I said i can't make my simple test set up work.

Let's say I want light A2 to turn on IF A1 is on or turned on (I'll settle for either condition to trigger it). This is so simple I am hoping someone can step by step guide me through it. YES I have read a ton of posts on the subject and i am just not getting why my little experiment doesn't work. Thanks in advance (for the step by step).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: What in God's name I am not getting right?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »

I am NOT an APH expert (by any means) but have had a similar problem.

I had checked the boxes to "save to interface", I set the interface to "transceive the housecode(s)" I was using... checked and doubled checked. Cleared and recleared the interface... removed and reinstalled the batteries.... also uplugging BOTH the power and the USB cord to make SURE the the interface was clear. Made sure my modules were in the same "room" and that my "macro was in the same room". Everything I read about here at the forum.

What I had forgot to do..... was SAVE the program changes. So I kept reloading the old program... that didn't have my new options. DUH.

P.S.  Ya know... with AHP... even an OFF signal can trigger an ON action.... or a mcaro. So maybe all you need to carry around... is a two button keychain remote.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

OttawaPilot

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »

Thanks for your reply...

I HAVE saved my settings to the CM15A.

I am using the wireless remote because I have one and it's not being used for anything else.

The whole point is I would like to get just ANY macro to work and then progress to more complex setups. I feel like a bit of an idiot at the moment.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »

OttawaPilot
Make sure you have, in your Hardware Configuration Interface, set to Auto for the Transceived House Code(s).  Or you can select Specific and then select the appropriate House Code (it would be A in your example).  Hope this helps.

OttawaPilot

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »

thank you, but yes i have done that also :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:37:32 PM »

Thanks for your reply...

I HAVE saved my settings to the CM15A.

No..... not to the CM15A.... saved to the file. You have an AHX file that needs to be saved also. I click file...save as... then I use the curent date (18mar07), if I save again the same day, I call it 18mar07b. Thats the file you will be uploading to the CM15A. If you haven't saved the changes....you can't upload them to the CM15.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:42:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »

I am trying to set up a simple macro to turn on one x10 controlled lamp module (LM465), conditional to another x10 controlled light being on.

In your hardware configuration, select the house code of your lights to be the Monitored HouseCode. Then, in Smart Macros, you can use the state of the lights on the monitored house code as conditions.

If you are using the remote to trigger macros and not controlling the lights directly, then it should be programmed for a different house code. If this is the case, then the remotes house code does not require being transceived.

[TTA Edit: Added LINK to W-i-P Glossary.]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:18:57 PM by TakeTheActive »

OttawaPilot

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »

Thanks Dave_x10_L  and "Puck", I'll review what I am doing tomorrow when I can have a "fresh" look at it.

You know wnen I went to Mech. Eng. in first year university one of my profs said...
"When ALL else fails, plug it in."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »

Back to the basics...

Is AHP receiving a signal from your Wireless Remote Switch? i.e. Does the monitor show the signal is being received?
AHP is not known for it's long range reception of RF signals. Test the remote near the CM15A if you haven't already.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

OttawaPilot

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »

That's affirmative (steven r) , it IS receiving the signal and I tried EVERY suggestion that came before yours and it still doesn't work.

It is puzzeling; I mean I used to program in assembler language way back when. This shouldn't be rocket science for me.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »

OttawaPilot   In your Macro have you checked "Store In Interface" or "Run From PC?"  Is the CM15A connected to your PC?  Is the PC on?  Sorry about these obvious questions, but I need to know your setup.  I duplicated what you are trying to do (turn on A2 if A1 is on) in my environment ... and it works fine. 

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »

...This shouldn't be rocket science for me.
X10 has quirks that would drive a rocket scientist crazy.
I have my doubts if it would make a difference in your situation but try creating a dummy module with the same code as your macro.
(A dummy module is needed when setting up a macro to call another macro.)
Again this shouldn't be needed in your case but try starting your macro with a 1 or 2 second delay.
(Delays appear to work like "fairy dust" in solving some problems. Mostly for solving problems in macros with dim commands.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:23:05 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

OttawaPilot

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

For "Don N's" suggestions...

>In your Macro have you checked "Store In Interface" or "Run From PC?"
I tried both ways.

>Is the CM15A connected to your PC?
Yes

>Is the PC on?
Well for "Run from PC" I did have it on; for "Sore in interface" I still had it on but I assume it would not be necessary IF I ever did get it to work. Ultimately the macro should work if I upload the configuration to the CM15A no?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »

OttawaPilot: Are you able to post a screen capture of your macro and it's conditions? If not, can you post the text version of it?

Since you tried the posted suggestions, there has to be something that is keeping it from triggering. Posting the macro may show something that we just are not thinking about now.

P.S. I deleted your repeat post. I checked it word for word and I didn't see any difference. ;)

OttawaPilot

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »

Yes I accidently double posted. I am at the point where I am willing to let someone remotely take over my machine to poke around to see what is wrong.

Actually there is something fishy. In my "Hardware Configuration" screen it has MHC set at "A" and yet on the Status Report it has all "Off" for all 16 MH codes, "A" is off, shouldn't it be "On"?

Also for "Memory Usage" still in the "Hardware Configuration" screen it says 1.41% when I know I cleared it out using the "Clear Interface" command and then reuploading my present configuration without any macros in it. Why would it have a non-zero value?

Rather than trying to screen capture everything like I said, if anyone wants to remote control my machine I am willing to let them in to see what is going on.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.