Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Soft Start Driving Me Crazy. Can it be turned off?  (Read 12733 times)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
Re: Soft Start Driving Me Crazy. Can it be turned off?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »

I have seen hacks out there for standard appliance modules for installing SSRs (Solid State Relays), but I don't know that I have seen these hacks done on a WS13A as I don't know if there is enough space in the case.  
Dan,
I think the hack is for putting an SSR in a lamp module to make it a "silent Appliance Module".

The WS13, Appliance Module, etc. turns ON and OFF by gating a SCR half cycle pulse through a solenoid latching relay. I don't think there is a source of constant drive to keep the SSR gated ON in any of the "clunking" X10 modules.

The article mentions "If you’ve got a non-dimming X10 switch, you’ve experienced the incredibly loud, obnoxious sound that it makes when you switch it on or off".  I took the description of the loud obnoxious sound to mean that it was an X10 appliance type switch.  I don't recall if the ones in my kitchen are WS13s or not, but I think they are, and they have an LED on them that stays lit when the switch is on.  This tells me that there IS some kind of constant drive that could be used with the opto isolator.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »

The article mentions "If you’ve got a non-dimming X10 switch, you’ve experienced the incredibly loud, obnoxious sound that it makes when you switch it on or off".  I took the description of the loud obnoxious sound to mean that it was an X10 appliance type switch.  I don't recall if the ones in my kitchen are WS13s or not, but I think they are, and they have an LED on them that stays lit when the switch is on.  This tells me that there IS some kind of constant drive that could be used with the opto isolator.
Sure sounds like a WS13A! I stand corrected.
You are right, they could drive the SSR from the LED.
If you find the article, could you post the link? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:04:50 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »

I also believe the WS13A has an Active LED. I know the X10Pro XPS3 version has one.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps3.pdf

I have also seen the SSR added to a Lamp Module mod and have done a few older revision modules myself.

The new Soft Start ones are very different. Including the power supply being around five volts. Not even regulated by a Zener any more. Just a smaller value cap and larger resistor in series with the AC input. In fact when you turn the Triac On the voltage drops from the small extra current driving the gate. The coil that is connected from the Neutral In to Neutral Out in the old ones. Is now in the output side of the triac to the Line Out of the module.

The coil in the Applance module is about 50 Ohms. One hefty pulse when the AC is triggered On to it by the SCR.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:11:19 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »

The Leviton relay wall switches I use just make a barely audible click when turning on or off.

I use the older "red line" 16293, but the newer "green line" switches probably behave the same.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »

I have a number of Insteon Switchlinc and ToggleLinc switches. The click on those is barely audible, to me at least.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »

Yes they are very quiet compared to the X10 ratchet switch.
The dimmers can have their ramp rate set to .2 seconds to I believe 8 minutes.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »

I only have two Smarthome ToggleLinc dimmers. They are actually older (pre-insteon) ones. I never use them for dimming (intentionally, that is). At some point, I'll probably replace them with Insteon non-dimming switches, so I can use CFL's in those fixtures (recessed spots in my living room ceiling).

I also have one pair of non-dimming pre-insteon ToggleLinc switches (it is actually a "main" switch and a "remote" switch - used to replace a pair of 3-way switches). Those are silent (at least I can't detect a click at all - I don't know if they had a relay, or used solid-state components)

I have four Insteon ToggleLincs, and two Inseton SwitchLincs, all of which have the barely audible click (which doesn't bother me - in fact it is helpful audible confirmation when I'm testing stuff, since four of the switches control outdoor lights)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.