Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)  (Read 328185 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »

...I purchased Walmart's least costly The Safety 1st Crystal Clear "baby monitor." ...
Just a reminder for anyone that tries this...
Make sure that the monitor you choose doesn't use 2.4 GHz or your likely to create new problems for yourself.

Your right steven r.

I chose the 49Mhz, and luckily it was also the cheapest. I would also avoid the antenna-less units, as some use the powerline to transmit the FM signal.

I should have mentioned that I had tried antenna-less intercoms 1st with poor results. My X10 apparently interfered with (or absorbed) the intercom transmittion leaving me with no signal. And pressing the [intercom] call button caused some (X-10) lights to flicker.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:18:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2007, 05:16:38 AM »

;D  Happy New Year!   ;D
Bill's X10 Voice Commander (aka BXVC) Version 0.50 is now available for download.
For information on What's New (basicly a bug fix  :o ), Download Page LINKs and more, please visit:

Thanks again to everyone who has used and contributed to the development of BXVC!   ;D
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!   :D . . . . . . . . . . (Hidden camera photo of Bill working feverously in his shop! ;) )
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »

How do you use BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander)?

I find the most interesting ideas come from the end-user (that's you!) and I hope some of you will share what you have done (and how) with BXVC.

I have already heard some really neat ideas and some I didn't even realize BXVC would do... AND I WROTE IT!!    :o

So, please join in at The Forums at WGJOHNS.COM and tell us about the creative ways you use BXVC in the thread: How do you use BXVC?

Thanks in advance for sharing your creative ways of using BXVC with me and your fellow users!    :D

And the first across the finish line is...  Dave_X10_L !!!   Thanks for the write-up Dave!   ;D
  :D    Who will come in second?    :D 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:00:10 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2007, 01:50:27 AM »

*** BREAKING NEWS! ***

Thanks to a donation from GLT (having the distinction of being not only the first, but so far the only donation), I have just ordered a USB-UIRT IR transceiver to try out and attempt to add support for.

Translation... Hopefully very soon BXVC will be able to control your TV, VCR, etc. that you now control with an IR remote!   ;D  Edit 07/02/2007: So far, I have been unable to translate the code needed to control the USB-UIRT into a ActiveX control form to make it compatible with BXVC.  For this and other reasons I have translated BXVC into Visual BASIC as "BVC" and most future enhancements will only be made available in BVC.

The need to push this to the top of my to-do list became all the more obvious upon reading the thread: Yes, I'm new, just my story .

To coin a phrase; "soapbox mode on"...

This also brings to light that of all of the Home Automation bulletin board sites, this is one of the only ones that doesn't have a dedicated section relating to helping people with physical disabilities understand and acquire technology that would greatly improve their quality of life by allowing them to do the "simple things" that most of us take for granted.

To most of us, Home Automation is just a convenience, but, to the physically disabled, it is frequently a necessity!

So... once I get the IR working, enjoy!  However, as you do so, remember Hollon67's post is what brought it to the top of my to-do list, and even then I wouldn't have been able to afford what I needed to make it happen without GLT's generosity.

In the mean-time... how about we pester X10 for that dedicated section for helping the physically disabled?

With the assumption that all of the "big wheels" of X10 are kept abreast of the goings-on in these forums (as we have been led to believe)...  How about some BANDIT style deals (for equipment and software that is up-to-date enough to actually be useful) for people with physical disabilities?  You choose the criteria for qualifying of course.  Just thinking that, as someone suggested to me a while back, you could really use the PR!

If anyone still needs a reason to help out in whatever way they can, just remember "time is the great equalizer" and we will all need this stuff someday!

... Soapbox mode off.

Thanks for listening.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:27:56 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »

AN ASIDE:

My CM15A doesn't seem to like being plugged
in to a USB 2.0 port.

Anyone else notice this problem?

-Bill- (of BXVC)

An update to the USB2 problem discused here:  I recently did some USB device relocation and moved the CM15 to a USB2 port.  AHP didn't throw the "can't find the interface" hissy fit.  It's been fine.  I suspect X10 fixed that in one of the updates between 3.201 and 3.204.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:32 PM »

AN ASIDE:

My CM15A doesn't seem to like being plugged
in to a USB 2.0 port.

Anyone else notice this problem?

-Bill- (of BXVC)

An update to the USB2 problem discused here:  I recently did some USB device relocation and moved the CM15 to a USB2 port.  AHP didn't throw the "can't find the interface" hissy fit.  It's been fine.  I suspect X10 fixed that in one of the updates between 3.201 and 3.204.

