Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can you mix wired and wireless cameras...I don't know for sure...  (Read 14445 times)

forthill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I've got 3 wireless xcam2 2.4 GHz cameras and I get a lot of interference while using them via Vanguard.
I was thinking to either buy some X10 wired cameras and maybe use one wireless camera along with 2 wired cameras.

When I called X10 technical support and inquired if I can mix wired and wireless I was told that I cannot - they all have to be wired or all have to be wireless.  However, I've come across several posts on these forums over the past months that seem to indicate that you can indeed have a system that makes use of both types of cameras.

Is this true?  Could I have some/all wired and wireless cameras on ActiveEye motion sensors?
If I use Vanguard would I need to somehow turn off the wireless cameras while viewing the wired cameras?

I might be able to save some cash by converting two of my wireless cameras into wired ones -  I've seen a post here about that.  I think I just need to buy sufficient length of twisted-pair cat-3 cable/wire.

Also, here's the equipment that I have now:
TM751-C Mini-tranceiver
CK18A 4 Pc RF Firecracker Interface Kit
XX11A-2-C 2.4 GHz color anywhere cameras (3)
VK30A w/PS Video receiver
Stuff I just bought:
CM19A Wireless PC tranceiver (actually they upgraded me to MK10A)
MS16A ActiveEye motion sensors (3)
SW26A Vanguard Control Center Software
VA12A USB Video Captue Adapter

*Do I have enough to piece together a reasonably functioning 3 camera wired/wireless system that I can view over the internet via Vanguard?

**Also, can I be viewing the camera activity over the internet while the PC is recording the same activity?
Does Audio get recorded too?

Thanks much!
forthill

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Can you mix wired and wireless cameras...I don't know for sure...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »

When I called X10 technical support and inquired if I can mix wired and wireless I was told that I cannot - they all have to be wired or all have to be wireless.  However, I've come across several posts on these forums over the past months that seem to indicate that you can indeed have a system that makes use of both types of cameras.

Is this true?  Could I have some/all wired and wireless cameras on ActiveEye motion sensors?

It can be done if you use software like ActiveHome Pro to run macros to control everything. Cameras & Motion Sensors by themselves will not be able to do this. The main reason is that you need to remove AC power from the wireless receiver whenever viewing a wired camera.

forthill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:17:31 AM »

Thanks Puck!
Where can I find more info on these macros and how to write them? And AHP is a necessity in order to make all of this work (in order to fire off the macros)?

Thanks,
fh

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »

AHP [Active Home Pro] is the software that is part of the AHP kit along with the CM15A Interface/Controller. Most packages now include all the plug ins like Smart Macros.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »

Where can I find more info on these macros and how to write them?

The ActiveHome Pro section of the forum has a lot of information on writing macros. Basically you would write a macro for each motion sensor you have (these would be the macro triggers). Each macro would turn on the appropriate camera, start the recording, turn on lights, etc. With a mixture of wired & wireless, you would have to plug the wireless receiver into an Appliance Module to allow your macros to turn it on when activating a wireless camera and turn it off for wired cameras.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.