Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge  (Read 87676 times)

jadams77

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

Good point about the security.  I hadn't thought of that.  I seem to get a lot of false triggers, my doors would probably be going up and down all night.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »

I seem to get a lot of false triggers, my doors would probably be going up and down all night.

I've had mixed results with the "eye" sensors myself. I had considered installing an auto-closing setup for my garage door. As mine would sometimes.. somehow.. get left open. I would often find it open at night when I checked the doors.

I instead installed a garage door open reminder macro. Which I also show in my YouTube Video (this video has been viewed over 10,000 times).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:17:13 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »

I wounder  how long a set of batteries would last. If it kept triggering as you drove down the road.  ;D

jadams77

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »

You could put a voltage regulator on it and run off the car battery.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 06:15:24 AM »

A voltage regulator may work.

HA Dave

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »

I am having some real success with my occupancy sensing. In testing now... the HA PC arms the (DS7000) alarm when we are both gone. I have even hacked a security remote... and using a universal module and a series of macros can automatically disarm the alarm on return as well.

What I have quickly (for me) realized is just how macro intensive this is. I have already nearly exhausted my monitored codes (although I still have flags) and nearly doubled my macros. I do have a couple spare/back-up CM15A's... so I do still have options.

Has anyone else found suitable solutions or shortcuts for this?

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

Just a quick thought on security...

Dave, I know you've already thought about this, but it's probably worth mentioning to others.

Imagine the scenario... You get mugged and your keys are stolen. Your friendly neighborhood mugger uses your car remote to locate your vehicle and drives it away. He then uses your GPS system (or your car registration if you're low-tech) to locate where you live. On your visor is your garage door opener so he can get at least part way into your house and he knows you're not at home because he mugged you, stole your car and left you stranded at Radio Shark. Your car is equipped with your latest idea in occupancy sensing and thoughtfully disarms your home alarm for your mugger, switches all the important lights on for him and Kate tells him that your wife is not yet home.
How many toys he can load into your car in the time available to him depends on how far from home you got mugged, police response times and how big your vehicle is.

Of course, if you're using your key holder DS10A gadget then your mugger probably wouldn't know to hang the keys up when he gets home, but the idea of a vehicle opening your home completely is pretty scary. I'd rather press a few buttons than have my house emptied.

The above is actually just a scary halloween story and could never possibly happen in real life - unless you were born in London, Paris or New York in which case it's already happened to you. :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

I hate to hi-jack this thread, but I'm working on a solution at the knightmare that addresses Beelocks's concerns.

I'm working on installing APC Biopods at my doors to:

A) trigger a door strike
B) disable the alarm
C) keep track of when my kids roll in at night

Bought the biopods about a month ago and sent 5 emails to greg.fornier for the SDK.  Still no reply.

Does anyone out there have the APC Biopod SDK that they can send to me?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »

Dave, I know you've already thought about this, but it's probably worth mentioning to others.

What.. me think about home security.... I grew up with a Dad that was a cop. I live security.

... the idea of a vehicle opening your home completely is pretty scary.

I spent a couple more bucks and got those keychain remotes. It never made sense to me to have a digital key to the house clipped to the visor. But if someone takes my keys... they get my remote too. However just driving into the garage won't disarm the alarm. And leaving the home caused it to automatically arm the alarm.

Sounds like the addition of fingerprint or pushbutton combination door locks might be a good idea.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »

See, I said you'd already thought of it :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »

See, I said you'd already thought of it :)

No... the bio or push button combination door locks I hadn't... but am now.

HA Dave

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »

I just found a great link for affordable L O N G range (40 meter) power RFID devices (perfect for cars). http://cliste.sailwhatcom.com/

HA Dave

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »

I know some people say, they are concerned that X10, or AHP, or MicroSoft will miss or fail to work. Not send a signal, or the signal will be missed, or the computer will freeze. And I have to admit.. it could happen. Actually thinking about it... I would have to admit sooner or later.. something is going to misfire or not fire at all. Precautions will need to be taken.

But [very likely] the odds of electromechanical/software failure... is lower than the odds of human failure. People forget all the time. Or push the wrong button.

I've read stats on industrial automation in the news before. I've always thought that lost of life due to machine failure is much less likely than human failure. It's really unlikely the HA PC will ever drink too much and pass out... fall asleep watching TV... forgetting to lockup.

HA Dave

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »

I finally think I've found a suitable solution for keeping track of me... while keeping track of my keys at the same time. I modified a micro-switch (one with a stout little arm) as well as a yard sale find picture frame. I now have a Handy place to hang my keys. Which triggers a PowerFlash module and informs my AHP that I am home.

This Occupancy Sensing... has turned into a real project.

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

Dave,
Did you ever get the bugs worked out of your surveillance robot? 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.