Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Software Problems Version 3.236  (Read 44538 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Software Problems Version 3.236
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »

I must say this was an easy install  :)%
It never fails, fixing one issue always creates another  >*<
  • I don't know why 3.228 didn't see this and Auto update a bug with 3.236? or 3.228?
  • This was suppose to fix the issue with DST but users have still reported the weird Dec time change!
  • There is an issue with the On Alert Plug-in and this version if you use the keyflobs you can't disarm
  • The issue with windows commands (batch or exe file failing to execute after a restart) still exists :(
    Fortunately there is a workaround<link
  • Live video button under View does nothing for me
  • If you happen to have another USB video device connected and windows sees it first AHP fails to load the VA11A not a problem for some if the device will work with AHP

I invite all that find any other issues to post them here!
It will make it easier for X10 to Find them an possibly get them fixed! ::) :'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:45:37 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Boiler

Re: Software Problems Version 3.236
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »

Soft start module use with V3.236

We've all been drilled in the fact that the LM14a 2-way lamp module interface should be used when interfacing to the newer "soft start" units.  Using the LM14a interface with LM465 lamp modules gets around problems related to the "resume dim" feature.  Using the LM14a interface with WS467 (and other) switches gets around problems with the switches not activating in response to a bright/dim command. 

Unfortunately, there are still some "gotchas" with this interface.

While V3.236 is a minor improvement over V3.204, it's a huge improvement over V3.228.  Original post related to V3.228 is located here: Changes in V3.236

Update 12/22/08: Encountered a number of problems with V3.236 (see following post).  At this point I am reverting to 3.204 - it has some problems, but they are problems I know.

Problems remaining in the V3.236 implementation of the LM14a interface include:

1) The LM14a module interface will not work at the A1 address

If you configure a LM14a 2-way lamp module at address A1, and download to the interface, it will function as a normal module (LM465, WS 467) and use standard bright/dim commands.  In short - if you use a new Soft Start WS467 at address A1 (AHP interfaced as a LM14a) and try to turn the unit on to 90% - it will not work!  AHP will send a bright 100% command followed by a dim 10% command.  The soft start WS467 will not activate in response to the bright 100% - net result is no lamp activity.

Using the LM14a interface at any other housecode/address results in normal extended code operation.

Correction - The above applies to AHP Driver Update 3.236 available here: Support Software.

The full update of 3.236 does not exhibit this A1 problem.  The full update is available here: http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ahp_updt_236.exe

It figures we'd have multiple configurations for V3.236...

2) Cannot monitor status of LM14a modules

AHP cannot monitor the status of a module that uses extended codes.  The GUI will update when extended codes are sent, however neither the "on" or "dim" status are updated (Reports/Status).  The result is you can't use a "Module Status" command to qualify your macros for a LM14a interfaced unit.

Work around (macro):
Set LM14a ON (note: a simple ON/OFF command will set the status for the unit.  It will also activate the unit's resume dim feature).
Set LM14a 90% (this command will be sent as an extended code and will override the resume dim).

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:06:59 PM by Boiler »

Boiler

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »

After encountering and reading of a number of problems with V3.236, I decided to build some test macros and walk them through the recent AHP versions.

Versions Tested:
  • V3.204 (baseline)
  • V3.228
  • V3.228 with V3.236 Driver Update (X10Drivers.exe)
  • V3.236

Macro 1: Turns on 4 WS467 Dimmers and Dim's to 70%.  Macro is set up so that the units are first addressed and then dimmed in unison. 

Set L1 to 70%
Set L2 to 70%
Set L3 to 70%
Set L4 to 70%

Macro 2: Turns on 1 AM486 and 1 AM466.  Again the macro is set up to first address the units and then turn them on at the same time.

Set L5 on (AM486 2-pin appliance)
Set L6 on (AM466 2-pin appliance)

Macro 3: Turns on 2 LM14a 2-way lamp modules using extended code direct dim commands.  Dim level is set to 88%

Set A1 on (LM14a)
Set A2 on (LM14a)

AHP Settings:
Monitored house code: A
Transceived house codes: None
Issue On in place of Bright 100%: Enabled
Macros executed via RF.

V3.204 Log

V3.228 Log

V3.228 With V3.236 Driver Update Log

V3.236 Log- note the label is wrong in the header below

V3.236 Has taken away our ability to turn units on in unison.  I have also personally seen some very strange appliance module behavior when using timers (couldn't reproduce here).

V3.228 appears to be worse (really whacked).

I've only scratched the surface as far as configurations are concerned and I do not like what I see.  I have neither the time nor the patience to continue re-learning workarounds each time X10 decides to enhance it's software.

For the time being, I'm reverting to V3.204.  For the future, you can look for my hardware on Ebay.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:18:04 PM by Boiler »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:22:41 AM »

Reading other users posts about module addressing problems, and especially timer and user interface bugs is precisely why have refused to upgrade and continue to run 3.204 myself.

I learned to "wait and see" what others say before accepting an upgrade several revisions ago.  ;)

Unfortunately, this applies to many companies software these days (a large one beginning with "M" comes directly to mind ;) ).

