Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bought HAL Deluxe, now what?  (Read 21771 times)

RSVPRichard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bought HAL Deluxe, now what?
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

Hello all!

Since I first registers a month or so ago I've been exploring what's available for home automation.
I recently purchased HAL Deluxe. I will install it on a yet to arrive PC that will be dedicated for home automation.
(P4 3Ghz, 2GB ram, 80GB HD, XP pro)

I would like to start off slow and get comfortable with how it works.
As you probably know, HAL comes with the following,
(1) HALdeluxe CD-ROM ver 3.6
(1) USB UPB Computer Interface Module and Cable
(1) UPB Lamp Module
(1) HAL Voice Portal

NOTE;
I do not have a phone line. Cell only.
I do have cable for internet.
Everything will be located in a second floor office in my home.

First question;
Is the hardware that comes with it a basic plug and play along with screen setup? (Did I mention I'm a newbie to all this and a novice to PC's)

Second,
I would like to be able to ask HAL "what time is it?" from my livingroom (downstairs) and have it give me the time.

That's it, nothing more until I have an understanding of how it actually works and am comfortable to take it beyond this.

I have read and looked at websites on installations. That's what got me hooked.

I know I'll need a microphone. Which one is my question. Which cable to use and how/where does it connect to the PC?
I'm guessing almost any speaker will work as well. Again, what wire to use, how/where does it connect?

I'm pretty sure this is all basic stuff to most everyone here but I have to start somewhere. The web info has 300% more ads selling than actually showing a step by step install for a new guy.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Bought HAL Deluxe, now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »

Since I first registers a month or so ago I've been exploring what's available for home automation. I recently purchased HAL Deluxe. .........  I'm pretty sure this is all basic stuff to most everyone here ...

HAL (Home Automated Living) <link is a home automation product... completely separate and apart from X10. In many ways they compete with X10. Although there could very well be HAL users here at the X10 forum... there might not be many.

Basically there are two major competing Voice Control software products... HAL and HomeSeer. Here at the X10 forum a fellow user has created a software product called BVC (Bill's Voice Commander). I use BVC and am a big fan of BVC. I even have created a BVC Fan Site with lots of information and links. Since I have never used HAL... I can't say if the information I have collected and or posted will be useful to you or not.

Not having a broadband Internet connect will make your setup attempt more difficult.

I can tell you I most certainly enjoy a Voice Controlled home.... and Home Automation in general.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:27:59 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »

As Dave Stated
Although there could very well be HAL users here at the X10 forum... there might not be many.
You should really be posting on the HAL Forum for setup help,You get a quicker reply!
Once you have it all set up please return and post your experiences Many here including my self would love to read about it!
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »

Wow! There are others!?

Great. Just when I thought my hopes of voice control had been officially dashed and I could go be to my life as usual.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.