Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What Did You Think of This Original X10 Home Automation Idea?

GREAT IDEA! Thanks for sharing it. :)
- 31 (93.9%)
**DON'T CHOOSE THIS!** (Poll is only for counting POSITIVES.)
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DS7000 (PS561) & DS10A Used As A Fire Detector Alarm System !  (Read 131696 times)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: DS7000 (PS561) & DS10A Used As A Fire Detector Alarm System !
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:44:42 PM »

You get a Helpful (and a Great Idea! Vote) from me for taking the time to write this novel idea up James S.

Thank you! :)

I'll second that!

Make that 3!

It's nice to read posts about different ways that others are using some basic modules. I like the DS10A because it is so easy to interface. And now with AHP and OnAlert, it has become much more versatile.

Thanks for sharing this.

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »

I would be interested in knowing what results others are having that have tried my DS7000 modification. I would also be interested in variations and/or changes that anyone has tried and the results they are achieving. I've always believed that any project can be improved and that there is always a better mouse trap waiting to be built. My thanks to those that took the time to leave positive replies on this modification.  ;D James S.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 05:05:50 PM »

I also did your modification with good results.  The test has always been successful and no false warnings.  Have you done a mod to a CO detector ?  That would be neat also.........

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »

Excellent Idea!
But as steven r pointed out
Quote from: steven r
i.e. When it goes off do you grab the gun or the hose?
When your home and  a DS7000 goes off can you distinguish which one is tripped! ???
I realize the smoke detector should be sounding as well but can you hear it over the DS700?  ???
Quote from: James S
I would also be interested in variations and/or changes that anyone has tried and the results they are achieving. I've always believed that any project can be improved and that there is always a better mouse trap waiting to be built. My thanks to those that took the time to leave positive replies on this modification.   James S.
Two DS7000s  ???  I don't think are really needed!
A Variation: One DS7000
 You could have a standard message like:
 " An Alarm condition has occurred at (resident name), Press zero to silence the alarm and listen in"
Listening in you'd hear the smoke detector/s if a fire no detector if it was a break in! ;)
Or if you had OnAlert you could have a sound file playing for each sensor that trips giving you even more information as to exactly what caused the alarm condition! ;)(provided you could hear your PC, but thats a simple fix)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:43:59 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »

Or if you had OnAlert you could have a sound file playing for each sensor that trips giving you even more information as to exactly what caused the alarm condition! ;)(provided you could hear your PC, but thats a simple fix)

I use OnAlerts ability (along with AHP / MyHouse) to send my cell phone an email of what sensor got triggered... including my Smoke & CO Detectors. The one nice thing about using AHP with it as well is the extras you can do:

• If it's a CO Alarm: Turn ON all house fans and get air flowing through the house as much as possible, especially bathroom exhaust fans to try and remove as much as possible. I figure that if we were affixiated while asleep, this may be our only hope.

• If it's a Smoke Alarm: Turn OFF all fans.. don't want to fuel or help spread the fire.

Of course as steven r, stated... a monitored system is the best choice; but these additional systems are value added (not to mention fun!).

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 02:47:32 AM »

JMac: I haven't tried to modify a CO detector. If you are successful at the CO mod,  I would be interested in the results you have. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all good points to consider for what each individual wants from their alarm system.  As far as grabbing a hose or a gun, I have each DS7000 turn on different lights so as to know if its a fire alarm or a break in alarm. When away from home, each DS7000 has its own separate message recorded, one has message fire alarm activated, the other message is break in alarm activated. When at home I'm also able to tell the difference between the two DS7000 systems as they are located in difference locations and there is a slight difference in how each DS7000 sounds. In addition, I have a X10 siren (often referred to as the noisy cricket) activated by the break in DS7000, but not on the fire alarm DS7000.
I prefer to use two DS7000, one for security/break in and a separate one for fire/smoke alarm. I had previously mention that I also have a fire/smoke detector in the garage that could not be heard from inside the house.  While at home this DS7000 fire/smoke mod now allows me to know if that detector is activated. If DS7000 is not armed, it will chime. If DS7000 is armed, if will alarm and turn on light for that detector on the DS7000 console. When I'm away from home and should this DS7000 fire/smoke alarm be activated, it will call the pre-programed phone numbers. If I select to listen in on noise inside home, I can not hear if the garage fire/smoke detector has activated. So far this has not happen. If I ever do get a fire alarm when I'm away from home and I can't hear any noise while listening in on the DS7000, then I will call my neighbors until I reach one that can do a visual check on my home. In the unlikely event I could nor reach a neighbor , then I would request the local police to check on it. They (police) are really good on doing things like that here in north Florida.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 01:55:07 AM by James S. »

* Cor *

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »

James S Thanks for the Idea been thinking of how to interface the smokes in the house. Being a newbie I will print it and use it in the future. Still thinking of  putting it into AH-Pro with the phone alert and BVC program.
Just got to go a little at a time due to money and time limitations. I think most have the same problem. Thanks again for the Idea you get a helpful. :)
Cory

misterbeefy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »

Great post! Indeed worthy of a helpful :)
I couldn't help but think while reading the responses, particularly about how to tell the difference between smoke and a burglary, that this would be a perfect candidate for PCCompanion or BVC! You could create a batch file to play a certain sound clip for each type of event, or have a macro fire that would have BVC TELL you what's going on.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the post! #:)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »

I couldn't help but think while reading the responses, particularly about how to tell the difference between smoke and a burglary, that this would be a perfect candidate for PCCompanion or BVC!

I used a DS10A with OnAlert and BVC when I created my Automated Chair. Those DS10A sensors mixed with OnAlert can detect almost anything: smoke alarm, water sensor, sump pump, mailbox, recliner, maybe even "locked drawer opening (?)".

Bill added a feature in the latest version of BVC that detects the "all lights on all units off" of the DS7000. I use that to make my Kate (the kate 16 bit voice) holler when the alarm is sounded.

You (at least theoretically) can use OnAlert [and AHP] to send your cell phone a different "specialized" email message for each DS10A in use. As well as have BVC announce a specific message for each sensor.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

misterbeefy

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »

I used a DS10A with OnAlert and BVC when I created my Automated Chair.

Leave it to you Dave, to have an automated chair!!!! LOL! I LOVE IT MAN! I had a similar idea for BVC with the timers, but man, I LOVE the way you incorporated the recliner being open! I hadn't thought of that and it's AWESOME!  >!

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

Leave it to you Dave, to have an automated chair...

I can't take the credit. The concept was from steven r... the idea came up when joking around in the Home Automation Chat Room. Being retired... it was merely my job to get on YouTube.

But it does demonstrate just how useful those DS10A's can be!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

...I can't take the credit. The concept was from steven r...
Maybe I should think of some more odd applications for you to try.  ;D
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

Maybe I should think of some more odd applications for you to try.  ;D

ODD? Whats odd about a chair?

tennisguy9999

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »

this was a great idea. i have implemented it for my home and i am very satisfied with the result.

Thanks for the great write up and recommendation
Lisle #:)

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

you could also just use a Fire or CO relay module isntead of going through all the effort of hacking a device.  You could have to come up your your own powersupply, which could be shared with the DS10 as well as a functional case, but it might be an easier and more direct approach.  A quick search comes up several different vendors that sell such modules.  Here is the first link i came across.

http://www.detectorsandalarms.com/relay-modules.aspx
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.