Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dawn Simulation Set up  (Read 36925 times)

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Dawn Simulation Set up
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

Check alternative sources...  lots of discontinued X10 modules and modules from other manufacturers are available online.  (Is this suggestion taboo?)
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »

...apparently the lm14a is discontinued?? sales rep says there's no real equivalent that can do dim, soft start & relative dim levels. does that sound right? are there equivalents that will do what i need?

actually, sales rep says the lm465 will do all i need with macros...but i suspect it won't be perfect since it's not one of the "more advanced" lamps that you guys were referring to..am i right?...

The new softStart lamp LM465 Module will work as well or better than the old LM14A for what you want to do. The SoftStart lamp LM465 Module was what I wrote my macros to use.

Quote from: My link above...
The NEW & IMPROVED SoftStart Lamp Module is better than standard Lamp Modules for a number of reasons. For starters, it "remembers" it's preset level. If you dim your lamp, turn it off, then turn it on again, it will fade on to the same dimness as the last time it was turned off. It's easy on the eyes, especially in the morning when you first wake up. It also extends bulb life, saving you energy and money.

With the Automatic Gain Control (AGC)feature, this Lamp Module has increased signal sensitivity, making it more reliable than ever!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:27:53 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

The new softStart lamp LM465 Module will work as well or better than the old LM14A for what you want to do. The SoftStart lamp LM465 Module was what I wrote my macros to use.

oh..ok. didn't know that. based on the sequence in this thread..i initially mentioned the LM465 to see if it's ok & then someone suggested the LM14A...so i figured that was what i needed & the lm465 wasn'st "advanced enough".

so lm465 will be able to do gradual (no noticed jumps) of dimming & brightening? & can set it to brighten over say..30 min no problems?

ok. so this is the one i need then...thanks. alot of golden info!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »

...so lm465 will be able to do gradual (no noticed jumps) of dimming & brightening? & can set it to brighten over say..30 min no problems?...
To see the macro examples I linked to earlier, click here.
Basically if you notice "jumps" just lower the increment amount and shorten the time between increments.

Note: "Programming" macros is pretty much a drop & drag job in AHP. Most people, even without programming experience, can create a basic macro in 2-5 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:43:58 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bilyth

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »

thanks for all the help.. i have a very good idea what i need to buy & what i need to do to set up.

one last thing, is there a similar device to the lm465 so that i can have an overhead ceiling light do the dawn simulation? (bulbs screw into the ceiling & it's controlled by a wall swicth).

if not, i'll just get the lm465 & plug a table lamp into it.

thanks.b

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »

...is there a similar device to the lm465 so that i can have an overhead ceiling light do the dawn simulation? (bulbs screw into the ceiling & it's controlled by a wall swicth).
Actually many / most of the new wall switches have softstart now even though X10 has not either advertised it or acknowledged the fact. To make it even more annoying, they didn't bother to change the part number for the new wall switches or the softstart module. Since I don't have one of the X10 softstart modules yet I have been testing my macros with one of the new wall switches.

Do a forum search for "new switches". You'll have a few hours of reading material.  ;)

If X10 can't guaranty you a softstart wall switch, this is where I got mine.
http://myworld.ebay.com/x10-warehouse/
I believe most or all of his stock are the softstart ones.

bilyth

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »

while i'm at this & getting great replies from you guys.

for those that are using this as dawn simulation..are you using full spectrum bulbs? or ordinary bulbs? any suggestions on full spectrum bulbs (i need them to fit regular sockets & dim properly) & where i can get them?

i research this myself..but thought i'd throw this out in case there's an expert on this somewhere already.

thanks!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »

...for those that are using this as dawn simulation..are you using full spectrum bulbs? or ordinary bulbs? any suggestions on full spectrum bulbs (i need them to fit regular sockets & dim properly) & where i can get them?...
My only research on full spectrum bulbs goes back way too many years to be up to date. 20-30 years or so ago I read a book called "Health and Light" by John Ott. http://www.amazon.com/Health-Light-Effects-Natural-Artificial/dp/0898040981 the author had a lot to say about the importance of natural light. While I don't think they are true "full spectrum bulbs", I use the reveal bulbs for my bedroom.
Another thing to consider is that a bulbs light balance is quoted and based on full brightness. Whether or not the light balance remains constant when dimmed is not specified or guaranteed.
While I have conceded to use florescent lights for my outdoor flood lights, as a general rule I hate CFLs. I consider them to be an environmental time bomb.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:54:55 AM by steven r »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 07:23:45 AM »

To make it even more annoying, they didn't bother to change the part number for the new wall switches or the softstart module.

I think that is a rather important thing to remember.  Most LM465's do not have this feature.  They have been making LM465's for at least a decade, and only some of the newest ones, have it.   Without a part number change, it is almost impossible to tell without actually plugging one in, and testing it.   

However, all LM14A's have this feature, if you can find one.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »

Does think link mean, that X10.com itself is only selling/shipping the new version of the LM465 ?

I thought (worried?) that it was a random "hit or miss" about getting a new or old version of the LM465.   :(
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

bilyth

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »

Does think link mean, that X10.com itself is only selling/shipping the new version of the LM465 ?

I thought (worried?) that it was a random "hit or miss" about getting a new or old version of the LM465.   :(

yeah, that's a concern of mine which is why i wanted to confirm which lamp module i needed. soft start & gradual dimming are very important to get this setup right.

i'm not sure if the x10 chat could support can confirm if they are the new ones...but my experience with them is the chat isn't as informative as it should be...if anyone has any insight before i order it'd be appreciated.

i was looking at a canadian site..& under lm465 it says: "For a lamp module with soft start, user selectable on-level and ramp rate, see the Smarthome 2456D3". Smarthome is a totally different system right? should i look into it? i guess it has it's own kit (ie not active home pro)...a little reluctant since x10 seems to be more popular...unless i can find a clearcut step by step guide on building dawn simulation with smarthome parts & software.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

...Does think link mean, that X10.com itself is only selling/shipping the new version of the LM465 ?...
Who knows? They probably have a box of the old ones also. At least with the LM465, if you buy one that is advertised as softstart you can expect to get a softstart one or least have grounds to complain if you don't.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »

Smarthome is a totally different system right?

There is INSTEON system, which is conceptionally similar to X10, but yet different.  However, SmartHome's xxxxLinc modules are usually compatile with both INSTEON and X10.

I looked at the LampLinc module, 2456D3, you mentioned, and while it can be manually programmed to do some interesting things, including a slow power-on ramp for up to 9 minutes.  However, it doesn't appear to be programmable by direct X10 extended commands.

bilyth

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »

i'm gonna stick to what works with x10- i have everything explained & ready here for me.

plus, i would like to brighten for longer than 9 minutes. but thanks for looking into it.

i think i'll contact x10 & see if i can specify the newer lm465. thanks!

bilyth

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

thanks peeps! ordered software package that came with lamp module..added a wall switch (can as a 2 pack). So i'll try out hte software instructions when i get it.

i had a funny thought- i thought i'd only need 1 wall switch but the two pack was only $5 more..was thinking about where i'd need one other than my bedroom..& i thought (hypothetically of course)..these things work by RF signals right? since i'm in an apartment..i thought it'd be cool to hack into the nearby elevator & connect my extra wall switch. Would i be able to call the elevator from my apartment? Could i schedule the elevator to come to my floor at a certain time in the morning?

i'd never do it..but it'd be cool. Ah, well..i'll figure something to do with the other wall switch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.