Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: '07 version AM466 modification?  (Read 37946 times)

Dmeister

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
'07 version AM466 modification?
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:35:49 AM »

Hi all!  New poster here, and relatively new to x10.

Earlier this year I purchased 3 AM466 modules and used the "Defeating local current sensing" and "Modifying appliance modules for local control" modifications found on idobartana.com with great success.  I now use these three modules with lamps with fluorescent bulbs.

I just bought a fourth AM466 and the layout of the board is completely different, as are the components.  I have uploaded two high res pictures to my website for reference:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-1.jpg

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-2.jpg

Does anyone know how to modify these new modules to accomplish the same thing as the older modules? ("Defeating local current sensing" and "Modifying appliance modules for local control")

Thanks for any help you can provide!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: '07 version AM466 modification?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of automation!

If anyone has modified one like those, they'll be here.

X10 has been know to make hardware changes without model number changes. If you could post date codes of the AM466s you have, it will help folks here document the changes.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dmeister

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:01:23 AM »

The old ones that followed the modifiable design were 06K48.

The new one with the new circuitboard has the date code 07L50. This would make it Dec '07 if I understand the date code scheme.

-Dmeister

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »

Thank you for the photos of the new board. We have had others with the same request, but until today had no actual photos of the boards or data from X10.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »

I just bought a fourth AM466 and the layout of the board is completely different, as are the components.  I have uploaded two high res pictures to my website for reference:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-1.jpg

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-2.jpg

Does anyone know how to modify these new modules to accomplish the same thing as the older modules? ("Defeating local current sensing" and "Modifying appliance modules for local control")

Thanks for any help you can provide!

great input!

You can always " 'speriment". 

Local sensing componets have to:
1. "See" the load by monitoring the output side of the relay.
2. Couple that signal back to the chip for control.

Those componets just to the "west" of the output side of the relay (big black wire jumper from relay to the "hot" side of the output socket). Looks like a resistor and a small signal diode. If you don't mind voiding your warranty and you can handle a soldering iron, try clipping the lead at the top of the resistor, reassemble the module and test. If that does not work, solder cut lead back together. Then look at that small jumper located between two diodes and two transistors near the output sockets. Clip that and see what happens again.

I need to buy a couple of of appliance modules and when I get them I will try the above.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dmeister

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »

Thanks for the input so far, everyone!  The "resistor clip" has been tried by one other person (I found a post elsewhere) and the only result was that the relay sprung back open immediately after closing, so that's a no-go.  I'm not an electronics guru, but I'm good with a soldering iron, provided I have instructions - hence the request for help!

Keep 'em coming!

If anyone needs closeups, let me know, I have plenty of bandwidth.  I'll just add more pics on my server space.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »

Thanks for the input so far, everyone!  The "resistor clip" has been tried by one other person (I found a post elsewhere) and the only result was that the relay sprung back open immediately after closing, so that's a no-go.  I'm not an electronics guru, but I'm good with a soldering iron, provided I have instructions - hence the request for help!

Keep 'em coming!

If anyone needs closeups, let me know, I have plenty of bandwidth.  I'll just add more pics on my server space.

Would you mind trying a quick experiment with one of your new AM466?
X-10 added Extended Code functions to the redesigned LM465 and WS467 lamp modules.   This experiment will determine whether they also added Extended Code functions to the redesigned AM466 appliance module.

Set the address of the module to an otherwise unused housecode and unit code address.
In ActiveHome Pro, drag in the icon for the LM14A 2-way Lamp Module (yes, that's right) and set its address to that of the module.
Drag the brightness slider in the icon all the way up, wait about 3  seconds, then click the on/off switch on the icon.
Now repeat the above - drag the slider to the top, wait, then click the on/off switch.
Listen to hear if the module relay clicks on and off during the repeat  of the above.

Let us know the results.  Thanks.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dmeister

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »

Charles - I'd love to help, but I'm not using ActiveHome for my automation.  I'm just starting out and this all comes about because our professional home alarm system has X-10 scheduling capability for 8 devices, including the X-10 siren.  It can perform basic on-off activities based on a schedule or alarm system device "events".  With a little expansion I can now use an X-10 wireless remote/transceiver or our alarm system remote to turn on our porch light as well as others in the house. By the way, the wall switch I purchased for the porch light is also the latest-and-greatest version (with the soft start and soft stop when you turn the light on and off, and dimming at the switch.)

Eventually only the new modules will be on the market and as new folks get into this they are most likely going to want to know how to use these devices with compact fluorescent light bulbs.  The only ways to make this work that I've found (based on the available info) is to use a socket rocket either by itself or in-line with an extension cord (with plug and socket adapters) or to modify the appliance modules.   Now that the old appliance modules will soon be rare to find and the old mods won't work, everyone would benefit greatly from an electronics guru messing around with the new appliance modules and figuring out how to completely kill the local control current sense circuit (for better use with fluorescent bulbs) and add a local on-off switch.

It boggles my mind as to why X-10 doesn't 1) make a complete line of simple "on-off only" modules (no dim, no current sense circuit) specifically for use with compact fluorescent bulbs, which should require less components and be cheaper to make, and 2) add a local momentary on-off switch to EVERY appliance/lamp module so you can flip them on-off if you don't have a remote handy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:08:15 AM by Dmeister »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »

It boggles my mind as to why X-10 doesn't 1) make a complete line of simple "on-off only" modules (no dim, no current sense circuit) specifically for use with compact fluorescent bulbs, which should require less components and be cheaper to make, and 2) add a local momentary on-off switch to EVERY appliance/lamp module so you can flip them on-off if you don't have a remote handy.

Just about everything X-10 does (or doesn't do) boggles my mind.

They'll probably make changes when the CFL versus Incandescent situation starts to cut into their bottom line.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bosco

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »

Any luck on this front?  I have a new model AM466 that needs modification and I was wondering if anyone has been successful?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »

I have one of them coming in an X10 deal. Sales page also says for CFL Bulbs. Time will tell on CFL use and if disabling sensing is possible.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »

My new Date Code 08A02 arrived today. One that X10 says is CFL friendly.

Short test more to follow. So results may change in time. Take as a short test only for now.

I tried four different brand CFL bulbs. None of then re-triggered the module back on after turning off and non flickered when off.

Local sensing was still there.

Compare an old Date Code 01H34 to the new Date Code 08A02 for sensing current when off:
Old unit sensing current 2.37 ma AC 1.69 ma DC [there is a diode in the circuit]
New unit 0.33 ma AC no DC component.

Boiler

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »

Brian,

As long as your testing...

Would you mind checking to see if the New AM466's can be programmed with extended code group addresses?  I've been playing with some of the new LM465's (can be programmed with group addresses) and am curious whether the new AM466's have a similar capability.

Thanks,
Boiler

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »

I will see what I can find on both the local control thing and the address thing.
I may start a new review thread in the reviews section also.

radiovan

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the great info on defeating the current sensing so the appliance module works properly with CFLs.  I removed the diode from an AM466 with a 6F33 date code and it works great. No more coming back on after turning off.  :D

I have boxes full of modules and controllers that I haven't used since I switched to nearly 100% CFLs and fluorescent lamps 10 years ago. Now we can have lamps go on so our doggies aren't in the dark if we don't get home soon enough.  #:)

Bill
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.