Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dawn Simulation Set up  (Read 36990 times)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Dawn Simulation Set up
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:57:11 PM »

Hi there,

just heard of x10 for the first time. I'd like to set up a dawn simulator with my bedroom lamp. I've seen a few posts here & there..some of them a bit dated; but haven't found any posts or websites with clear confirmation that it can work and/or step by step instructions.

Basically i want to have a lamp turn on at a set time at a very dim level & gradually brighten over a 30 minute period. (it would be nice..but not as necessary to have it gradually dim off in the evening too)

If someone has experience, can they please point me or tell me what parts i need to obtain & how to set it up? So far, i found these old instructions:

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~jimmc/dawnsim.html

I understand that the current equivalent parts are: MT12A mini timer, LM465, CM15A Active Home Pro Interface.

Are the the parts i need?

Also, i read somewhere that the light may not increase gradually..but rather in noticeable jumps. Is that true? any way to make it very gradual? Also, i read that it may only increase gradually to a max time of 9 minutes..not 30 minutes (or any # minutes i want to set). Is this true?

Also, once i get the parts..how do i go about writing "scripts" for this?

I found this:
http://tommy.keepword.com/homebrew-dawn-simulator

are these "scripts", the scripts i need? will they work the way i want it? what's perl vs bash? do i need to know..or can i just copy & paste those "scripts" somewhere in the active home program?

Finally, i also read that if i want to take the full advantage of setting up a dawn simluater..that i'd need a full spectrum light (vs regular incandescent lights). can i just buy these lights at a home depot..& will they fit in a regular lamp?

If anyone can help; it'd be appreciated. Also, nice clear step by step instructions would be nice. i'm totally new to x10 lingo & how it works.

thanks very much.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:59:18 PM by bilyth »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Dawn Simulation Set up
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »

bilyth Welcome aboard!
Get the Active Home Pro (AHP) all plug-ins package($49) usualy it can be found in the Daily Deals Section at x10
Using the Smartmacros plug-in it is easy to do!
Doing an Advanced search  may turn up the actual way to do it! possibly some one will post their macro to do this in the User-Designed Working Macros
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bilyth

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »

thanks tuiceman,

i've been waiting pateintly for a reply.

Have you had experience with setting dawn simulation? if so, maybe you could answer some of hte more specific questions i had in my original post...

i'm a little concerned that i'll pick up a lamp module that cannot dim over a period of 30 minutes...

also, i find the x10 & sale site a little daunting...i also find the whole programming aspect a little daunting too. so, are you saying i should be able to find a $50 package that contains all the software & parts that i need (like the parts i listed)...i'll have to watch it then..so far i only see an active home pro package but it doesn't seem to contain the parts i need.

also, i did a search of the user made macros & can't find anything specifically on dawn simulation (although i'm sure htey're out there somewhere). i wish i could find some direct step by step instructions...or wish x10 chat supported this type of use/info.

anyways, if you can provide more info..or if someone else can. that'd be appreciated. thanks.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »

While programming it will be similar in both cases, you will have a much more reliable arrangement if you use a soft start switch or module.
i.e. Without a soft start switch that remembers it's dim setting when turned off, you will need to leave your light on its dimmest setting instead of turning it off. Also even the briefest power interruption will cause the light to come on at full brightness in the morning.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »

Yea, I agree.  You need one of the more advanced lamp modules (like the LM14A) which have features like soft-start, and more importantly, absolute (rather than relative) dim levels settings.

