Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What Did You Think of This Original X10 Home Automation Idea?

GREAT IDEA! Thanks for sharing it. :)
- 31 (93.9%)
**DON'T CHOOSE THIS!** (Poll is only for counting POSITIVES.)
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DS7000 (PS561) & DS10A Used As A Fire Detector Alarm System !  (Read 131692 times)

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10

The DS7000 has allowed me to use its many features to create a monitored home fire alarm system without having to pay monthly fees! This is how I did it.

I have smoke detectors that triggers a DS7000 (PS561) when smoke detected. I used a First Alert Smoke Detectors Model SA304 with internal light (available at Wal-Mart $15.00). I soldered two wires to the coil of a 5 vdc relay (relay available at Radio Shack $4.50) and soldered the other wire ends to the light wires on smoke detector. I was able to solder the wires from the relay coil to the smoke detector light leads by using a small flat screwdriver to slightly pry wires away from plastic divider and keep the smoke detector light operational. The smoke detector light should try to be saved as this also provides emergency lighting in event of fire. An X10 DS10A door/window sensor was then wired to the normally closed contacts of relay - I removed and discarded the magnetic switch from door/window sensor.

When t he smoke detector senses smoke and turns on it's light, it also opens the relay contacts and the X10 door/window sensor then triggers the DS7000. If DS7000 is not armed, it will chime , if DS7000 is armed, it will alarm and call cell phone numbers I've pre- programmed.

When the DS7000 calls me with an alert, I can trigger the DS7000 so that I can listen in on home with the DS7000 built-in microphone! Although I have not had any false alarms (knock on wood), this could be very helpful in determining if it could be a false alarm or a real alert. In which case I have neighbors that have said they will check my home for me if I'm not at home when notified of an alarm. The DS7000 can be programed with up to four phone numbers and will cycle through these numbers until it gets and answer. The DS7000 can also determined if it reached an answer machine and go to the next pre-programed phone number and call it. This is helpful if I lose cell phone signal connection, if my cell is tu rned off in a doctor's office, while attending religious services, or in a movie theater!! I always get permission first before adding someones phone number to the DS7000 call list.

I have one DS7000 that I use for security and another that I use for a fire alarm. Each has separate messages recorded - one for break in, one for fire. 

The DS7000 and the door/window sensor combination can be used for almost any in- home or away from home alert system that you can come up with, such as water level. I'm currently working on a third DS7000 system to use for a high and low temperature alert system. Great for a vacation home.

Should anyone like this mod and consider doing it, should be aware that the mod will most likely void the smoke detector warranty. You may be able to use clips on the connectors instead of soldering. I did this mod so that my DS7000 would call me in event of fire, overriding concerns about the smoke detector warranty. Anyone that rem embers the Florida fires a few years back and have pets can understand wanting to know what is going on in there home while away. In addition, I wanted to replace a smoke detector in my garage that could not be heard inside home. This mod also solved that problem. I now have four smoke detectors modified and reporting their status to the DS7000.

Some electrical knowledge was required to perform this modification, for instance, be able to solder and to read diagram on back of relay package for correct pins to use. 

This system has been operating successfully for over two years now with the only maintenance being the annual battery change.

I am not on here that often, so I may not respond to questions for some time.....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:12:56 AM by James S. »

Tikka

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: DS7000 incorporating Smoke/Fire Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 08:06:47 AM »

Very interesting to read about your conversion !!
Does X-10 sell the Magnetic switches of the Door/Window sensors separately. I need to connect 3 to 4 switches to one sensor to limit the number of zones on the DS-7000.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »

I have smoke detectors that triggers a DS7000 when smoke/fire detected....
Does the DS7000 system have a way to distinguish the difference between a fire and a break in? i.e. When it goes off do you grab the gun or the hose?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

AlarmSafe

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:29:51 AM »

Hey James,
I would like to do this, can you send me a How to video? Please contact me soon, you can also send me an e-mail. ;D

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »

I have smoke detectors that triggers a DS7000 when smoke/fire detected....
Does the DS7000 system have a way to distinguish the difference between a fire and a break in?

