Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: x10 home security reliability  (Read 25368 times)

jethead

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 home security reliability
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:38 PM »

I was wondering how people felt about the x10 over all reliability? I purchased 10 home systems back in 2005 with the intension of keeping two for myself and parents and installing the others as a test side business. I was discouraged when the system would randomly act up.  The zone lights on the console would occasionally light up and or flash for no reason (the batteries were all new). This was a big head ache when in a hurry to leave, the system would not arm and only made the repeated ding,ding,ding sound. My parents system would do the same thing and my new house system also sometimes does it. I decided against installing the systems for others as I felt it could be a huge head ache with phone calls. Has anyone had this problem and are the newer systems better? Does any one prefer the x10 2000 pro over the older systems? Does any one have any positive feed back on their x10 security business. I feel I could sell these but I need some encouragement about the present reliability and minimal malfunctions. Thank you.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: x10 home security reliability
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »

.... Does any one prefer the x10 2000 pro over the older systems?

I could never configure my 2000 pro... I don't recommend it.

However... the problem you experienced with your older DS7000 sounds like typical "newbie problems"... all of which are generally easy to resolve.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

If a thief knows, or suspects, that you have an X10 security system then he can easily jam it so that it will not respond to any sensor.  I don't want to say how in this forum, but I think the methods are well known.  For this reason alone, I would stay away from X10 security products.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »

If a thief knows, or suspects, that you have an X10 security system then he can easily jam it so that it will not respond to any sensor. 

• All alarm systems can be defeated, many if not most, very easily.
  • No security alarm system PREVENTS intrusion. Alarm systems only report.
  • If you have valuables that has attracted a professional "cat burglar" type thief... congratulations. However expect to lose your valuables... but that's what insurance is for.
  • Be sure to have a professional security alarm system installed and monitored to collect fully from your insurance provider.

Alan V

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »

[li]All alarm systems can be defeated, many if not most, very easily.[/li]

I would have to disagree with you in that X10 wireless sensor driven sercurity systems can be defeated much easier than a typical wired system (and can be done so without having physical access to any part of the system).

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »

I would have to disagree with you in that X10 wireless sensor driven sercurity systems can be defeated much easier than a typical wired system (and can be done so without having physical access to any part of the system).

Most systems... all that needs done is to kick the plastic cover off the phone fuse box... then kick out the fuses... takes 5 seconds.

Alan V

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »

Most systems... all that needs done is to kick the plastic cover off the phone fuse box... then kick out the fuses... takes 5 seconds.

Ah... but again, you would need physical access.  X10 is easy to defeat without even having physical access.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

Ah... but again, you would need physical access.  X10 is easy to defeat without even having physical access.

So... what does that prove? 5 secs.. no effort... they're alarms... all they do is send an alarm! Every crook on planet earth knows that!

Alan V

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

So... what does that prove? 5 secs.. no effort... they're alarms... all they do is send an alarm! Every crook on planet earth knows that!

I think you're missing the point.  Thieves rely on ease and accessibility.  Shutting off circuit breakers and kicking open a box adds an additional risk to be seen and heard.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »

I think you're missing the point.  Thieves rely on ease and accessibility

Oh. I am missing the point. Thief's want to do things the easy way.... which would mean days of web searches and research to track down certain brand users and then rob THEM? I think YOUR missing the point. Alarms... just alarm. Thief's know that. What matters to crooks is police responce time!

Alan V

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »

Oh. I am missing the point. Thief's want to do things the easy way.... which would mean days of web searches and research to track down certain brand users and then rob THEM? I think YOUR missing the point. Alarms... just alarm. Thief's know that. What matters to crooks is police responce time!

You can go on if you like on this topic, but I'm done here.  I see little value in continuing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:16:45 PM by Alan V »

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »

You can go on if you like on this topic, but I'm done here. 

You make a good point... X10's DS7000 isn't perfect. You apparently wouldn't feel safe with one of them protecting your home... I understand that.

But... it bums me out reading people trashing the X10 system... when even many professional systems aren't any better (or different). It's just X10 has a forum... that they have read and can post at. Security alarms for the most part... only give their users a feeling of security. The alarms have no means of preventing or halting a crime.

The truth about alarms isn't pretty... and I get the same reactions over and over. I don't mean to offend.. but the truth is the truth.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:57:55 AM by Dave_x10_L »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »

...No security alarm system PREVENTS intrusion. Alarm systems only report....
Very true. The plastic "this house has an alarm" sign does more for preventing an intrusion. Also good locks and proper lighting, already well covered under other topics already, does more for preventing an intrusion.

...Be sure to have a professional security alarm system installed and monitored to collect fully from your insurance provider....
Key word here is monitored. My insurance company gives a 2% discount for an alarm that makes a noise and a 20% discount for one that is monitored also.

I won't open up my entire soapbox on "qualities" of an X10 alarm as I believe a search of the forum will yield more than most want to hear again of my venting. I will say that one of the main drawbacks to a DIY alarm system, such as the X10 one, is that it is also a MIY* one.

*Maintain it yourself one. i.e. DIY not only means Do  it your self but also Debug  it yourself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:49:15 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jethead

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »

Thanks for the info. guys. I think these systems do require some occasional debugging. I know ADT and some of the big companies also use a wireless unit. Does any one do there contracting program with these? I just felt for the $150.00 I may make  from installing these that it may come back to haunt me with people calling and wanting me to come back and trouble shoot their system. It seems like a decent little unit for the money but if I charged people $300.00 installed they may expect the world.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »

...I know ADT and some of the big companies also use a wireless unit...
Ok another soapbox issue for me is how some of the "big companies" lock you into contracts that cost you over $1200 in contract fees in less than 3 years. Rather than rehash the soapbox just check this, http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=15734.msg86602#msg86602

There's no reason to be locked into a contract for more than $10 a month.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.