This way you could turn the module 'on' directly to a 3% dim, and increase the dim by 3% each minute with a simple AHP macro.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »

...possibly some one will post their macro to do this...
See an example using AHP macros here.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:03:51 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bilyth

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

thanks for the input. that's the concern i was trying to address...i wanted to make sure i had the right parts to actually dim on gradually & properly remember settings...so the lm14a is what i need then.

what about the dimmer module..does that matter? does MT12A mini timer suffice?

thanks for the link..i hope hte "coming soon" will be complete soon. i'd like a straightforward guide.

can someone comment on the link i posted:
http://tommy.keepword.com/homebrew-dawn-simulator

are the "scripts" that i need? is it easy to implement into active home?
thanks all.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »

...does MT12A mini timer suffice?...
A mini timer could be used to trigger the macros but to do what you want to do you need AHP.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »

...can someone comment on the link i posted:
http://tommy.keepword.com/homebrew-dawn-simulator...
Looked confusing to me but I've never programed in Peal. I believe it still requires a piece of hardware called "firecracker" or the old CM11A as well as the modules and a transceiver also. AHP would be cheaper and more useful in the long run.* Furthermore I believe the firecracker needs an old fashion serial port. They are becoming a rarity these days. The CM11A has known problems working with XP also.

Also the script wasn't written to take advantage of the new soft start modules so it would still be lacking.

*Components

For the dawn simulator, I used the following components (prices from 1999):
MT522 mini-timer (functionally equivalent to MT10 mini-timer)    $19.11
PLM03 (LM465) lamp module with dimming capability    $10.35
CM11A computer controller    $39.45
(shipping for the above items)    $5.81
300 watt halogen torchier lamp    $15.19
Total cost:   $89.91

Sure looks like AHP for $49.95 plus a soft start lamp module is a better way to go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:09:52 PM by steven r »

bilyth

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:35:03 AM »

...does MT12A mini timer suffice?...
A mini timer could be used to trigger the macros but to do what you want to do you need AHP.

right...i'll definitely be getting AHP...but i need a timer too right? or can AHP do everything if my computer's on all the time? (thus making a timer not a requirement?)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 03:17:59 AM »

...i'll definitely be getting AHP...but i need a timer too right? or can AHP do everything if my computer's on all the time? (thus making a timer not a requirement?)
Yes AHP and a soft start module should work as AHP has the ability to store timers also. Make sure you get a package with all the extra software such as this one.

You might want to search the forum for and start reading up on noise, signal suckers, & phase signals as these sometimes can present unwanted obstacles.

bilyth

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »

Yes AHP and a soft start module should work as AHP has the ability to store timers also. Make sure you get a package with all the extra software such as this one.

ok, thanks for all that...

wow, i'm not sure i know what all those different software will do...i thought i only needed one software called AHP...i'll need to study them..do i need them for this dawn simulation? or are there extras for when i want to get into other home automation things? i guess i could just get the soft start module separately (it sounds like the only hardware piece i need then..if no timer required) & then get this software package for $49? sound right?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

bilyth
You don't need them all just the Smart Macro plug-in with AHP but it is cheaper to get them all  then just the ones needed! besides you may want them down the road once you see the possibilities!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bilyth

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »

bilyth
You don't need them all just the Smart Macro plug-in with AHP but it is cheaper to get them all  then just the ones needed! besides you may want them down the road once you see the possibilities!

i get it..thanks!

AHP + smartmacro (2 different software) that i'll need for my application (i thought all i needed was AHP)...that makes sense..so i'll probably get this then...plus the soft smart lamp module.

do they ever have packages that are AHP, smart macro plugin, & the soft start lamp for $50 (without all the extras)? i'm guessing not..since the smart start lamp sounds like "advanced" ie. more expensive.

thanks so much guys!

bilyth

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »

just chatted with x10 sales..apparently the lm14a is discontinued?? sales rep says there's no real equivalent that can do dim, soft start & relative dim levels. does that sound right? are there equivalents that will do what i need?

actually, sales rep says the lm465 will do all i need with macros...but i suspect it won't be perfect since it's not one of the "more advanced" lamps that you guys were referring to..am i right?

as posted by walt2:

"You need one of the more advanced lamp modules (like the LM14A) which have features like soft-start, and more importantly, absolute (rather than relative) dim levels settings.

This way you could turn the module 'on' directly to a 3% dim, and increase the dim by 3% each minute with a simple AHP macro."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:04:19 AM by bilyth »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.