No. That's probably why:

I have one DS7000 that I use only for security and another that I use for a fire alarm. Each has separate messages recorded, one for break in, one for fire. 

;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:27:03 AM »

Does X-10 sell the Magnetic switches of the Door/Window sensors separately.

Standard item - try RadioShack or an online electronics site or a local alarm shop...

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

Hey James,
I would like to do this, can you send me a How to video? Please contact me soon, you can also send me an e-mail. ;D
   You don't need a video for this.  It's not a hard modification and I'm not an expert in the soldering world, but was able to make James S's idea work.  Just follow the schematic for the relay to see where to attach the sensor and smoke detector escape light wires.

Sensor *   *  (not used)

Smoke Detector  *   *                           * Sensor

Does this make any sense to you?  The symbol "*" depicts the pin location on the bottom of the Radio Shack relay.

AlarmSafe

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »

THANKS!!!!! :D

AlarmSafe

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »

Hey James,
Is it ok to use the First Alert SA302, SA303, or SA340 because walmart did not have the SA304 smoke detector. I have already bought the relay and soldered it to a x10 sensor and to an extra two wires. Let me know as soon as you can.

Andrew

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:50:38 PM »

Alarm Safe:   I'm not familiar with those smoke detectors.  If they have a light that turns on when smoke detected, you should be able to use them. Use a volt meter to confirm voltage available at light terminals on smoke detector when it is in alarm mode and match this voltage to relay voltage requirements.
When using two DS7000 systems, one for fire and the other for security, set each DS7000 on separate housecodes. You can then set up different lights (using X10 lamp modules or light switches) to come on when one or the other DS7000 goes into alarm mode. For example, have table lamps to light up for fire and ceiling lights to light up for break in. If you use only one DS7000 for both fire and security (not recommended), the only way you will know to grab a fire hose or a baseball bat is to listen for the sound that the smoke detector makes. This could be quite diffcult will DS7000 alarm sounding. Thats why I recommend using two DS7000. In addition, when away from home, each DS7000 will have a separate recording, one for fire, one for break in.    James S.

AlarmSafe

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »

Thanks James S. your knowledge was very helpful.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:12:56 PM »

Quote from James S April 18th 2006
I have one D7000 that I use only for security and another that I use for a fire alarm. Each has separate messages recorded, one for break in, one for fire. 

Well I think I have a better idea I have a talking smoke/gas detector so after you set it up as described and the unit calls you well when you listen in you could hear the detector saying fire, fire fire. I was just siting here working on another project when it came to me the microphone on the console is really excellent I was actually able to hear the thief's who were downstairs in my house when I had a break in so if it's reasonably close you shouldn't have any problem hearing it, thus eliminating the need for a second console. By the way I was able to contact the police and they didn't get a dime.  ;D Let me know what you think.

Tcj
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:30:15 AM by tom j »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: DS7000 (PS561) & DS10A Used As A Fire Detector Alarm System !
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 12:54:09 PM »

...I used a First Alert Smoke Detectors Model SA304 with internal light (available at Wal-Mart $15.00). I soldered two wires to the coil of a 5 vdc relay (relay available at Radio Shack $4.50) and soldered the other wire ends to the light wires on smoke detector....
Clever approach. The First Alert Smoke Detector is most likely a more reliable sensor.

...I have one DS7000 that I use for security and another that I use for a fire alarm. Each has separate messages recorded - one for break in, one for fire....
You have to have 2 separate DS7000 alarms to have a unique fire alert? You mean the DS7000 doesn't distinguish between burglary and fire in it's alert? In the event of a fire it calls you and then you have to call the fire department? I hope you keep your phone on 24/7, have a spare battery and keep the fire department number in your phone contacts.

Personally I wouldn't be without a monitored system. I could have my phone turned off at a movie and come home to a burned down house.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »

You get a Helpful (and a Great Idea! Vote) from me for taking the time to write this novel idea up James S.

Thank you! :)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »

You get a Helpful (and a Great Idea! Vote) from me for taking the time to write this novel idea up James S.

Thank you! :)

I'll second that!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.