Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera..Outdoor plug in  (Read 5554 times)

bam320

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Camera..Outdoor plug in
« on: July 05, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »

Anybody know of a way to be able to plug the cameras (b/w always on) into an outdoor outlet? I have several recessed outlets outside & it would make it a ton easier to be able to plug into those. They are very well hidden under a whole house wrap around deck. The instructions say to plug in only indoors and I have very little attic space

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Camera..Outdoor plug in
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:43:40 PM »

Anybody know of a way to be able to plug the cameras (b/w always on) into an outdoor outlet? I have several recessed outlets outside & it would make it a ton easier to be able to plug into those. They are very well hidden under a whole house wrap around deck. The instructions say to plug in only indoors and I have very little attic space

It's primarily a matter of keeping the unit dry, and for modules with electronics, of not exposing them to extreme temperatures.

Home Depot sells an enclosure brand named "Code Keeper", which is a quite deep die-cast receptacle cover with usually sufficient room for a small wall-wart type power supply.   Lowe's sells a different brand of a similar cover.  However if there's no chance of water seeping down the wall with the receptacle during a driving rainstorm you may not need one.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »

I have a color wireless cam that I use in a birdhouse outside, but not constantly. I like having the camera available to be placed in new locations.

I protect the power supply by putting it in a plastic resealable coffee container. I run an extention cord to the coffee container.

However.... the cameras that "live" outside 24/7. I drilled small holes (actually under my deck) and feed the little phone-like wires from the outside, into my basement. Some of the wires I even buried. Burying the wires was simply splitting the soil with a spade, then poking the wire in a few inches with a board.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:28:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bam320

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »

Well, I want to thank you both for a couple of good ideas here. I will report back with what i end up doing.

I do need to say that I am somewhat surprised that X10 has not addressed this issue. I would have thought they would always look for ways to make the installation easier. I also wished they would come up with their version of a smoke alarm, CO2 detector & garage door opener that can be bought as part of the X10 package
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:11:22 AM by bam320 »

johnfarrey

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »

It's primarily a matter of keeping the unit dry, and for modules with electronics, of not exposing them to extreme temperatures.

Home Depot sells an enclosure brand named "Code Keeper", which is a quite deep die-cast receptacle cover with usually sufficient room for a small wall-wart type power supply.   Lowe's sells a different brand of a similar cover.  However if there's no chance of water seeping down the wall with the receptacle during a driving rainstorm you may not need one.

Menard's sells a clear plastic box that will fasten onto an out door electrical. box. The cover is large enough to plug in your power supply  and have room for excess wire and connectors.

[Edited by CS to separate quoted from new text]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 11:13:03 PM by Charles Sullivan »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.