Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Wired Security Modules  (Read 4971 times)

iptv65

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Wired Security Modules
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

We have a new home that is pre-wired for a security system.  All wiring and sensors are installed and home run to my media panel.  Is there a way to use the existing wired sensors with the protector plus system?  I don't have my hands on one yet but was wondering if I could simply cut the sensor off the "wireless" module" and install it on the end of my "wired sensor".  If I can't find a wired solution this would at least allow me to put all the wireless modules in the closet and eliminate distance issues that may or may not be a problem...I will have to see when I get the system.
Thanks in advance for any help on this topic!

Vigilant1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: X10 Wired Security Modules
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »

Is there a way to use the existing wired sensors with the protector plus system?  I don't have my hands on one yet but was wondering if I could simply cut the sensor off the "wireless" module" and install it on the end of my "wired sensor".  If I can't find a wired solution this would at least allow me to put all the wireless modules in the closet and eliminate distance issues that may or may not be a problem...I will have to see when I get the system.
Thanks in advance for any help on this topic!

I'm new here and haven't even seen the DS7000, but I found a post on this board similar to yours which got a few responses.  So, here's something while you wait for the real pros to respond:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=6555.0

Botttom line: It looks like it can be done.  Posters "James" Chuck" and "Paul" all had luck with it.  Note in particular the reported need to include a resistor in the line (I don't quite understand why that is required.  I know that this is done sometimes in professional alarm systems in order to help detect short-circuitng of the loop by an intruder, but I doubt the X10 sensors are sophisticated enough to detect such a thing)   Nobody mentioned hard-wiring the sensors into the actual control unit, they all just treated the very big wired sensor loops in their homes as a single sensor and hooked it up to one X10 door/window transmitter.   It sounds like it works well, and it will reduce the number of transmitters you have to buy, allow you to put the transmitter near your control box, and also reduce the number of batteries you have to buy.  Plus, you can still integrate a few wireless X10 motion sensors as backups to your existing perimeter wired system.  Let me know how this works for you--I might try a similar setup.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.