Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Announcement! Im a new user here!  (Read 14346 times)

dorothy31

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Announcement! Im a new user here!
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:37 PM »

Hi to everyone! I'm Dorothy and I'm new to here. Hope to have a great time here!   :)+  lol :)

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: Announcement! Im a new user here!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »

Welcome to the forum Dorothy!  :)%  You WILL have fun here!  The users here have a good sense of humor and will go beyond the call of duty to help out with your x10 challenges!  You can't find your solution here, it just can't be found!  Again welcome!   >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »

Welcome.

Now go procure a phase coupler and a pack of x10 filters.  ;D

>!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Welcome to the forum dorothy31

...Now go procure a phase coupler and a pack of x10 filters.

I love good stats.. and I hate not being able to get solid numbers on Home Automation. But, with that said.. I would guess the average X10 customer never uses ether a phase coupler or a filter. Of course I base this mostly on the posts I've read here at the forum... and a handful of informative bits from X10.

For most users... X10 is the alarm company... or the people that make those tiny cameras. Or the Home Automaton.. that allows them to turn the downstairs lights off.. using that stick-on switch at the top of the stairs.

Its always nice to see users that jump into Home Automation with both feet... then join the forum to get the information and support needed. But unfortunately most of the forums (nearly 15 thousand) members don't regularly contribute. I think many come to the forum with an idea or project... and stay only long enough to to get what [information] they need. If your HA setup includes lights in a few rooms, a DS7000, and some cameras... your a true HA user. You also likely needed phase coupling and maybe a filter or so too.

If your setup required you to make modification's to devices to fulfill your needs... AND.. if you see no completion in you HA setup.. your in a even smaller group of HA users. Your interests have caused you to learn more about X10 than most users ever do. That makes you a pretty helpful guy to have around. But don't let depth of interest by the few really serious users (like yourself) jade you. My guess is: Most users... when they learn they have a phase issue.. merely move the TM751 to a different outlet.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:34:30 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »

Welcome to the forum, dorothy31!

If you have any automation questions, feel free to ask them on the forum. It's rare to see any new problems. Most likely at least one person here has experienced a similar challenge. Let the user base here help you keep from reinventing/building the wheel.

Also this forum is for automation questions so try to keep your posts related to automation. e.g. "Check out this automation video I saw on YouTube" rather than a general "What's your favorite YouTube video?"

Feel free to join us for a live chat on automation and general topics at the chat room, http://bdshost.com/ac/.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:30:24 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

Welcome.

"Bits"

Are you being pessimistic or optimistic?  rofl

(I think you are optimistic, I would have recommended the biggest, nastiest, 800 pound gorilla repeater on the market. I'm one of those "half empty" guys)   ;)

BTW hope you had nice Easter.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »

"Check out this automation video I saw on YouTube"

Did you notice how I restrained from plugging my own You Tube Videos?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »

..Now go procure a phase coupler and a pack of x10 filters.  ;D

...Are you being pessimistic or optimistic?  rofl...
That could be a "Seven of one and a half a dozen of the other" question that you won't know till after you've bought the 7. rofl

I'm a big fan of filters! I have one on every UPS and surge strip in my house. So for me I have well over seven in use. My battery charging station has a UPS plugged into a filter.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »

"Check out this automation video I saw on YouTube"

Did you notice how I restrained from plugging my own You Tube Videos?

Dave,
I think you ought to plug'em. They are great at showing what can be accomplished with only a little bit of effort at understanding X10's weak points.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:42:57 PM by dave w »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »

That could be a "Seven of one and a half a dozen of the other" question that you won't know till after you've bought the 7. rofl
Dang! Coffee just shot out my nose.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »

Welcome.

"Bits"

Are you being pessimistic or optimistic?  rofl

(I think you are optimistic, I would have recommended the biggest, nastiest, 800 pound gorilla repeater on the market. I'm one of those "half empty" guys)   ;)

BTW hope you had nice Easter.

Sooner or later. we all come to the conclusion, that our x10 problems were caused by phase and noise issues and were cured by a phase coupler and a handful of filters.

It was meant as dry humor that proves itself true over time.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »

... They are great at showing what can be accomplished with only a little bit of effort at understanding X10's weak points.

I can't disagree with that! My understanding of electronics... is very low. All I know of X10... I've learned here at the forums or through my own trials. Although I do know a bit about basic wiring I am not sure how helpful that's been.

My original Home Theater setup had a phase issue... that I resolved by buying a RR501 and plugging it... along with the TM751 I was already using. As my setup grew... I mapped my circuits... and learned how to stay within what would easily work (keeping entire house codes on one phase or the other). That even involved moving a circuit at the breaker... which was a easy quick-fix.

It wasn't until I discovered BVC (still called BXVC.. back then) that I decided to buy AHP and a passive phase coupler. To this day... I still haven't purchased a filter.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:54:30 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »

To this day... I still haven't purchased a filter.

Although I have switching supplies sprinkled liberally throughout the house, I only need  two "home brew" filters, on a Panasonic microwave and a Toshiba big screen...no X10 filters per se.

I am of the 800 pound gorilla theory. Amplify the X10 signal to the point it overwhelms noise and signal suckers. So far the theory holds, you just need either an ACT or a Volp XTB repeater, no wimpy X10 or Leviton repeaters have the output.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

I am of the 800 pound gorilla theory....... you just need either an ACT or a Volp XTB repeater

I read almost all posts here at the forum... and I have read MANY... GREAT reviews and reports about the JeffVolp XTB repeater. Certainly a product worth considering in any larger setup.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.