Thanks for the update Dan! :)
Unfortunately (fortunately?) my system has been working so well for so long that I'm scared to change anything unless I have to, especially while I'm working on a difficult software project.  Anyone else feeling brave?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:28:18 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

HA Dave

« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »

Hey Dave,

you should really get some BETTER voices! ..............You WON'T be disappointed!

GLT

Your right (and you haven't seered us wrong yet) I've already thinking about that.

My setup is still VERY MUCH a work in progress. I started this project during the holidays, and events have delayed me. But things seem to be moving along smoothly now. The "passive" sound system (computer speakers turned up LOUD) worked well for chimes and beeps, but unsatisfactory for voices. I will be working on the sound distribution this weekend. I remember reading that you use the X10 sound power, and may order that (again.... you haven't seered us wrong yet). But I want to run a test as I am using a lot of the 2.4 bandwidth now.

Text aloud or a similar product is also something I am thinking about. But for now...... I am creating macros .... putting remotes out of sight, and learning how to let the house run itself.

P.S. Bill : While reading a little on USB-UIRT seems people found it difficult to learn some remotes to it, but were really happy w/ it overall - "rock solid". Progress update?

Good idea! how about an update Bill.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »

*** IR Control Update! ***
Where to begin?

The USB-UIRT is a good piece of equipment, but that is all it is... a device and a driver (imagine buying a CM15A with the SDK and no AHP).  Worse, the driver is a common .dll file and not an ActiveX control or COM component (like comes with the AHP SDK).   :(

The bad news:
   Unless I (or more likely someone else at this point) can create a scripting compatable interface (or wrapper) for the USB-UIRT's .dll file, it is highly unlikely that BXVC (written in JScript) will ever support the USB-UIRT.  :(

The good news:
   My initial experiments with talking to the USB-UIRT using Visual BASIC 2005 Express Edition are extremely promising.  I have in fact succeeded in having it learn an IR remote code and then transmit it, successfully controlling my TV!

The only big headache at the moment is that the USB-UIRT driver performs all of its "magic" while running on a background thread.  This is good because it doesn't keep the main program from responding while the USB-UIRT "does it's thing".  The headache comes in when trying to receive information from the USB-UIRT driver and display it on a Visual BASIC form.  The Visual BASIC form is running in its own thread and transferring information between the two threads is (shall we say) difficult in the extreme?  I think I have almost worked it out, however, I thought that two or three weeks ago too.  :(

You may say; "Why is that good news?  You still can't talk to the USB-UIRT in the JScript language that BXVC is written in!  What good is that?"

The REALLY GOOD news:
   Due to the many limitations of JScript that I have encountered, I have already re-written BXVC in Visual BASIC 2005 Express Edition!  The Visual BASIC version, dubbed "BVC" or "Bill's Voice Commander" (as I intend it to support more than just X10 control), is fully functional and was (until the latest release of BXVC) capable of doing everything BXVC does.  It should be fairly easy for me to translate the new capabilities of the latest BXVC release into BVC.  As a matter of fact, some new features of BXVC were actually translated back from BVC (like finding and choosing a Face Graphic from a picture).  Plus, IMHO the user interface is much more "professional" with drop-down menus, tabs that group configuration settings and such into logical groups, browsing for audio files instead of having to type them in by hand, etc.   8)   :D  Visual BASIC also gives much more access to Windows internals than JScript does, which will make possible many more advanced features that I have been unable to add due to JScript's limitations!

More bad news:
   The Visual BASIC version may not work on Windows 98 due to the requirements of the installer generated by Visual BASIC 2005.  I will have to test this and let you know.

At the risk of sounding selfish and / or greedy, I think it qualifies as bad news that sales of X10 stuff through my web site over the last year have barely earned me enough to pay for the web site, and that for all the rave reviews of BXVC by users, the only donation toward further development to-date has been the one GLT made!   ???

I really don't expect or intend people to pay HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS (as some similar software costs), but really guys -n- gals, are you saying this is worth nothing to you?  I suppose I could put out a hobbled "trial version" and require a specific payment for a "full version" (again like others do), but I (naively?) hope that people that find the program useful will be willing to support it rather than see it "dry up" because I have to devote my time to my "day job" so that the bills get paid.  If there is a reason you haven't donated (like you or your bank are "allergic" to PayPal) please email me and let me know.  I have considered renting a PO Box for people that can't or don't want to trust PayPal, but that is just an added monthly expense if no one is interested in sending a check.

That's the update folks!

Now back to arguing with the IR driver.   :'(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:20:10 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

HA Dave

« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2007, 11:47:57 PM »

Hey that pay-pal isn't at all like I thought it would be! I didn't even bother with getting a pay-pal account. It was just like making a regular secure Internet purchase.

I just clicked the donations link at your Web Site, and typed in the card info.

