Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AlertDialer-use without caller ID?  (Read 2892 times)

phisig74

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AlertDialer-use without caller ID?
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »

I' m a newbie trying to get set up for remote access to my home computer. I have dial up on this computer and it has been suggested to use AutoDialer to dial up the internet remotely. I DO NOT have caller ID on my landline which AlertDialer says you need. Will this program still work without caller ID? AlertDialer also says you need Microsoft Speech SDK. Is this really needed? I'm thinking I don't need Caller ID to tell me I'm dialing my phone, and I don't need it spoken either. If both these are needed can someone recommend a different program than AlertDialer that has simpler requirements? Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: AlertDialer-use without caller ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

Alertdialer needs the caller id as a security feature!
Without it anyone can dial up and activate your system or disable it which could be disastrous!
If your running XP or later you don't need the speech SDK (unless you want the extra Microsoft voices)
AlertDialer uses the Voice to tell you the command was received and action implemented but you can configure it to use a wav file.

If you have the AHP and the myHouse plug-in that will connect you mind you have to make 2 calls before it connects, first to let the system count rings Hang up on the correct ring number then dial back!
Not the best system ! With my cell phone I some times don't hear the first ring so my count would be off!
Also there is no guarantee someone else won't connect between your first and second call thought the chances of that are slim.

I think there are other Phone programs out there that work similar to AHP Doing a Google search may turn up some!
It really depends on the price you put on security ::) :'
I originaly thought of connecting without Caller Id but I didn't need emails stating "Alertdialer cause my house to be robbed" ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

phisig74

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:27:40 PM »

Thanks, Tuicemen. Doesn't the MyHouse plug-in require going through the X10 website which I've read has notoriously inconsistant connectivity from remote computers?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »

Since I'm not on dial-up I can't say for certain if it auto connects with the MyHouse sever or just goes on line!
Just how did you plan on connecting to your PC once it was on line anyways?
Using x10dispatcher's MSN connection or some other way?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

phisig74

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »

i'm using logmein. I've been successful on logging in remotely and gaining access to AHP as long as the computer is already online.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.