I've only scratched the surface as far as configurations are concerned and I do not like what I see. I have neither the time nor the patience to continue re-learning workarounds each time X10 decides to enhance it's software.

For the time being, I'm reverting to V3.204. For the future, you can look for my hardware on Ebay.

I can't say I blame you for feeling that way.  I hope you won't abandon the forum as well.  We need all the help we can get from people like you that "go the extra mile" to examine and document these things!  #:)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:45:53 AM »

...I 2nd what Bill said - and PLEASE don't give up - you are needed here!
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »

I have neither the time nor the patience to continue re-learning workarounds each time X10 decides to enhance it's software.

You're not alone there Boiler. Learning more and helping others is always fun, but when the product changes and nothing is tested prior to public release, the enjoyment of this hobby dissipates real fast. Updating to 3.228 and 3.236 has some issues that has caused problems for me; when I have the time I plan to go back to 3.204 as well.

It's near impossible to help others when the software & hardware changes without notice and on top of that, the operating system of the user effects how things work. There is no longer a single solution or work around that applies to everyone. Unfortunately most of the information posted here on the forum has changed from "a solution" to "you might want to try this".

I don't know what's going on at X10 lately, but IMO, it's not improvements. It seems like the website designers are running the show; most likely no one with engineering or business intelligence is involved with company decisions. AHP can be a great product, if they want it to be; but until X10 resolves some issues, I'd be hardpressed to recommend it to anyone.

Boiler

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »

It's near impossible to help others when the software & hardware changes without notice and on top of that, the operating system of the user effects how things work. There is no longer a single solution or work around that applies to everyone. Unfortunately most of the information posted here on the forum has changed from "a solution" to "you might want to try this".

Puck,

Very well said - Much of the information that I've contributed in the past deals with macro timing and the proper "chaining" of commands to achieve the desired effects.  I think of the Forum as a type of living record that is intended to help new and old users alike. 

With a few quick strokes of the keyboard, X10 has killed that living record.  Much of the information that we have contributed in the past has turned into "Mis-information" as of V3.326.  It simply won't work anymore.

In a way, X10 has made my life a bit simpler.  I am currently in the process of finishing the basement in my home.  I've completed the hard part, moving the floor drains for the toilet and shower, and am on to the fun stuff (framing, pluming & electrical).  Unfortunately, my electrical panel and structured media panel are in an area that will become a finished room.  I was having problems coming up with a design that could handle all of the home automation components (PLM, PLC, ISY-99, Active repeater, and 2-CM15a's). 

As of yesterday, I no longer feel that the CM15a's are a viable long term solution.  This will make my panel quite a bit more manageable.

As far as my Forum membership is concerned, I'm not planning on going anywhere.  I consider many of the Forum members as friends and I don't give those up easily.  You may find my commentary to be severely limited in the future however.  I can't comment on things I have no experience with.  As of V3.326, that includes AHP.

Time to go now, it's almost noon here and I'm behind quota on sawdust for the day.

Boiler

Edit - photo's of the basement didn't seem appropriate for this thread.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:19:04 PM by Boiler »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »

Boiler
I also will miss your attention to detail! :'(
Please reconsider tossing the CM15A & AHP even if you keep it as a toy to play with on occasion!
Possibly use the CM15A with only thirdparty software as many do now using AHP only to upload.
This may bring back some of the fun, I know it has for me! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jharris2

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »

Please reference thread at http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=17138.0

Version 3.236 does not allow some timers to be executed from the CM15A controller.  The Advanced Timer Layout in 3.236 is the apparent source of the problems.

I have some timers that run on specific days of the week -- for example, the water pump starts earlier on Monday than on other days of the week so that the shower is ready for an early-morning flight.  Once you click on a day other than "daily", then 3.236 inserts start and stop dates into the timer.  Unfortunately, it inserts "January 1" to "January 1" and the timer ignores changes to the date fields.  Net is, you end up with a timer that seems to work on one day of the year only.

For now, the resolution is to back the software down to 3.204.

This issue has been reported to Brett at x10.  Hopefully he has relayed on to the software development team.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 06:53:06 PM »

Boiler; Thank you for taking the time to document these things.
I gave you a helpful for your detailed analysis of AHP and the CM15A.
Don't feel like AHP and the CM15A are the only quirky things. My Insteon setup is totally whacked out right now and my old 1132CU doing X10 works better than the Insteon signals.  ::)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »

just another $0.02 - thanks so much for uncovering the "why" some things used to work, and now don't.  I'll be going back to 3.204 also - even if it's just for sanity.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »

I only have two choices.... 3.236 and 3.228.... I bought mine last summer, so I never had a reliable copy  :P

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:58:21 PM »

I only have two choices.... 3.236 and 3.228.... I bought mine last summer, so I never had a reliable copy  :P

Stay with 3.228.  It's stable, which is more than 3.236, which seems to be a buggy release, IMHO.  I had it and backed down to 3.228.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »

Totally agree, Dan.  I have few problems with 3.228, but then I don't use any extended code in any of my macros.

Shilo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »

New install, I open tools, hardware configuration.  Every time I enter the hardware configuration window the program shuts down immediately.  Microsoft windows error message " Active Home Professional has stopped working.  Running XP.  Any Suggestions?
Shilo
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.