Thanks for the software Bill!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2007, 12:39:25 AM »

Hey that pay-pal isn't at all like I thought it would be! I didn't even bother with getting a pay-pal account. It was just like making a regular secure Internet purchase.

I just clicked the donations link at your Web Site, and typed in the card info.

Thanks for the software Bill!

Thank you, thank you and thank you Dave!
First, for all of the emotional support!  With every post, email and IM reminding me that my efforts ARE appreciated.   ;D

Second, for pointing out something that I thought was obvious and apparently isn't.  You don't have to sign up for a PayPal account to use the donation link on my site.  The link takes you to a web-page on PayPal's system that will allow you to donate from a PayPal account, or donate by filling in credit card information like any other online purchase.  As I stated on my site, this is all processed securely by PayPal.  I have no access to your credit card information.  I do get to see the email address you fill in (which I probably already have since many of you email me), the name you fill in (no one else's business so I won't tell and again if you have emailed me I probably already know), and the amount you have sent.

Third, for your donation, which (since you asked) was plenty generous and greatly appreciated!   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:30 AM »

Bill,

Tuiceman has an email activation system for payment - maybe ask it how well it works. I was hoping mostly for cheap IR to add to cheap VR - making an inexpensive assisted living system possible. IR is probably the key to the whole picture (I see Tuiceman adding VR to the dialer program), so maybe IR could be part of BVC's "plus" package.

Be careful of licensing though, I mean X-10 apparently has few programmers left and the next "must have" plugins would surely be VR and IR control. How can you sell to (or work for) them when you have already licensed your product to users? Just a wild idea.

GLT

Good points all!

It would be wonderful if X10 would pick up BXVC or BVC as an "official" plug-in, although, I hate to lose creative control and have X10 decide what features I can and can't add and at what price.  For instance, would "Custom Commands" have been another $50 module like "Smart MACROs"?  (shiver)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2007, 03:05:14 AM »

In the interest of fairness, I feel I should state that there are at least a couple of you who have offered to make donations who can't use PayPal for various reasons.  I understand, for instance, that Bank of America cards aren't allowed by PayPal (or maybe Bank of America has an issue with PayPal).  I couldn't even use my Bank of America card to "validate" my PayPal account or make a test donation to see if the donation link worked!

I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to give out my physical address if I can help it.  There are scare stories all of the time about stalking, identity-theft, etc.  In that "perfect world" I keep talking about, this wouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately, in the "real world" we are always hearing; "He was such a nice man... he always helped me carry in the groceries and walked my dog when I was on vacation... I just can't believe he... (fill in your horror here)".

I mean, really, would you post your physical address here (or anywhere publicly accessable on the internet)?
Is it in your profile?  How many people you "know" here have you given it to?

I'm guessing the answers are "No", "No" and either "None" or "One or two".

Going with the addage "Trust everyone, but always cut the cards."  I will get a PO Box.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:07:39 AM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »

In the interest of fairness, I feel I should state that there are at least a couple of you who have offered to make donations who can't use PayPal for various reasons.  I understand, for instance, that Bank of America cards aren't allowed by PayPal (or maybe Bank of America has an issue with PayPal).  I couldn't even use my Bank of America card to "validate" my PayPal account or make a test donation to see if the donation link worked!

For what it's worth, I've used my Bank of America card with PayPal for years. Maybe the problem is a new one.

I don't use Bill's program mostly just because that's not the type of interface I'm currently interested in using for X10. I do feel it's an excellent program and I actively watch this forum discussion. For what the program does, its well worth a donation if you use it. I'd feel guilty, if I used it and didn't make a donation. e.g. How many programs have you paid for that give you level of support that Bill has given this program? Give Bill a break and at least make a donation so he can take his wife out for dinner instead of having her believe he's married to the computer. It's embarrassing to think he actually had to make a plea for donations.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »

I know I am NOT the first person to open a garage door with X10. Heck, I don't even think I am the first to do it using BXVC!

What I did do was setup the unversal module in a macro (no 1st there ether). So that if the X10 camera in the garage isn't ON, the door won't open. I thought that was a nice little safety feature.

Now... once I get Tuicemens AlertDialer added in my setup, I will be able to "voice command" a phone call for help, and open the door, to let help in. Meanwhile, I will just use it to open the garage door for my stepdaughter, when she pulls in the driveway.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »

I know I am NOT the first person to open a garage door with X10....
...What I did do was setup the universal module in a macro (no 1st there ether). So that if the X10 camera in the garage isn't ON, the door won't open. I thought that was a nice little safety feature.
That's a clever idea. I've never felt like I could trust the security of opening my garage door with X10. I like your idea, however.
I do use X10 to close my door but have it wired so it only will close the door and not open it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.